• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

pill poppers of the 50s, questions

they are illegally manufactured (a-la mdma, pressed pills), in South Africa, Southeast african countries and places like Pakistan and middle east countries

Read Money on my Back its goes into the 60's-70'd and expalins what was out there in that time frame. Not quite the 50's but it gives a glimpse into the past.

Search: Monkey on my Back

Go here if you want to see some really really funny ads for drugs (especially the Thorazine one, which is why I mentioned it): http://www.decodog.com/inven/medical.html

As far as Biphetamine vs. Adderall, they're completely different. Adderall used to be Obetrol. Biphetamine was Biphetamine. It's a capsule (Biphetamine 12.5 - 12.5mg black and white capsule and Biphetamine 20 - 20mg all black capsule, aka "black beauties"). They were a Polistirex (sp?) amphetamine time-released resin, like that DXM cough syrup they still sell nowadays that lasts 12 hours no matter what you do to it. From what I've read, they were VERY strong and did indeed last atleast 12 hours. It was amphetamine and dextroamphetamine sulfate. Obetrol (Adderall) is amphetamine sulfate, amphetamine saccharate, d-amphetamine sulfate, and d-amphetamine tatrate. This makes a big difference as far as brand name/rights go (and effects I'm sure...sulfate probably hits a lot better, I hate Adderall and love Dexedrine). Johnny Cash said they were the best of the best compared to Dexamyl and Dexedrine. He used to take Thorazine to knock himself out after being up a few days (just like Seroquel today), so I mentioned it even though it has no recreational value. Biphetamine-T was Biphetamine combined with Quaalude, but it was only on the market for a few months in the late '70s.

Heroin and other opiates weren't that popular in the 50's/60's because there was, honestly, no reason for them to be. It was not only rare, but the stuff was like 3% purity. It was also VERY illegal and the penalties were worse than today. Junk was seen as the worst of the worst, even in drug circles. Why take illegal, low-quality heroin when you can get all the amphetamines and barbiturates you want for extremely low prices? They're substitutes in the economic sense, which was the reason heroin wasn't popular then (same goes for painkillers like oxycodone/hydrocodone/oxymorphone, etc...).

Barbiturates and amphetamines combined create more euphoria while removing the side-effects like drowsiness and jitters that come from the two. Unlike benzos, barbs have euphoria (again, from what I've read...basically alcohol in a powder), don''t cancel eachother out, and are potentiated by amphetamines. Methaqualone was only academically different than short-acting barbiturates in effects, and even worse in some aspects like addiction/withdrawals.

I'd say that the 1950s were the best period in history for getting legal drugs. I think because it was in between the "old" (heroin, coke, morphine, etc...) and "new" (Prozac, Valium, etc...) drug periods, when little was known about highly recreational new substances. You couldn't get legal cocaine or heroin, because there were better and newer things to be had. This is why noone really discusses opiates. The 1970's Controlled Substances legislation changed this all.

alcohol in a powder" - - - when people talk about benzos and not remembering the night before yeah...or slurring when oded.

but in no way, would i think of it that way.

benzos and amphetamines don't cancel eachother out either, but it does take out unwanted side effects from eachother like barbs.

benzos skim the lines of being considered a minor tranq and a minor barb.

xanax and dexedrine is amazing, for that fact i can see how the barb/amp combo had to be the love life back then.

johnny cash would be ashamed if he tryed adderall passed off as an equal to dex ;p
i can't tolerate it in least bit, the dex there is never enough of, even when your swimming in it :D

"japan now- "15,000-25,000 arrests per year amongst an estimated 1-2.2 million users" thats about one in a hundred japanese people being meth users! " -crazyface

Is that alot? 1 in every hundred japanease people being an active meth user (i'm assuming by user, you meant active, not just someone who tried it)? Look how crazily dense the population is in Japan anyways.... And was it a city thing or a rural thing...or everywhere thing? And 1 to 2.2 million seems like a BIG gap.

Though, I remember when I visited Japan, a family friend and I got into a very cool and interesting conversation, and she told me about her friend who came over jacked on meth and seeing shit, acting crazy, et cetera.

Japan = meth and shrooms, while insane crazy prices for hash, and bud if you found that.

On a different note, has anyone tried quaaludes? Can you describe the experience?

Synapse999 said:
johnny cash would be ashamed if he tryed adderall passed off as an equal to dex ;p
i can't tolerate it in least bit, the dex there is never enough of, even when your swimming in it :D

Reread what I said: Biphetamine was better than Dexedrine. Obetrol was shit, nobody took the stuff. It was strictly a diet pill (all amphetamines were, but it was more so), that's why I hate Adderall...the weight loss/anorectic effects are terrible. That's why it's still around, while the stuff that was good all disappeared (except Dexedrine, since it has no barbiturates and won't give you a heart attack like Benzedrine, which was half l-amphetamine or double Adderall's side-effects).

Benzos are tranquilizers in that you take a valium by itself and it just chills you out. Alcohol, on the other hand, not only chills you out (relaxes your muscles) but it also has euphoria when drunk by itself. That's the difference in barbs and benzos: euphoria, OD potential, and dosage. Just like alcohol.

