Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Mushrooms around melbourne 2005?

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Mushrooms around melbourne?

Im no expert on mushrooms at all but i thought that it was near impossible to find mushrooms at this time of year around melbourne! A friend came over with a whole bag he said he picked?! Why is it so that they are suddenly appearing this time of year?

[Edit: Location removed. BT]

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes i am waiting. but is it still possible to find them around melb?

We have had a lot of rain recently and it hasn't been very hot, so I guess it's possible. I'd be sckeptical though - check them out carefully.

i usually see patches of mushrooms around after rain - don't think they're magic though

Let's keep this one unique instead of going over old ground - summer growth of 'magic' mushrooms due to heavy rain and cyclonic weather conditions is a good point to discuss now. ;)
BigTrancer :) [/B]

would 'sumer growth' mushrooms differ to that of ur typical winter ones?

Re: Mushrooms around melbourne?

mista_200 said:
Im no expert on mushrooms at all but i thought that it was near impossible to find mushrooms at this time of year around melbourne! A friend came over with a whole bag he said he picked?! Why is it so that they are suddenly appearing this time of year?

[Edit: Location removed. BT]

We used to get them in queensland during summer.

Always better mushrooms in victoria during winter though.

Last edited:
BigTrancer said:
Please refer to this thread for 2004 Mushroom Season information (747 replies, much MUCH information): http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=132317&highlight=mushroom

Let's keep this one unique instead of going over old ground - summer growth of 'magic' mushrooms due to heavy rain and cyclonic weather conditions is a good point to discuss now. ;)

BigTrancer :)

Just changed the thread title to Mushrooms around Melbourne 2005 'cause I'm sure it will eventually become one of those year-long threads. Feel free to alter if you feel it isn't fitting. Perhaps Summer Mushroom Season in Melbourne? Up to you.

i would be very doubtful that these mushrooms are active (magic) mushrooms. Unless they were picked last winter. The usual psilocybe subareginousa only usually grow at the hight of winter. P.subs have a rusty brown cap, cream white gills.. and stain blue when you pick them or press them. I havnt heard of many reports of cubensis growing around vic but just in case they are quite large and have off-white caps with yellow in the middle. It would be helpful if you post a picture of these mushrooms so we can identify it as i would be very weary of any fungus you find at this time of the year.

endlesseulogy said:
i would be very doubtful that these mushrooms are active (magic) mushrooms. Unless they were picked last winter. The usual psilocybe subareginousa only usually grow at the hight of winter. P.subs have a rusty brown cap, cream white gills.. and stain blue when you pick them or press them. I havnt heard of many reports of cubensis growing around vic but just in case they are quite large and have off-white caps with yellow in the middle. It would be helpful if you post a picture of these mushrooms so we can identify it as i would be very weary of any fungus you find at this time of the year.
Top post endless!

I haven't heard of cubensis in Vic either, but i guess that if they did grow here, it would be up north more towards the NSW border where the weather would more suit them.

Pretty much all we get in Vic are Psilocybe Subaeruginosa. Although we have had a heap of rain, it is still way too warm for them to be growing. As Endlesseulogy said, I would be very scepitcal.

Here's a pic of some Subaeruginosa's. Note that these are only a few cm's tall.

23849100_1495-med.jpg

I've gotten subs to pop up in mid-summer before by watering a patch of mycelium a couple of times a day, they were very small and not in a good condition but they did come up. It's all about humidity rather than the time of year, it's just that melbourne sumers are just too dry for mushroom growth.

I checked out a few patches that were pretty big in winter, a few weeks back when there was tonnes of rain, there was plenty of mushrooms that normally i dont see unless its winter, like pretty much every sort of mushroom i normally see growing side-by-side with the magic ones were up, but no subs :(

I reckon its gonna be a killa winter for them though =D

I've been picking mushrooms every year since about 1997 and have never encountered them as early as feburary. Then again I wouldn't except to find them so I haven't looked. But realisiticly I doubt it. After rains around May or even April start searching.