• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Morphine questions?

Nuke_Africa

Bluelighter
Say you had morphine hydrochloride trihydrate, which is 3 water molecule for every morphine. Say I weighed out 100 mg of this MorphineHCL.3H2O how does that compare to 100mg of anhydrous morphine HCL or how would those compare to anhydrous morphine freebase, like 1 gram of base = 1 1/4 of the HCL or something? I was also wondering how one goes about preparing these states. Say you had morphine freebase, how would you converting that into trihydrated HCL. when you have aqueous morphine solution and add enough HCL for it all to dissolve and then evap you have anhydrous morphine hydrochloride right?

The H2O refers to water of crysallisation, to prepare it in the anhydrous state one would dissolve in a suitable anhydrous solvent then gas with anhydrous HCl.

OK, so anhydrous morphine HCL would be just morphine base dissolved in dilute HCL and then evaporated, and morphine HCL trihydrate would be morphine that crystallizes from the aqueous solution upon being bubbled with HCL gas?

If you had anhydrodrous Morphine HCl, that is about 1.15 times more potent that Morphine HCl . trihydrate.

Morphine freebase (which is uncommon) is about 1.3 times more potent than Morphine HCl . trihydrate.

Morphine sulphate is also common, but commenting on the level of hydration of street morphine is a waste of time.

OK, so if I had a codeine free base which is sesquihydrated and dissolved in alchol and evap the alcohol would I have anhydrous codeine?

If you had anhydrodrous Morphine HCl, that is about 1.15 times more potent that Morphine HCl . trihydrate.

Morphine freebase (which is uncommon) is about 1.3 times more potent than Morphine HCl . trihydrate.

Morphine sulphate is also common, but commenting on the level of hydration of street morphine is a waste of time.

What exact streight of deluted HCL acid needed to convert morph base to morph HCL??
36%,10%, 5%, 3.5%? 5% would be enough?

Any concn will do it's how mucvh in total you add that's important (just enough to give 1 mol of HCl for every mol of morphine