Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Article:Newscientist-All loved out

Mr Giggles

Bluelighter
-Popping Es could club your sex life to death-
They call it the love drug, but in realtity ecstasy dampens passions, say psychologists. It appears that people who use the drug frequently lose their appetite for sex. And the damge could persist long after they stop taking the drug.
Andy Parrot and his team at the University of East London collected anonymous questionaires from 768 young people in, Rome, Padua, London and Manchester. As people rarely take just ecstasy, the team wanted to find out how using combinations of drugs affects mental health.
The team divided the returned questionaires into six groups, based on different drug taking patterns. They ranged from people who took no drugs, those who consumed cigarettes and alcohol, to 'heavy' ecstasty users who had taken it on over 20 occasions, as well as those who used drugs such as cannabis and cocaine. People who took a lot of drugs reported more psychological problems such as agoraphobia and anxiety.
But it was heavy ecstasy users who had the most problems with sex drive, and were nearly three times as likely to report a loss of libido as non-users. The drug produces a warm euphoric high tha can last for a few hours. It works both by boosting the production and reducting the breakdown of the key neurotransmitter serotonin, which is linked to mood.
People coming down from E have depleted level of serotonin, and can hit their lowest poinit days after the original hit-hence the "Suicide Tuesday" hangover experienced by many Saturday-night pill-poppers.
These feelings of sadness, depression and anit-sociability normally fade within a week.
But the longer -term effects of ecstasy are now emerging. Regular use of ecstasy could be damaging the neurons that make serotonin, says Parrott. His team was the first to show that heavy ecstasy use can impair memory, and other groups have found that these effects can linger for up to a year after people stop taking the drug.
No one is sure whether damge to neurons is permanent. "The worry is that it may well be doing that-we're not sure," says Parrott. Permantly low levels of serotonin are linked to clinical depression, anxiety and loss of libido.
People who find they have to up their dose of ecstasy should be very concerned. says Parrott, as this could mean that the neurons making serotonin are becoming insensitive to the drug. The average age of ecstasy useres int he study was only 23. "It's really quite worrying," says Parrott. "It certainly isn't a safe drug."
Although no one has yet proved that ecstasy damages these neurons in people, researchers have shown that it does so in rats, says Mary Forsling professor of neuroendocrinology at the Guys', King's and st Thomas's School of Medicine in London. "There's always the concern that this may be happening in humans," she says.
From "New scientist, page 15, 13th January 2001,Claire Ainsworth.
------------------
*I've tried most drugs but, Ecstasy would have to rate as being the sweetest of them all*
[This message has been edited by Mr giggles* (edited 18 January 2001).]

"... we're not sure" says Parrott
Every single scientist I know is prone to exaggeration and boasting when it comes to the results of their research... when a scientist says "we're not sure" it generally means "we don't have the slightest fucking clue, nor the means to find out in the near future, given the current funding relationship we have with our administrating body".
But, I hope they come up with some hard evidence one way or the other soon, I'd love to know the FACTS about the long term effects of MDMA, not just extrapolation and speculation.
BigTrancer
smile.gif

------------------
Load universe into cannon. Aim at brain. Shoot.
[This message has been edited by BigTrancer (edited 18 January 2001).]

Research like this makes you wonder doesnt it? Hell you dont even need research to tell you what ecstacy is doing to the brain. Just think of the day after.

Hmmm... the day after... lets see...
Usually I'll feel tired ...hmmm... I've missed out on a whole night's worth of sleep, tired makes sense...
I'll feel a little run down ...hmmm... (refer to lack-of-sleep comment above)
Thought process is slightly scattered ...hmmm... (again with the need for sleep!)
I don't usually end up all that bad after a night out, infact the worst part is that I'm just lazy and couldn't be stuffed doing anything, but the rest doesn't seem as if I'm doing all that much damage... Comes from keeping the pill popping levels to a minimum I guess (ie one pill per night, once a week at most)
So I really would like to know what the deal is with brain damage, because if I am doing any damage I sure can't tell... (and if I'm not, then I can stop holding back and try to hurt myself
wink.gif
)
Anyway, I like the article, at least it tells it the way it is... It could be dangerous, no-one knows for sure...

If i can correct, the damage done to rats were after extraordinary HIGH doses of MDMA which roughly equates to 800mg of MDMA for 4 days. I cannot find the link to the results of the study but it roughly says something like that.
Now, think about it, if it can do something to an animal's brain, there IS A POSSIBLITY of it happening to human's brain. No one is sure, when will we know? when PEOPLE like us grow older and MAY possibly show side effects is when the negative effects could be documented. The drug has not been around long enuff in my opinion. In other words, we are kind of the guinea pigs.
Here on Bluelight, we respect other's rights to do ANYTHING they please to their body as long as they know what they are doing to themselves and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But to any newbies, WE ARE NOT ADVOCATING DRUG USE, harm minimisation is our key role/purpose here.
People who find they have to up their dose of ecstasy should be very concerned. says Parrott, as this could mean that the neurons making serotonin are becoming insensitive to the drug. The average age of ecstasy useres int he study was only 23. "It's really quite worrying," says Parrott. "It certainly isn't a safe drug."
Parrott may be quite right, if you find that u are upping your dosage. TAKE A BREAK, your brain is trying to tell you something. I haf been hearing stories of ppl popping 2-3 pills at a go and going over 8-9 pills in a night. On this comment that it isn't a safe drug, i have problems with that statement but let's not go there.
I know i'm guilty of this as well, but TRY and limit yourself to once a month. And where 2 quality pills will do the trick for you.
I guess my main point is that, recently on BL everytime there is an article about E usage in the news, we will bring it up and slam it. Yes, the media fabricates and twists the facts everytime. HOWEVER, newbies to this board get the false impression that MDMA is a TOTALLY safe drug to use and are led into a false sense of security. I may be wrong in my interpretation but that is the idea that friends new to this board have been giving me.
These studies may be inaccurate and scientists may be talking thru their asses, but's let all try and get the best out of these studies.
HAve Fun and Respect yourself
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

I've studied quite a bit of science & thought that New Scientist had some credibility but they sound like that Herald article - dodgy
Giving rats around 800mg of MDMA for 4 days -sure they give the rats heaps to accelerate the process but this is not going to give a good idea of what happens in the human body over years.
Then they relate results/talk about users that are taking a few pills each weekend. From what I've seen this may not be the majority of users - the most I've ever done is every fornight for a couple of months.
I'll start paying attention to these "articles" when studies are done based on doses that represent what MOST people take.

well if my mdma intake has effected my sex drive then i would hate to think what i would be like if i had never taken it before in my life
smile.gif

------------------
'just wait until this song is finished then i'll go :)'

Everything gives you cancer or heartproblems or is liked with depression these days.
I'm here for a good one more so than for a long one. I believe that leading a really boring life could casue depression.
MDMA experiences have enriched my life and is well worth the gamble.
Incidently, I've seen a study on Chimps showing that brain seratonin levels return to normal within a year of abstenance.
You can't say no to E, E's

I love ecstacy
treat it with respect and it will love you as much as you love it.
but i love one thing more
[This message has been edited by Stylin (edited 19 January 2001).]

I love ecstacy but, damn, do I hate those week-long comedowns (j/k).
Maybe I am an isolated case but,after a night on quality MDxx pills and then sleeping later, I am always in a better-than-normal mood the next day.

if i sleep the next day/morning i am in a great mood when i get up, but i couple of days later i just get crappy
all of the responses can be lonked to what the pill has done, and all seem short term
your tired - seratonin levels are returning back to normal after using alot of them
-> seratonin moderates sleep
your moody - seratonin levels are re adjusting
- > seratonin moderates mood
apetite, tempreture etc etc ... all things which will be fucked around by your levels of brain chemicals changing more than they usually do... give it a week or so with lots of healthy eating and lots of excersise and i tend to end up ok:]
mind you, i tend to only drop every few months or so, with no more than 2 or 3 at a time..

I find sex to be one of the best comedown/recovery activities there is. My partner and I often pill up and then just destroy each other.
If you have never tried sex on E - do it!!