Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

benz, meth, dex ... whats the difference

the dirty beatnikz

Bluelighter
how does the chemical differences between the three types of speed effect their metabolosis by the body? and how do they work differnetly?

there arent three types of speed. speed, crystal meth, and ice are all methylamphetamine. all metabolised the same way.
dexies are the dextro rotatory isomer of amphetamine.

i think he means whats the difference methamphetamines, dexamphetamines (dexies) and probably benzamphetamines(which i dont know about)..
im guessing there would be subtle changes with each..

Speed is generally amphetamine.
Meth/Ice is methylamphetamine
Dexies are dextroamphetamine(sp?)
Benz (if you mean bzp) this is like speed but different. It's not popular for a reason.
Check out www.erowid.org to find out the differences between them.

Dextroamphetamine or dexedrine is as stated the dextro rotatory form (d)of amphetamine, prepared and marketed as the suphate. It is prepared in 5 and 10 mg tablets and in 5, 10, and 15mg slow release forms. It was (still is ?)produced in a 1mg/ml mixture known as an "Official Elixir"
Benzedrine is a mixture of isomers (dl), produced in 5mg and 10mg capsules and 15mg slow release caps. The (d) form is available as dextroamphetamine phosphate, in 5mg tablets
Methylamphetamine was once marketed under "Desoxyn" and "Fetamin" and was sold in similar dose preparations to Dex. Often prepared in hydrochloride form, it has a longer halflife and is generally regarded as a more powerful stimulant. It is no longer used in medicine. (Correct me if I'm wrong here)
The major difference with the action of meth over Dex is the ratio between central and peripheral activity. From Goodmans and Gilmans, "The Pharmacological Basis of Theraputics".....Small doses[meth]have prominent central stimulant effects without significant peripheral actions; somewhat larger doses produce a sustained rise in systolic and diastolic blood pressure due in man mainly to cardiac stimulation.....
What this basically means is that there is a different effect between methamphetamine and amphetamine on the cardio- vascular system and arterial dilation at various dosages. Most other effects are regarded as similar. Meth is regarded as a more potent dopamine producing agonist. It's longer halflife is attributable to it's metabolic pathway. It is first demethylated to amphetamine. From this point amphetamines follow one of three initial routes either via para-hydroxylation, Beta hydroxylation,or deamination before being excreted in the urine as either 4-hydroxynorephedrine, Norephedrine or Hippuric acid respectively.
Rates of this excretion are controlled by urine acidity. Increasing the acidity causes more of both metabolised and unchanged amphetamine to be excreted. Alkaline urine slows excretion of the metabolite, with urine showing lower levels of the unchanged amine over time. Cases of overdose have in the past been partly treated by acidifying urine with ammonium chloride, allowing swifter removal of the drug.
Amphetamines have an elimination half-life of 10 - 30 h. They can remain in the body and can be detected in urine up to 48 hours after oral administration.
The difference between ice and meth is that ice is the oxidised product of pseudoephedrine and meth is the reduced product. Ice would follow similar paths of metabolism but is somewhat different in it's activity on dopamine and other neurotransmitters.
phase_dancer

"Amphetamines have an elimination half-life of 10 - 30 h. "
so how long would the bit of wizz i have left from this weekend last? was planning to take a break until easter
frown.gif

great info phase_dancer, couldnt be bothered reading my copy of goodman and gilman.
but ice is the oxidised version??? u mean methcathinone? im not convinced of this.

SirLSD Oops! thanks for the correction.
Ice is in fact 4-methylaminorex dl-cis-2-amino-4-methyl-5-phenyl-2-oxazoline, C10H12N2O (mol. wt. 176.22) or 4-methyl Aminorex
Street names, U4Euh or Ice
My confusion lay with the mistake of thinking it was synthesised from ephedrine. It is fact synthesised from phenylpropanolamine ( a methyl group different)
From the Lycaeum
..."A new clandestine, synthetic drug has been reported in Florida. Ice,
also known as U4Euh on the street, is synthesized from phenylpropanolamine
(PPA), a central nervous system stimulant, and cyanogen bromide, a derivative of the poisonous gas, cyanide. The chemical name of Ice (U4Euh)is 4-methyl aminorex.
Aminorex was researched as a diet aid between the 1950s and 1960s.
McNeil Laboratories received a patent and began testing it in 1964.
Aminorex was subsequently shelved because its stimulant properties were too
potent. When taken at lower doses, Ice produces amphetamine-like effects. A
hallucinogenic effect, similar to PCP, occurs at higher doses......"
Check out the complete article: http://rhodium.lycaeum.org/chemistry/u4euh.notes.txt
phase_dancer
[This message has been edited by phase_dancer (edited 19 March 2001).]

my partner had ice once in the early 90's,and still states to this day that it is by far the most potent of all the drugs he has ever taken and also one of the most intense experiences. The amount that you need to feel total and complete euphoria (hence the name U4euh) is minute compared to other drugs that produce the same effect. he had a rock the same size as a matchhead, and didn't come down for about 12 hours A while back people were getting confused and saying that they had ice...when it was really meth. I think that if the general drug taking public got their hands on 4-MA thinking it was meth, there'd be trouble abound...
------------------
brisvegas gotta love it
Do you believe it when you see it, or do you see it when you believe it?

pom^:... I believe the "elimination half-life" referred to in the above posts is actually the time taken for it to be removed from your body, not the time it takes for un-ingested speed to 'go off' and not be active any more.
The speed you hypothetically have now will last more than long enough for you to have your break if you keep it in a dry place.
BigTrancer
smile.gif

------------------
Load universe into cannon. Aim at brain. Shoot.

thanks phase dancer. you answered my questions well..
you seam to have an outastanding undertsanding of both organic chemistry and bio chemistry?... hopefully by the time i sit my exam i will also:]
being interested in drugs does help me pay attention in those organic lectures
smile.gif

thanks again.

important note: 4-MA is PMA, 4 methylaminorex is 4-MAR.
not to be confused.
smile.gif

phase- meth is very often mistakenly called ice. even alot of informative websites make this mistake. excellent post btw.
smile.gif

Probably correct in assuming most ice around is probably meth.
4- methyl aminorex, as other posts mention, is a very powerful drug and I'm sure there would be more accounts describing such effects if it were around.
The effects described from that (around at present)which is said to be ice, seems more like a mild speed hit.
Yes we do like org. and bio. chem. But i'm just an undergrad too. It's only that I was interested in this subject for years before I finally hooked up as a student.
If you enjoy something it certainly keeps you going back for more - keep up the study beatnikz!
phase_dancer

thanks for pointing that out ghost, i didn't even realise i left out the R...
smile.gif