Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Australian Federal Police tell NYE party goers to stay away from ecstacy

Mr Giggles

Bluelighter
Read this today in the Canberra Times.
(sorry there was no link on the newspapers site-as far as i know)
Reported by Scott Hannaford
"Those planning to take ecstasy and other "party drugs" over the New Year could abe taking a deadly cocktail which might do them serious harm, according to police.
Australian federal police commander Ben McDevitt put out an appeal to the public yesterday to avoid party drugs because of the unknown contents of some pills seized by police."
"We've had everything from 2 per cent to 85 percent MDMA[methylenedioxymethamphetamine]-the active ingredient in ecstasy], he said.
The warning from police has been prompted by an alarming increase in the number of drugs confiscated, with four seizures in 1999, increasing to 33 so far this year.
Commander McDevitt said the message about the dangers of injected drugs, such as heroin, was getting out to the public but the perception of ecstasy as a "fun or party drug" was hiding its true danger.
On average, most ecstasy tablets analysed by police had been to contain only 12 percent MDMA, with the other 88 percent being made up of a wide variety of pharmaceutical drugs or even rat poison or crushed glass.
The average age of users in the ACT is 22 and the number of people over the age of 14 who have tried ecstasy has more than doubled in recent years.
"This in not a time experimenting," Commander McDevitt said. "A lot of research needs to be done into the long term effects of ecstasy and people have reported serious respiratroy problems after taking it."
He said "ecstasy could also lead people to engage in unwanted sexual activity."
------------------
*its better to roll up hill then down*

crushed glass??? wtf???
frown.gif

ive know shit goes in pills but for fucks sake....glass??

He said "ecstasy could also lead people to engage in unwanted sexual activity."
ahahaha, thats a crazy quote!!!
Australian Federal Police telling me to stay away from ecstasy - NOT FUCKING LIKELY
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

I often find myself engaging in unwanted sexual activity on ecstasy. hang on did he say UNWANTED. UNWANTED BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA.
"..lead people to engage in unwanted sexual activity." as opposed to alcohol of course.
So far the only arguments this poor chap has against the drug are:
- you don't know whats in it (bluelight and other online resources whole purpose is to help find out about it and whats in it - and do a bloody good job of clearing that one up actually)
- you get laid
- you will regret getting laid (hehehe)
- it causes respiratory problems. (never met ONE person or heard ONE report of this being a problem when the drug is taken responsibly despite 2 million people world wide taking the drug ever weekend)
hmm.. looks like he needs some better arguments there.
good work though!! a few minor points need a touch up for example you almost convinced me to take more of it with the unwanted sex part.

Sounds to me like this poor guy is trying to get across a pretty sensible message in a pretty ridiculous way. The basis of his argument, in more sensible terms, is - either "say no" if you haven't already had it, or "take less and be careful" if you already have. That sounds OK to me.. although NYE is probably the *most* likely time of the year I'll choose to ignore a warning like that.. go figure!
Really, to be in a position in the AFP to be commenting to the media he's probably fairly high-ranked, thus pretty old & out of touch, so you would sort of expect to hear comments like that I guess. Also remember that we're a reasonably informed bunch, quite unlikely to consume pills with glass, special K, rat poison or anything majorly dodgy, but for the majority of munchers out there, and there will be STACKS of naieve, silly people for whom this NYE is their first time - they are at a far greater risk nyet?

I just wish they would release the names of the pills which supposedly contained all these harmful ingredients.
No one believes the glass bs, but let people see for themselves. Name the pills, i'll get one, dissolve it in water, and if there is any glass in there it wont dissolve and settle at the bottom of the container.
Of course they wont do this, as it is more than likely that they dont know the identities of the glassed up pills, coz there isnt any.
Luko: i do agree with u. I work at a place where there r a number of young people, 15-17. I am disgusted that many of them r taking a pill this NYE, the majority for the first time. Its really sad, as they all have no idea.
Some 17 yr old fool said to me how he was having a "BICCY" on NYE; i am like, "what is that". He said an E; again i say "What is that"? He paused, and then realised he didnt really know.
I just said be fucking careful, u probably will not get an "E" anyway; its a sorry state of affairs.

