• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Cannabis: Should its medical use be legal?

haste

Bluelight Crew
Cannabis: Should its medical use be legal?

Cannabis is being used for medical reasons in several countries - including Australia, the United States, Canada and the UK. It is even prescribed by some doctors.
However, patients using cannabis - many of whom suffer from terminal illnesses such as AIDS and cancer - have complained about being harassed by law enforcement agencies and risking prosecution because of the drug's illegal status.
Cannabis gets its "kick" from tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), an active ingredient in the female Indian hemp plant. THC is actually sold legally in pill form in the US under the trade name Marinol.
THC is a muscle relaxant and also increases appetite, which makes it suitable for a number of medical purposes. It's considered very helpful for treating glaucoma and AIDS as well as easing the nausea associated with chemotherapy and reducing the muscle spasms associated with multiple sclerosis. THC can also be used to treat depression, chronic insomnia, pre-menstrual tension and digestive disorders.
In California, USA, the 840-member Los Angeles Cannabis Centre provides marijuana to its members - 80 percent of whom are HIV positive. This is allowable under Californian State law provided patients obtain a note from their doctor condoning the use of marijuana for medical reasons. However, marijuana possession is still illegal under US Federal laws so the centre's members are always at risk of arrest.
In Australia, cannabis possession is illegal in all States except for South Australia and the ACT, where it has been decriminalised. Patients who possess limited amounts of medical cannabis in these states face a civil citation rather than criminal arrest or prosecution.
Australians using cannabis for medical purposes don't appear to be as forthcoming as Americans so it's hard to obtain any firm figures.
An Australia-wide survey by the Nimbin Hemp Embassy showed that that 63% of respondents had discussed medicinal cannabis use with health workers. Of these, 56% had discussed it with a doctor.
The risk of arrest and prosecution was a major concern to most medicinal cannabis users who replied to the survey. Concerns about variability in supply, quality and high street prices were also mentioned by many of the respondents.
One argument against legalising cannabis for medical reasons is it would create a legal loophole. During Prohibition in the United States, alcohol could still be consumed for medical reasons and bootleggers were able to exploit this. What's to stop cannabis dealers from doing the same thing?
Also, the long-term effects of cannabis use still aren't fully known. Some studies have linked the drug to psychosis. However, the evidence - based on fairly small samples of extremely heavy cannabis users - has been inconclusive.
Researchers have also found that a majority of people using cannabis for medical reasons smoke the drug, which increases their risk of lung cancer and respiratory ailments. However, cannabis can also be taken orally or via an inhaler.
What are your thoughts?
------------------
....SLIDE BENEATH THE CITY......feel free to visit
http://clix.to/hastey

im all for it..
my grandfather/great grandfather (cant remember exactly) used to be prescribed cannabis in the UK.. he took it in an inhaler similar to the large asthma inhalers that some people use..

If anyone feels like bumping this over to Drug Discussion Board, I think it would fit right in. If on the other hand, it's considered a more social thread, cool
smile.gif

BigTrancer
smile.gif

------------------
Load universe into cannon. Aim at brain. Shoot.

I'm all for it (just got to find an excuse to be perscribed it
wink.gif
) Seriously tho I have a friend who uses it for pain relief and he says its the best thing ever. (he broke his back in a car accident - serious pain :p )
Of course hes alway has some wicked gear - I like visiting
smile.gif

Apparently thats the only thing that really helps him. I can see the legitimate uses for it. Why deny somebody that sort of relief?
------------------
Don't take life too seriously, no one makes it out alive anyway.

Sorry BT, my fault - I tried posting it in the Drug discussion forum but I could not get in
frown.gif

------------------
....SLIDE BENEATH THE CITY......feel free to visit
http://clix.to/hastey

I'll move it over if it'll let me, and put in my own response when I get a chance...