JTMarlin said:
Reread what I said: Biphetamine was better than Dexedrine. Obetrol was shit, nobody took the stuff. It was strictly a diet pill (all amphetamines were, but it was more so), that's why I hate Adderall...the weight loss/anorectic effects are terrible. That's why it's still around, while the stuff that was good all disappeared (except Dexedrine, since it has no barbiturates and won't give you a heart attack like Benzedrine, which was half l-amphetamine or double Adderall's side-effects).

Benzos are tranquilizers in that you take a valium by itself and it just chills you out. Alcohol, on the other hand, not only chills you out (relaxes your muscles) but it also has euphoria when drunk by itself. That's the difference in barbs and benzos: euphoria, OD potential, and dosage. Just like alcohol.

yeah i understood what you meant by biphetamine. i wasnt refering to that in that quote. er. just made a cracked out statement about how adderall sucked. I don't remember..i was out of my head.

But really, most of the sources i have read on amphetamines with old barbs. had been that they were downers... the first speedball of sorts.
Some would use it becaues barbs knock them out, others mixed the two as a dangerous combo. opposed to benzos.
As far as euphoria, thats a crazy arguementive word.... the feeling that can run threw you with xanax..if it aint euphoria. then its quite a chill. ;p

But should defintely be known, benzo is NOT a downer - hence the non-euphoria stated.
Making it extrememly safe combined with amphetamines in today's age.

Unlike barbs and amphetamines of the 50's.
Just to sort it in easy sumed up terms....to keep thread from looking like we are saying things backwards to some. heh.

Here are a couple decent books on the matter, not specifically all on pill culture but there is alot about it in the books. Now that this is bumped I'll post another book or two soon as I traack down the titles or rather find the books in my boxs of books...

The early Daze: 1910-1965

Addicts Who Survived: An Oral History of Narcotic Use in America, 1923-1965
By David T. Courtwright et al. Published by University of Tennessee in 1989, this is an absolutely riveting piece of oral history headed up by the historian who wrote "Dark Paradise." Some really great stuff here from old-timer dope fiends who managed not to die

I Was a Drug Addict
By Leroy Street, as told to David Loth. Though not published by Random House until 1953, the same year Burroughs' "Junkie" was published, this memoir covers the decade the author was strungout on heroin, from the early '10s when it was still legal until the mid-20s, when the federal crackdown was in full swing. Though quite moralistic, this is also a priceless piece of period history and well worth tracking down. Was also published in paper by Pyramid in 1954 and as a hardcover in 1973 by Arlington House

Here is one for the 1960's and 70's:

Cookie: The True Story of a Woman Who Had a Compulsion to Try Everything
By Barbara Quinn. Republished in paperback in 1971 by Belmont Tower, with the new title of "Junkie," this is a pretty straightforward account of life as lived by a butch lesbian heroin addict in NYC in the 1960s. Lots of good junkie business, for those who like that kind of stuff.

Howard Street
By Nathan C. Heard. First published in 1968 and later available in a Signet paperback, this was one of the early heroin street novels I read, and so very influential forme, at least. Set in the black ghetto of Newark, or is it Jersey City, this is all a bit turgid, but very well written and well worth reading.

Here's one for the 1930's:

Opium: The Diary of a Cure
By Jean Cocteau. First published in English in 1933, this is a marvelous collection of epigraphs and line drawings by the French writer-director-artist-addict-polymath, assembled during one of his periodic detoxes from smoking opium. A treasure of a book that belongs on any literate junkie's shelves, this is widely available in a variety of editions. Some of Cocteau's apercus about drugs and addiction are very acute.

Here is one for the 1940's:

Dark Paradise: Opiate Addiction in America Before 1940
By David T. Courtwright. Published by Harvard University in 1982, this is a very readable academic account of what it was like back then. Exhaustively researched, this fascinating book suggests that it's never been that great for us dopefiends--legends of a 19th Century Dope Fiends Paradise, notwithstanding--but that the 1914 Harrison Narcotics Act certainly didn't make things any better.

1950's:

Herbert Huncke
By Guilty of Everything. Published in 1990 by Paragon House, this is the autobiography of "Huncke the Junkie," the man who gave William Burroughs his first shot of dope in the 1940s. (He is a character in Burroughs' "Junkie.") Huncke was on opiates most of his life, reporting to the clinic for his meth up until his death in 1996 at age 81. This book is excerpted, along with Huncke's other scattered writings in "The Herbert Huncke Reader" (Quill, 1997)
*this is the 3rd part [book] from Herbert Huncke Reader and it tells the story how Huncke first came to use heroin. It covers a time period from running away from home at age12 to speaking at a university in the late 60's.

Shit the whole Herbert Hunke reader or Guilty of Everything: The Autobiography of Herbert Huncke are great reads.

Mine Enemy Grows Older
By Alexander King. Published in 1958, this book, along with the subsequent "May This House Be Safe From Tigers" (1959) is an anecdotal memoir of King's life. A now-unknown artist and raconteur famous in the 1950s, King was addicted to morphine for years. Lots of good stuff here about forging scripts, dealing with federal agents and detoxing at the Narcotics Farm in Lexington. Both books available used in Signet paperbacks.

