Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

antidepressants: aurorix/moclobemide warning

nene2

Bluelighter
serotonin syndrome - antidepressants aurorix/moclobemide warning

Just concerned about the mix of antidepressants with xtc, especially aurorix/moclobemide. I had little awareness of the dangers of mixing antidepressants with an e, and think more awareness could be put across by doctors at the time of prescribing.

My story:

I am a 23 year old women living in wellington, new zealand.

I was prescribed aurorix for depression by my doctor. She did not warn me of any interactions that could be life threatening, despite the fact she knew i was a regular amphetamine user and occasionally took mdma and other drugs.

I have been on antidepressants since i was 18 and have tried quite a few types. I had never noticed any problems with mixing drugs with them before, so maybe this gave me the feeling that antidepressants were no danger.

I had only 6 mdma experiences in my entire life before. I was very much more into amphetamines. usually i felt little from mdma.

I had a total of 3 mdma experiences over the one year period of taking aurorix. It wasn't until i took the 3rd pill that i had a frightening experience. I had believed the first 2 e's taken with this medication just happened to be incredible mdma pills I was naive enough to think i had in the past taken very weak pills.

Pill 3: September 2003

Was on a dose of 1200mg moclobemide. Which is over the recommended max dose. My doctor had just lifted me to this level from 900mg and ensured me aurorix was a very safe drug and was fine over the recommended max dose.

I had just finished an exam at uni. So thought an e sounded good! I ended up taking half a pill, i had not consumed any other substance including alchohol that night

Within 20 minutes of dropping the e, i began noticing hallucinations in which people started to look like cartoons and not real. Colours were very bright and i also felt like i was floating. Intense waves were coming on which was making me very uneasy. It was becoming very intense and scary in the matter of seconds! I had only taken a half so i was beginning to stress as i was beginning to loose control of myself and i had only just dropped! I was in a bar at the time with my friend, and i insisted that we leave as i had a feeling i was about to loose it and needed to leave quick! I do not rememeber anything past this moment that i stepped outside the bar.

This is what happened per account of my friend who looked after me that night.

After leaving the bar i crossed the road and went down an alley way in which i lay down. I began having trouble communicating to my friend, and was sweating. I started to talk random crazy things.

Soon my eyes were moving around like crazy and i was having weird muscle movements. My friend left me to find some water. When she got back 10 minutes later i could no longer talk any sense to her, my eyes looked like they were about to pop out of my face and my body was having spasms.

I no longer knew who my friend was and could not respond to anything she asked me. When she tried to comfort me i would scream help and police. I was screaming that i couldn't see. She was very scared and rang my boyfriend for help and told him i was overdosing.

Soon i started to not talk anymore and went very white. My friend said she will never forget the look of fear on my face at this stage. I looked like my brain was in a lot of pain.

My boyfriend arrived very quick and they decided not to take me to the hospital in fear the police would be involved.

They decided to drive me home to bed and watch over me.

My friends said this is where things went crazy. On the drive home, I would fall unconscious then within 30 seconds-2 minutes i would suddenly wake back up and i was in an intense state of hypermania.

I keep banging my head repeatably againest the inside car window my face was bleeding and i was screaming for help.

Then suddenly i would fall unconsious again. My friends were terrified and would slap me, screaming at me until i would wake up. My body would have random fits and i bited part of my lip off very bad.

This cycle of going unconcious and waking up and going crazy went on for a few hours. I slowly became better and better, and i would now start saying random things in between my cycles of going unconscious.

I remember when i woke up in bed the next morning, my entire body hurt and i was cut up in places and soon had many bruises too. The inside and outside of my head was very sore. I was in a severe state of confusion as i didn't know what had happened to me. My friend and boyfriend were very upset and explained what had happened. It felt like ages before i started feeling straight again too. I was worried my brain was damaged.

I noticed a change in me after this night. I started crying unpredictably for no reason. Up to 10 times a day. I would get terrible anxiety attacks where i would start shaking. And the depression got very severe. I felt that i had lost all happiness. I hardly left my bed for months, i only wanted to sleep.

It has just been over a year now since that night. I am a lot better now, but not the same as i was before that night. I still suffer terrible anxiety attacks randomly and have noticed other changes. Mainly being hard to focus, poor memory, no sexual interest.

I only found out info about the interaction this week randomly on the net. I had no idea it could of been fatal, i feel so lucky to be alive.

I do not want anyone to go through the traumatic experience i did and wish doctors could spend a few minutes explaining any dangers that could occur when prescribing. Even though i mixed an illegal drug, drugs are very around and can be a big part of peoples lives so i think is important to mention by the doctor.

Last edited:
Doctors are definitely aware of this interaction.

I'm terribly sorry that this happened. I was prescribed Aurorix at one stage (for about six months); I took 600mg per day

The Aurorix package does in fact contain a warning that the drug should not be mixed with any others that affect serotonin (including other antidepressants).

It is not the pharmaceutical company's job to inform you of interactions with illegal drugs, though in the Aurorix packaging they do hint at that.

If you take illegal drugs, it is up to you to be informed of the potential interaction with any other medications you're taking. Typing aurorix and MDMA, or moclobemide and MDMA into google produces a plethora of pages warning of the potentially dangerous interaction.

MIMS (in Australia) lists the following drug interactions:

Drug Interactions: Selegiline; clomipramine; SSRIs, TCAs; dextromethorphan; serotonin agonists; pethidine; metoprolol; cimetidine; see full PI

MDMA is effectively a SSRI and a serotonin agonist.

If your doctor knew that you took pills, then perhaps he was lax in not explaining the potential for danger from the interaction. Nevertheless, it is your responsibility to know what your illegal drugs will interact with... at least in my view. The amount of information available on the interaction on google is extremely large.

Last edited:
Thanks for your story, nen2. It sounds like a horrible experience.

Here's a thread I posted some time ago regarding Aurorix and MDMA. At the time there was a dangerous practice occurring in which people were intentionally taking MAOI antidepressants with MDMA to roll harder, despite the high likelihood of serious negative side-effects :-o

BigTrancer :)

On a side note...for gods sake, if anyone ever sees someone in a state anything like the one you were in, please, please, please take them to the hospital/call an ambulance. Doctors aren't there to dob you in, they're there to save your life.

You will not end up in jail...but you may save your friend's life!