Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Magic Mushrooms : Home Grown?

Av

Bluelighter
Hiya, I was wondering if anyone out there has had any success (or knows of anyone
wink.gif
)in growing their own magic mushrooms?
whilst browsing the shroomery i found quite and extensive list for cultivating your own amazonian strain of P.Cubensis, the instructions in the most part seems quite straight forward, it gets a little fiddly towards the end in regards to building your own terrarium and raising the little baby mushies
smile.gif

they actually recommended it as the preffered way in obtaining mushrooms (you know exactly what your getting, once setup costs next to nothing and they are always nice and fresh)
must say, it looks rather interesting.
-Av

All I know is that growing mushrooms using a "pre-made" kit usually never works.. I forgot why though.. but they said it's just better to assemble your own kit..
Plus it's also supposed to be really hard to get successful mushrooms, but I guess if your dedicated enough and you have done your research you should be alright.

my cats uncle use to grow mushrooms...
it was very easy, cost less than $40 to do. simple. the hardest part is patience.
my only advice is watch out for contamination while growing. also when you have grown mushrooms make sure they have no spots or green, and arent getting moldy. they can make you sick...
(Edit: Supplier URLs removed. Please don't post suppliers of ANY substances on Bluelight - BigTrancer)
[This message has been edited by BigTrancer (edited 29 January 2001).]

I was thinking about growing mushrooms a while ago (never got around to it though.. damn..) and ended up sending a few e-mails to Bluelighters who had done it before.. and this is what they said:
Courtesy of Sam S.

There are a lot of receipes out there but I have heard that these two are really good for the first timers. After that you can try different ones to increase your yield:
Simple Cubensis Growing Technique
Magic Mushrooms Growing Guide v3.2
These teks can be found at the shroomery under the Grow/Find + Growing P.Cubensis section.
I would suggest reading through a lot of these teks just to get an idea of what is involved and then asking questions at shroomery. It is not really that hard as long as you dont cut too many corners. Some problem which you may run into since most of these teks are from the states are:
- perlite can be bought from hydroponics shops
- not all chemists will sell you syringes (10cc with long needle) but keep trying
- 1/2 pint jars can be bought from catering shops
Also:
- make sure you let your jars cool down before innoculating
- Incubate your jars upside down, then cakes will have a wider base for support when fruiting
- casing will give higher yields but cakes are easier the first time
- one innoculation hole in the lid of the jar is enough, more holes = more chance of contamination
- take care when making the ramsay seal, it could mean the difference between a good jar and one wasted
- if using the ramsay seal you dont need the bit of tape over the hole on the lid of the jar
- NapySan is 6% hydrogen peroxide, use it in a 1:40 ratio with water to keep you perlite clean and to kill contamination in your mycelium water
- if you see contamination, chuck the contents of the jar. Not worth it.
Some of this stuff may not make any sense right now but it will when you get started.
Good luck,
-Sam

Also I can remember another reply (i can't find it at the moment) saying that it wasn't worth doing unless you paid out $400 for a decent pressure cooker.. everything is just too hard without it..
Hope this helps..
[This message has been edited by riichiee (edited 29 January 2001).]

Yeah, "home grown magic" Apparently, cubes are not that difficult to grow, but they will require a fair bit of committment from the grower.
The first thing to buy is a pressure cooker ~$200. This will save a lot of stuffing around with contaminated jars.
Sterile conditions are paramount, and you will also need to have a place where you can control growing temperatures.
Try the PF tech for starters. Use 250 mm plastic jars (heat proof) inoculated via the honey tech.
Go for the P. cubensis B+ myco cultures. They should be fairly easy to grow and give good results.
There is a lot of info at the shroomery and drooldonkey (http://www.drooldonkey.org/).
Email me if you need any info.
Good luck.
Stone