Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NDARC page on "Hits and Myths"

johnboy

Bluelight Crew
at last they understand....
Do 'smacky' ecstasy tablets really exist?
Ecstasy is a street term for a number of substances that are related to MDMA or methylendioxymethamphetamine. The drug can contain a wide variety of amphetamine-related substances including MDEA, MDA or in the worse case scenario, PMA, the substance linked to the ecstasy deaths in Adelaide. Ecstasy is made by backyard chemists and as a consequence the quality of the drug varies greatly.
Rumours often circulate that some ecstasy tablets are laced with heroin. Some users call these smacky e's, normally due to the pulling down feeling that some people experience when they take them. Most ecstasy users would not have the slightest idea what heroin would feel like to use. Over time, the term smacky e has been used to describe any ecstasy that does not give the user the uplifting effect they were seeking.
Heroin, and other illicit drugs are expensive so it would seem uneconomical for a manufacturer to include these drugs in the 'recipe'. It is far more likely that the user will buy a tablet containing caffeine or paracetamol.
There have been very few ecstasy tablets tested that have actually contained heroin. A recent statement put out by the NSW Police stated that they had seized some tablets that not only contained heroin, but also rohypnol, cocaine and LSD. This was a highly unusual mix.
It is important to be aware that the oral route is ineffective for certain drugs, like heroin, as the stomach destroys them or makes them less effective. Heroin is changed into morphine in the stomach, and once the morphine has been absorbed into the bloodstream, it passes through the liver on its way to the brain. During this journey through the liver, so much of the morphine is destroyed that only a fraction of it reaches the brain. Therefore, swallowing the small amount of heroin possibly contained in an ecstasy tablet would not have much of an effect.
Are ecstasy tablets of today much weaker than they were in the past?
Long-term ecstasy users often talk about the drug being much less potent today than it was in the past. This may be related to the strength of the drug but is also affected by tolerance. Tolerance occurs when a person needs higher doses of a drug to achieve the same effects. Research indicates that users do develop tolerance, often attempting to recapture the feelings of their first ecstasy tablet by taking higher doses. Taking more ecstasy may not increase the perceived positive effects but does increase the potential harms.
An 'active' dose of ecstasy is 120 milligrams of MDMA. Since 1995, police seizures have rarely identified tablets that contained even 100 milligrams of the drug. Recently however, ecstasy manufacturers have been able to make tablets that have far more MDMA than we have had for many years. For long-term ecstasy users it may appear that their prayers have been answered, but in reality this could cause real problems if certain harm reduction strategies are not followed.
People need to remember that patterns of use have changed since the mid 90s. Some users appear to be using larger quantities of ecstasy and using it in ever increasing combinations. As the purity changes users need to modify their use accordingly. Remember that things can go wrong when you take ecstasy. If they do, seek medical help as soon as possible.
Is ecstasy harmless?
People often use myths like this one to justify their own drug use. The minute that a user believes that there is no risk involved when taking a drug like ecstasy, he or she should stop taking drugs.
It is important for users to be aware that ecstasy can cause death. As much as some people do not want to believe this basic fact, it is a reality. Admittedly, the chances of an ecstasy overdose are low, but it can happen.
The toxicity of MDMA is fairly low, however this is not what usually gets ecstasy users into trouble. The majority of ecstasy-related deaths have not been caused by poisoning by the drug, but by where and when people use it, i.e. using it in a hot, crowded environment which may result in death by overheating or dehydration.
What is 'liquid ecstasy' ?
Liquid ecstasy is one of the newest drugs to arrive in Australia and is potentially one of the most dangerous we have seen for a while.
Liquid ecstasy is also known as GHB, GBL, fantasy, liquid E, GBH and Georgia Home Boy. It usually comes as a liquid, available in small vials or bottles. Originally it was available as a clear liquid, but in recent times it has been blue. The name has also been changed to 'blue nitro' . The name of this drug has changed many times due to dealers unable to sell it due to negative publicity. It is not ecstasy in a liquid form.
GHB/GBL when mixed with alcohol increases the depressant effects of both drugs, which may lead to respiratory distress, and in extreme cases, death. When GHB first appeared it was thought that using it with alcohol appeared to be the major cause of overdose. GHB appears to be dose-dependent. Analysis of different vials of GHB/GBL has shown ranges in concentration from 0.5g- 3g. Due to the enormous range, users can never be sure of how much they are actually taking. As more dealers are making their own 'backyard batch' of the drug the difference in dosage can range dramatically. The difference between a 'pleasureable' effect and one that is going to find you in hospital is very minimal, and one that is extremely difficult to judge.
http://www.med.unsw.edu.au/ndarc/questions/default.htm
------------------
"i think i'll stick to drugs to get me thru the long, dark night of late-capitalism..."
Irvine Welsh

wow! a surprisingly reasonable look at mdma and g. free from unfounded scare tactics. no mention of death as a common side effect experienced on first try! could it be the tide is turning (very slowly)?
smile.gif

=)

Alrighty!
Something else from that site that I found interesting...
Research has shown that regular heavy alcohol use, particularly during the early teens, is the strongest predictor of future heroin use.
HA! Heavy alcohol use possibly leads to heroin use? I'd like to show some of that research to Stan Zemanek, he'd have a heart attack
smile.gif

Tarsarlen it would be good if you could e-mail Stan some of that research!
coz I'd love to see him have a heart attack!!
zub

That's a very good article but then it is from an educational establishment; once the universities start publishing police propaganda then we might as well up sticks and jump back in the sea.
Tarsalan- great find on the the alcohol/heroin link. I wonder if this means that proponents of the gateway theory will start campaigning for the abolision of VB
wink.gif

aahhh....we can dream

Wish I knew where to find a hardcopy of that research, I really wanna see how much truth there is in that comment because it would sure stop a few people in their tracks...
The rest of that FAQ is pretty interesting too... Nice!