Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Victorian Legal Issues

Pleonastic

Bluelighter
I'm getting this information from the Australian Drug Foundation website, in particular the page on drug laws.
Drug laws
The Federal Customs Act covers the importing of drugs while each state has laws governing the manufacture, possession, distribution and use of drugs, both legal and illegal. Drug laws in Australia distinguish between those who use drugs and those who supply or traffic drugs. Victoria Police recently introduced a cannabis cautionary scheme for those caught using cannabis for the first time. Under this scheme first time offenders are formally cautioned by police then referred to a drug treatment centre. Police have also begun trialling a cautionary scheme for heroin and other illicit drugs.
The Drugs, Poisons and Controlled Substances Act (DPCSA) includes these major drug offences: use, possession, cultivation, and trafficking:
Use includes smoking, inhaling of fumes, or otherwise introducing a drug of dependence, into a person's body (including another person's body). (A drug is defined as a "drug of dependence" if listed as illegal except under prescribed conditions.) Generally there is a lesser penalty for the use of cannabis compared to other drugs. Victoria Police recently introduced a cautionary scheme for those caught using cannabis for the first time. Under this scheme first time offenders are formally cautioned by police then referred to a drug treatment centre. Police have also begun trialling a cautionary scheme for heroin and other illicit drugs.
Possession is the most common offence. Possession means having control or custody of a drug. Knowledge of such possession must be proven in court. Possession applies both to drugs found on the person or their property, unless it is proven the drugs do not belong to that person. In Victoria, those found in possession of a small quantity of cannabis (50g or less) for the first time are cautioned formally then referred to a drug treatment centre. The penalty for the possession of any drugs not related to trafficking is $3000 or one years imprisonment or both.
Cultivation is the act of sowing, planting, growing, tending, nurturing or harvesting a narcotic plant. Any of these activities constitutes the offence of cultivation. If a person cultivates 'a trafficable quantity', or intends to sell even a small quantity it is likely that charges for possession, cultivation and trafficking will be laid.
In Victoria if the court is satisfied that the cultivation is not related to trafficking, then the penalty is a fine not more than $2,000 and/or imprisonment not longer than 1 year. If the cultivation is related to trafficking the penalty is a maximum of 15 years imprisonment or $100,000 fine or both.
Trafficking is a very serious offence. (The DPCSA defines trafficking to include: the preparing of a drug of dependence for trafficking; manufacturing a drug of dependence, or selling, exchanging, agreeing to sell, or offering for sale, or having in possession for sale, a drug of dependence.) If this is done in commercial quantities, the penalties are extremely severe. Bail may be refused unless there are exceptional circumstances. The criminal charge of murder is the only other offence that has a similar bail condition. In Victoria, the penalty for trafficking a commercial quantity of a drug of dependence, is a maximum of 25 years imprisonment and up to a $250,000 fine.
Is this information reliable? If so, what does this mean if you are stopped on the street under the influence. I was under the impression that you had to be in possession to be in trouble, but this seems to say otherwise.
Any opinions?
------------------
"Seek the wisdom of the ages, but look at the world through the eyes of a child."

I don't think that "being under the influence" is the same as "use". I could be wrong here but I think "use" constitutes being caught actually administering the drug in some way? If use was to include being under the influence then it would have to mention this in the wording somewhere. Let me know if I am way off mark here!
Technically you could get done if the police are able to prove that were under then influence of an illegal sunstance which you knowingly took but they would have to prove how it was administered and have evidence of you taking it. Thus charging you with use. Difficult to prove methinks
smile.gif
Don't know if cops would bother to blood test some happy, friendly ravers who are unlikely to cause them any grief.
Who really knows when you can get charged with possession of a smoking implement which goes onto your criminal record even though you can legally but it from a shop. Wonder if this will soon apply to e-testing kits in some way? hmmm... "possession of drug testing/identifying tools"??? Perhaps being in possession of a testing kit could prove use??? Anyway I am getting a little off the track. Good post pleonastic - I would be interested to know if use does include being under the influence.

Ironically, 'use' is something you would try and prove in a sell/supply case.
People dependant on the drug they are caught with are looked upon with a certain amount of pity by judges, as opposed to people who are only dealers.
This probably belongs in Media, busts & legal issues, but who can put up with those fucking Americans. Reading some of their comments make us look like geniuses i.e 'The pill was smacky with bursts of speediness' <---??
Enough yank-bashing. Thanks for the info, pleonastic, very interesting.
[This message has been edited by Don Corleone (edited 29 January 2001).]

I was going to put this in Media, busts & legal issues but alot of the time Australian content gets burried there...