• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

opiates and teeth decay

D_DOOD

Bluelighter
I've heard people say that esp. H causes the teeth to become yellow and fall out, maybe because the liver damage in some way, the only medical explanation i've been able to find about the reason for the damage is the dry mouth that opiates cause...what do you think? how is your experience with your teeth?

No, opiates do not directly cause tooth decay...maybe lack of hygiene associated with certain lifestyles...:\

I think it's crack that really fucks up your teeth and as many heroin users also use crack, this could be the reason.

Basically crack dissolves the enamel on your teeth so they rot and end up on the floor.

I think the only real side effect of heroin is constipation and, of course, addiction.

if your chasing it then you will find the backs of your teeth will remain black for many years after stopping(from personal experience)

^^really?! I think you have to smoke a hell of a lot to get this as I've never seen any black atuff on my teeth and i've smoked a fair bit. The onlt discolouration I got was a little brown staining between the two front teeth.

lift your tongue up,tilt your head forwards,then look in the mirror.most users i know suffer from this.i have not used for 6 months before and theres still been traces there.and yes i do brush the backs of my teeth.

my teeth are pretty white. didn't change much, maybe just a bit becuase of the sigs but i quit that.

Ahh, I know what you mean. Sorry I read your post as the back teeth will get black not the back of your teeth. I've definitely got a lot of staining behind my teeth - I thought it was from smoking fags but now that you mention it it certainly got a lot worse after all the gear I was chasing.

Well, that cleared that up!!

amnesiaseizure said:
I think it's crack that really fucks up your teeth and as many heroin users also use crack, this could be the reason.

Basically crack dissolves the enamel on your teeth so they rot and end up on the floor.

I think the only real side effect of heroin is constipation and, of course, addiction.

Crack kills BILLIONS of gum cells upon contact during inhalation... which is why alot of chronic crack smokers have thier teeth fall out.

Eegads thats crazy TexasAKS. Why do people persist against the mainline revolution? It is inevitable, it is futile to resist!

I've never heard of H causing any tooth decay or calcium/phosphorus interference.

A friend of mine said at first he thought maybe opiate-related dental damage was due to the fact that opiates dehydrate you and this somehow damages the teeth. Then he said he "found out" that it was because opiates "give you a sweet tooth." I don't know if he actually read a study about this somewhere or if he just said that because they give him a sweet tooth.

Also, I imagine if you're really heavily addicted and spend a lot of your time nodding or sleeping, you're not gonna brush or floss much.

That's exactly what I was talking about when I mentioned the lifestyle thing...
If you're homeless on top of all that, you probably (note: I said probably) don't brush/floss enough, either...

opiates don't dehydrate you. they don't harm your liver. they don't make your teeth fall out.

heroin typically doesn't effect the physical appearance of its users except maybe make chronic users age a lot slower. it's not like most stimulants which are actually physically bad for you.

amnesiaseizure said:

the hardcore H addicts I know won't even fuck with crack. dunno where you got this one.

addiction is the side effect of anything that is positively reinforcing. a lot of people are addicted to tv, to music, to money, to power, to sex, to the internet, to food, to video games, to whatever.

if opiates were legal and widely available, heroin addiction wouldn't be a problem either.

its not that the smack reacts with the body in some way,just that when the smoke congeals it leaves behind a solid tarry substance,most of this substance apears on the tube you chase it with and on the backs of your teeth,where over the years it builds up.you wouldnt notice it unless you look for it as detailed in my other post.smack does also give you a sweet tooth,i think because it lowers blood sugar levels.crack realy fucks your teeth up.

AxL BLaZe said:
the hardcore H addicts I know won't even fuck with crack. dunno where you got this one.

That's probably a thing of your place, 'cos almost all the hardcore H addicts I know DO fuck with crack

Axl Blaze, I got it from my expereince that's all. If heroin users in your area don't touch smack then fair ebough, around mine lots of them use both. There have also been reports outlining how more and more heroin addicts are now also using crack and that it's a fairly new trend.

I dunno the definite truth but I know if the guy you're buying your gear from also has white then you often think "ah fuck it, i'll have a bit of that too", for some it's the only way they can get the energy to get up and do stuff instead of nodding off!

^most heroin users i know will take crack when they have extra money. certainly most heroin users take crack that i know of.

The Young Geezer said:
I know methadone causes tooth decay/loss after years of use, H, never heard about it doing it.

Methadone DOES NOT cause tooth decay. The reason some ppl who are on heroin/methadone get more cavities is mainly down to two reasons: they dont clean their teeth properely, many drugs inc methadone cause the saliva in the mouth to dry up - this is the main cause for cavities. The saliva acts to serve as a protective barrier which methadone causes it to dry up, hence tooth decay.

So the solution is to drink more water, brush ya teeth more, and make sure your methadone is sugar free.

Last edited: