Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: SMH 7 Jan 01: Drug blitz - New rules to target teeen clubs

BigTrancer

Bluelight Crew
Drug blitz: New rules to target teen clubs
Sydney Morning Herald, 7 Jan 2001, By Adrian Scardilli
Revellers attending under-18 dance parties on Sydney's premier nightclub strip will have to supply personal details under tough new guidelines.
They will be required to pre-purchase tickets and give their name, address, date of birth and school when attending dance parties in Oxford Street.
Names would be checked against a list at the door on the night...
full article - http://www.smh.com.au/news/0101/07/national/national22.html
Maybe they could have a parent's room too, with comfy chairs, cups of tea, and a big window so they can see the dancefloor and supervise?
BigTrancer
wink.gif

------------------
Load universe into cannon. Aim at brain. Shoot.

lol bt
smile.gif
on another note who here thinks this is reasonable? im sure most of us are over 18 here, but is this taking things a little too far? or is this nessecary as the 'rave' scene progresses etc etc.

Well, I was going to post this in my original post, but I didn't really want to open a bag of worms here... but I'm gonna give it a shot anyway.
In principle, I don't totally disagree with the sentiment behind the initiative, if that sentiment is to make every effort to avoid having younger people exposed to drugs and dealers before they're ready to seek them out for themselves. I know that probably sounds like a bit of an old fashioned attitude to some of you, or maybe authoritarian or condescending to those who are actually underage and facing this prospect. However, my reason is that I think kids should be able to be kids for as long as possible, before they have to deal with certain realities in the world.
I'm not sure that taking role-calls at underage raves is the way to accomplish this, or even whether under-18s would attend an event that sells tickets under those conditions. Eventually I guess it is all going to come down to educating people and giving them enough information to make reasonable choices. Then the person can make a decision for themself based on that knowledge and their own level of maturity.
By the same token, younger people's bodies aren't really just scaled-down adults, so a dose of something that would be easy to handle for an experienced adult might be uncomfortably much for someone smaller/lighter.
Anyway that's my $US0.01 - as best as I can articulate at this point.
BigTrancer
smile.gif

Who's fault is this I ask you:
A 15 year old has taken E a few times, he likes drugs and wants a psychedelic experience. He meets up with someone who offers them DMT at a rave. They have a 50mg smoked dose, and come back a psychological mess. If they never learn to make sense of the experience, then their life will be one of fear and depression.
This is a true story, and unfortunately the person has since suicided.
Where to go from here?
[This message has been edited by Leprechaun (edited 07 January 2001).]