• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

The Mega Merged Drug Busts Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally, this would be in Drugs in Media, but this is an interesting case...

Arrests Made in Alleged OxyContin Ring

U.S. National - AP 11/11/04

By WAYNE PARRY, Associated Press Writer

NEWARK, N.J. - More than a dozen reputed street gang members, organized crime associates, pharmacists and college students have been arrested for their parts in an alleged ring that sold the powerful painkiller OxyContin in the Boston area, authorities said Thursday.

The ring moved tens of thousands of pills, which sold for $80 to $100 apiece, authorities said. It took in about $150,000 a week, and had been operating for over a year.

"No one expects there to be a connection between organized crime figures, street gang members and college students," Union County Prosecutor Theodore Romankow said. "They do make strange bedfellows."

Authorities arrested 14 suspects in New Jersey, two in Massachusetts and one in Arizona on Wednesday and Thursday. Additional arrests were expected.

The alleged ringleader, Louis Gallicchio, 64, of Newark — described by detectives as a Lucchese crime family associate — befriended street gang members and recruited them to be runners, delivering shipments of pills bought illegally from two pharmacies in Newark, officials said.

Buyers in Massachusetts allegedly included three college students, two of whom had been taken into custody.

Gallicchio's main supplier was Clara Lightsey, 46, of East Orange, who allegedly obtained both legitimate and fake prescriptions to buy the drugs from two pharmacists, said Robert Buccino, Union County's chief of detectives.

When arrested, she had over 20,000 OxyContin pills and a .25-caliber handgun stuffed into her bra, Buccino said.

Most of those arrested were being held on bail ranging from $100,000 to $1 million. Arraignments were scheduled for Monday. It could not immediately be determined if any of them had hired lawyers.

OxyContin was initially hailed as a breakthrough in the treatment of severe chronic pain when it was introduced in 1996. The drug has become a problem in recent years, however, after drug abusers discovered that crushing the time-release tablets and snorting or injecting the powder yields an immediate, heroin-like high.

The drug has been implicated in more than 100 overdose deaths nationwide.

Prescription painkillers such as OxyContin now rank second to marijuana as the most-abused drugs in the country, according to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration.

[edit: fixed formatting for DITM guidelines, moved from another forum]

www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/11/11/oxycontin.arrests.ap/index.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...with far-reaching reprucussions....Also, it is one of the bigger cases of traditional gangs (and not just mafia, though they were involved) being involved in pharmaceutical rings...also of note, the person caught had, I think, 20,000 oxycontins on her...

Last edited by a moderator:
what is more interesting is some of the side stories...do a search for Yahoo media and you will find out some funny stuff...this is one very interesting case....

swybs

Theres been some arrests in Arizona, hope kdout is ok 8o

from http://www.newsday.com/news/local/w...ov11,0,3712885.story?coll=ny-ap-regional-wire

"Gallicchio's main supplier was Clara Lightsey, 46, of East Orange, who obtained prescriptions _ legitimate and fake _ bought the drugs from two pharmacists and then resold then, said Robert Buccino, Union County's chief of detectives. When police arrested her, she had over 20,000 OxyContin pills stuffed into garbage bags and a .25-caliber handgun stuffed into her bra, Buccino said."

What I'd give to have that garbage bag...

"Romankow said at one point Frio complained that OxyContin wasn't fetching a high enough street price. He wanted it to cost more because he was using the proceeds to buy marijuana, which he sold elsewhere, the prosecutor said. "

Wasnt high enough? Fuck him he belongs in jail. Its too high as it is and he wants to raise it.. thats highway robbery!

Last edited:
i don't know anything or anybody no more.
I don't know antyhing about this OC rage in Az
I'm married i don't do that
shit i shouldn't have IMd 3 grams of ketamine
i don'y know what th say

yea, maybe i knew someone....but this was big--big like NJ/NYC big...maybe big like it wasnt even obvious big.....crazy

names sound like names, sound like names
drunk.
crazy

No wonder the area has been flooded so bad with oxys.

gonna be alot of people in withdrawls, breaking into medicine cabinets.
Think i better lock my door.

All I can say is that OxyContin is just about the #1 abused drug around here and OxyContin has been here a long time...roughy six years ago was when the sweep of OCs came flowing through. Medicine cabinet hunting is a very popular thing around here, sadly enough. Just think about it, your at somebodies house that you know with some other people, grandpa has cancer...there is a bottle of 60 80mg OC....theres a lotta money to be made there. $2500 grand of potential drug profit is just a "I have to go to the bathroom" away. Its so very sad. And to think that I used to participate in just emotional nothingness.

I just called my guy to grab a few 80s.....his words to me were "don't ever call me again, man....erae my # from your phone" and he hung up.....

I live near Boston......

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........................

SWYBS...

I swear to G-D that I thought of you when I heard about it last night. Actually one of the Pharmacies was down by my mom's in Ocean County. They actually were buying from 3 counties [Essex,Union, and Ocean].

yes i remember a wonderful time last year when one could purchase 80s for 10 a pop, but that source got busted as well. This just means more business for the tar suppliers in az.

$150,000 a week...KUCK....Thats almost $8 million a year, or since there were 14 of them, atleast 600,000 for each person. THATS bank....for some damn pills.

Addy

Family intoxicated by cannabis fumes
Expatica
12 November 2004

BRUSSELS – Two young children and their parents were found unconscious after breathing in fumes given off by, it was reported on Friday.

On Wednesday morning, a grandfather in Seraing, in Wallonia, went to collect his two grandchildren, Nahel, 4, and Dorian, 3, to take them to school, La Derniere Heure reported.

He knocked at the home of his 31-year-old daughter Emmanuelle’s home, but got no reply.

After checking with the school, in case the children had been dropped off earlier by someone else, the grandfather started to get worried.

He called the father of his daughter’s partner Martial and the two anxious grandfathers eventually decided to break a window and get into the house to find out what was wrong.

Inside, they found Emmanuelle and Martial and their two children unconscious.

The emergency services quickly arrived at the house and suspected that the four were victims of carbon monoxide poisoning from a faulty gas appliance.

However, when no gas was detected, the fire services and police officers searched and found 107 cannabis plants growing in the house.

Experts say the mixture of fertilisers and pesticides on the plants released a substance called delta 9 tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the active ingredient of cannabis, which could have eventually killed the parents and children.

The four were taken to Citadelle Hospital for treatment.

On Thursday morning, Martial was sufficiently recovered to be arrested and charged with growing cannabis.

At Liege magistrate court, he pleaded guilty and was taken into custody in Lantin.

The two children are still under observation in hospital.

Link

Addy...

Best believe that they weren't splitting it equally. Alot of those caught were just runners...Pay a little cash to go cash in the fraudelent scripts, etc...Now they are going to pay for it. That's what happens when you play with the "drug of the week."

Status
Not open for further replies.