Here is one for the 1960's and 70's:

Cookie: The True Story of a Woman Who Had a Compulsion to Try Everything
By Barbara Quinn. Republished in paperback in 1971 by Belmont Tower, with the new title of "Junkie," this is a pretty straightforward account of life as lived by a butch lesbian heroin addict in NYC in the 1960s. Lots of good junkie business, for those who like that kind of stuff.

Howard Street
By Nathan C. Heard. First published in 1968 and later available in a Signet paperback, this was one of the early heroin street novels I read, and so very influential forme, at least. Set in the black ghetto of Newark, or is it Jersey City, this is all a bit turgid, but very well written and well worth reading.

Like someone else said-William s Burroughs talks about scoring different opiates in just about every book. Kerouac also talks a lot about the dexedrine abuse in the late 40's/50's in the series involving Dean. And of course there is always Hunter, who will school you on just about every drug out there. Does anyone know if he used opiates besides for pain? (I mean before his liver transplant and problems in the 4-5 years before he *sob* died.)

Hunter

I think Hunter prefered booze and stims, but probably used anything around

People where often scripted crazy amounts of Ritalin when it came out in the 50s like 200 mgs. Judy garland used to take up to 45! tabs a day- crazy. Amphetamines were given out like SSRIs now, same with Barbiturates-arr thoes times.

Methqualone was made schedule 1 in 1983, and has not appeared on the black market since, due to its high active dose (300mg) making it economically infeasible for a manufacturer to profit off its manufacture.

See www.erowid.org for more info.

CreativeRandom said:
On a different note, has anyone tried quaaludes? Can you describe the experience?

I have taken the cladestinely manufactured ones from South Africa, usually known as Mandrax. They are notorious for being impure and having other downers/etc in them, so don't take my subjective report as gospel or anything, but the two things they most reminded me of were phenobarbitol and alcohol. They gave me that happy-clumsy-drunk feeling, and the usual 'I'll say anything!'-type openness. Whatever I took (in the Mandrax - supposedly straight methaquaalone, but people say the pills are impure), it was more euphoric than phenobarbitol. Phenobarbitol made me drowsy quicker. I am not really a fan of alcohol, as it dehydrates me horribly, so I liked both phenobarbital and methaquaalone better than alcohol. The barbs gave me that messy drunk feeling without the physical liquid slosh in my stomach. Just my experience. Very different from a benzo buzz, more 'messed up' rather than 'calm,' more 'loud drunk' than 'blank Xanax zombie.'

JTMarlin said:
Reread what I said: Biphetamine was better than Dexedrine. Obetrol was shit, nobody took the stuff. It was strictly a diet pill (all amphetamines were, but it was more so), that's why I hate Adderall...the weight loss/anorectic effects are terrible.

Damn, and I read some posts and looked over at my Adderall and thought I had Andy Warhol's Black Beauties... oh well. At least I love my Adderall. And perhaps the decreased side effects will result in a longer life for me, though I don't count on that by any means.

Synapse999 said:
But should defintely be known, benzo is NOT a downer - hence the non-euphoria stated.
Making it extrememly safe combined with amphetamines in today's age.

Little confused here. Totally not being a dick, but not sure what you mean by 'downer.' Benzos do knock people out, make them clumsy, make them feel uninhibited and so on. Also, some people do catch euphoria off benzos; in particular, I can get a wildly happy buzz off a pipe of weed and a couple Valiums. I agree that they are much, much safer than barbiturates due to the dosage curve; it's a LOT harder to OD on benzos. I agree with you that it is safer to combine benzos with amphetamines than it is to combine barbiturates with amphetamines. But, people still need to watch doses somewhat and not go totally crazy.

And +1 for wishing I also grew up in the 1950s. I think we have better food now though.

Thank you to everyone for the many interesting links and book recommendations! Can this thread be archived?

love
mettray

mettray, your posts are always welcomed--I just ordered a book--highly recommended, somewhat small scale publishing, out of print shit, but from a drug addicted pharmacist from the 50s...no hearsay here...he made his bread and butter selling. My dad was a greaser, before getting into the -- well, into things --but now he is straight and narrow, and a granddad....

but, yea. I mean--imagine the limited regulations on drugs back in the 50s...well, most of us OD regulars would be dead, or rich, or both.....but, alas, we will never know. But, how times have changed.

BTW, just got off the phone with my dad and he said the big thing in NYC during his time was codeine....pills and liquid, but apparently, these drinkers were looked very down upon. I will try and find out more.

swybs

Mettrey,

This is supposedly SA main drug drug problem. Than 'mandies' can be bought OTC from some DS and they are smoked-many poorer native black SA smoke em and pass out out for a minute then stumble too in a dase-crazy!

Mettrey,

This is supposedly SA main drug drug problem. Than 'mandies' can be bought OTC from some DS and they are smoked.
-many poorer native black SA smoke em and pass out out for a minute then stumble too in a dase-crazy!