Buscuit.....
"17 year old fool"
i dont think age has much to do with it dude, theere are fools of many ages.....
most the 17 year olds i know(many BLers)
are extremely smart with their drugs....
just my two bob
------------------
:)
http://pub40.ezboard.com/blifetherapy

All of these pills siezed are analized.
The information is avalible i will source where and hopefully get back to you all on this sometime in the new year.
Hopefully we will get to the bottom of the glass issue.Just becuse it's such a Stoopid comment.

I dont think they actually found any pills with glass in here in australia, someone posted that when they did a little research they found that the journalist coming up with that claim actually ripped it out of a Time Magazine from 1994. And anyway, doesnt crushed glass = sand.
The rat poison they r talking about actually does kill rats, but acts as an anti-coagulent in humans, ie - it prevents blood from clotting.
[This message has been edited by E*GO (edited 30 December 2000).]

yeah
i agree.. i don't think age has much to do with ignorance unfortunately i know more 25 year olds with the "fuck it i'm invincible" approach to taking ecstasy then younger kids. So i think the best approach is not to generalise.
Hmm and i don't think this message works on any level.
The arguments they should use against ecstasy use hinge entirely on neurotoxicity (effect on cognition, serotonin systems) which aren't even mentioned once. There are no other arguments against it that can't be circumvented through education (such as finding out what's in the pill, drinking water but not too much, staying in a cool place etc)
I believe this kind of message further discredits everything the police have to say about ecstasy use. This message isn't going to stop ONE person from taking it. The police are not realising that people will do it regardless and the only way to promote responsible use is to accept this fact and say "ok we know you are going to take it.. here is what it is doing to you" Then people will listen and only then.
With their "just say no" approach they are treating us like children and smacking us without telling us why. They have full page ads in magazines telling parents NOT to take the "just say no" approach to drug use but instead to TALK about it with their kids. And yet in the same paper they have them going "now is not a time for experimenting" ... "people should avoid party drugs" etc.
and its the holiday season for fucks sake !!! this is the most obvious time for people to experiment. people are of course going to take the "its new years eve!! the end of the millennium!! lets get fucked up" approach.. however as a general rule those are the same people who would also get just as fucked up on alcohol or do something else stupid so either way no little obligatory holiday season warning about party drugs is going to change that.
hmm.. i am not of the opinion that an attempt is better then nothing. in this case their attempt to educate and promote more responsible use is doing the opposite.
------------------
"The woodpile is so beautiful, about all the joy and beauty that I can stand. I am afraid to turn around and face the mountains, for fear they will overpower me. But I did look, and I am astounded" (1991) Shulgin on his experience with ecstasy.

Well, I was planning on taking an E this NYE, but since the Federal Police said I shouldn't I guess I'll just drink some alcohol. I'd hate to develop some unwanted sexual urges !!

Maybe they really want us to drink alcohol instead because the government can tax that and make more money...
wink.gif

------------------
"Seek the wisdom of the ages, but look at the world through the eyes of a child."

The whole "might engage in unwanted sex thing is a DAM joke, and i have now read 2 articles that state this.. If anything real esctasy makes you NOT think about that sort of stuff from my experience, all you can think about is the music and maby having a nice in depth chat with someone. sex is the last thing on my mind.. But with alcohol... well this coment about somes it up...
"BEER helping ugly people get laid since 2000 bc"
I wish people who actually new something would write articles in newspapers.. Dancesafe... The best resource FROM DOCTORS availiable on the net..

gotta add, i'm pretty severe asthmatic. took several yonex and danced ass off. no wukkas.

Holy fuck... did he say "2 to 85 percent"?? (MDMA)... Bugger me. An average pill weighs about 250-300mg, of which 85% is more than 200mg! Now that's a serious roll.
BT
smile.gif

cant they tell us which pills had 85% MDMA in them ... at least it would stop us from eating rat poison and crushed glass !
------------------
...yes please