Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

why does codiene make you itch

chugs

Bluelighter
like the subject reads why does codiene make one itchy (I say this as a i scratch the shit out of my head).

apart from using a damp cloth to ease the discomfort are there any pharmacological options in reducing it?

Hehehe thats the only problem with codiene. Do what I do and pretend that you are actually not itchy at all, and everything is just fine - I guess mind over matter doesnt count forsome things, give it a try sometime. Codiene feels great while getting massaged :)

Antihistamines work wonders to relieve the itch. They will make you sleepy, but then so does codeine.

what about some benzos? what am i saying it must but then again i don't remember last time i did codiene and benzos whether i was itchy or not?

fuck my feet are itchy now

It’s just a histamine release…kind of what happens when you’ve got hay fever I think? So all you need is an antihistamine and you’ll feel fine. I actually find the histamine release from codeine nice, the more you think about it the more it itches.

Many opiates on top of codeine make you itch. I actually enjoy it as i found the relief very pleasurable ;) !

Some common side effects from codeine include drowsiness, light-headedness, dry mouth, urinary retention (difficulty in urination), constipation and of course, euphoria. Adverse effects can include itchiness (common), confusion, nausea and vomiting. The nausea experienced with codeine is less common and less intense than that experienced with the stronger opiates such as morphine. A tip to all those using opiates, lying down does wonders to the nausea. If you ever experience nausea on opiates it is different than the commonly experienced nausea as it is more of a light-headed nausea. Lying down will almost always relieve the nausea in a couple minutes, which after you can attempt to stand up again.

A Codeine Related Experience from Erowid

Codeine FAQ from Erowid

Last edited:
chrisisparanoid said:
It’s just a histamine release…kind of what happens when you’ve got hay fever I think? So all you need is an antihistamine and you’ll feel fine. I actually find the histamine release from codeine nice, the more you think about it the more it itches.

hehehe... Chugs... u are not alone. Buy some antihistamines:) enjoy =D

I would NOT recommend benzo's as mentioned above... I am currently addicted to diazepam, after beating my codeine habit. Try to keep codeine use in moderation, as you will build a tolerance (as with benzo's). I consumed like 80mg of diazepam 2nite, and had some alcohol during (I know this was a bit dangerous) but I feel very clear and sober, almost 'normal'. .. My doc has me on antidepressants as well, and I was prescribed benzo's for anxiety, he would not give me another script and I am climbing the walls right now neeeding something to keep me rested... sorry to ramble on, but benzo addiction is worse than codeine in my experience. I kicked my codeine habit in about a week. Although I will still use it in moderation, as it is my current opiate of choice (because of easy availability).

I remember talking to a friend who has been "fond" of opiates in the past about the itches and he mentioned an anithistamine that apparently can potentiate the high from opiates to and extent. Im unable to remember the name of the product but I believe its given you children and promotes restfull sleep as well. I will try to get an authorative response on my comments for those interested within the next few days.

smokeblow: glad to hear you are taking it easy on the codiene now. However I did warn you about benzodapines are a withdrawal aid did I not? Many doctors will recomend it but personaly I think its a very bad idea. Benzodapines are a very dangerouse drug to be dependant on and can even result in death if a heavy user stops abruptly.
Having said that I assure you that its possible to stop and having done it myself I recomend you do it sooner rather than later........

mongman, thanks^.... and also for the advice about benzos :)

Today was a bit of a rough day for me and I had to get to the doctor. He gave a script for Temazepam which is for sleep. He said to take one tablet per night for a week, then alternate the next week, taking Temazepan every 2nd night until I have my sleeping pattern back to normal....also I am to increase my dose of Avanza, 1 and 1/2 tab earlier in the night (about 45mg). So I hope this works and I get over this....

back on codeine subject:

Chugs... I never thought I would depend on benzo's after kicking my codeine habit.. so please don't let this happen to you.

I have a love/hate relationship with the codeine itch... Love it cause it feels so good to scratch, but hate it cause it makes me move which puts a dampner on the buzz :\ What a conundrum. Does anyone else find they are still itchy the next day? I took codeine last night at midnight and find that I have a nice little afterglow going on, although I'm still a little itchy too...

smokeblow - What was your codeine habit like? i.e. Dose, frequency and duration of habit?

nah smokeblow i'm far too lazy to hassle doctors for benzos.....thanks for the antihistamines advice

doooooofus i don't normally itch the next day although i do get nasusa into the next day

positive its been mentioned else where but since there's a codiene thread active I thought I'd ask. What if any are the long term and short term negative side effects of codeine? (aside from addiction of course)

Ive found myself using it fairly often lately mianly due to the fact theres a chemist on just about every corner. Usually around 18 N+'s but can see that going to 24 pretty soon. There seems to be no real hang over in the head to speak of afterwards, so wat damage if any is being done?

Cheers

Codeine is an Opiate Agonist, read the links provided above. Id dare say the long term effects would vary depending on if the Codeine was administered as Codeine by itself or as Codeine with other compounds present. If you are using Such Opiates as Codeine for extended periods in a habitual manner then you would be likely to suffer liver damage overtime as a permanant result of heavy use. Used on a minimal basis over a longtime, the risk of liver damage would be somewhat low in comparison with heavy use. But thats just common knowledge ;)

Edit: Something else that may be of your interest

SIDE EFFECTS

The most frequent adverse reactions include lightheadedness, dizziness, sedation, nausea, and vomiting. These effects seem to be more prominent in ambulatory than in non ambulatory patients, and some of these adverse reactions may be alleviated if the patient lies down.

Other adverse reactions include euphoria, dysphoria, constipation, and pruritus.

Controlled Substance: Codeine phosphate is a Schedule II narcotic

Dependence

Although much less potent in this regard than morphine, codeine can produce drug dependence a.d. therefore, has the potential for being abused. Patients given 60 mg codeine every 6 hours for 2 months usually show some tolerance and mild withdrawal symptoms. Development of the dependent state is recognized by an increased tolerance to the analgesic effect and the appearance of purposive phenomena (complaints, pleas, demands, or manipulative actions) shortly before the time of the next scheduled dose. A patient in withdrawal should be treated in a hospital environment. Usually, it is necessary only to provide supportive care with administration of a tranquilizer to suppress anxiety. Severe symptoms of withdrawal may require administration of a replacement narcotic.

Last edited:
I would also like to know if there are any long term effects for codiene use. I have been using it rather regualy latley and I want to make sure i'm not fucking up my body.

h-90 dont you ever feel after taking codeine, you feel lazy and tired, grumpy for a couple of days

TripsterC said:
h-90 dont you ever feel after taking codeine, you feel lazy and tired, grumpy for a couple of days

Yes I do, I figured it was some sort of withdrawls. Why do you ask?

Dooofus,

My first experiment with codeine started it all.. I only took a few panadeine forte and liked the relaxed feeling. I learned CWE method and scored a whole bunch of PFs from a mate so consumed these mostly on w/ends... After a while I tried the N+ because I was out of PFs and N+ is so easy to buy, it is EVERYWHERE. So from starting on like about 120mg, I soon needed at least 300mg to get any buzz. I liked the itch too...:)

I noticed that I was forming a real habit when all I could think of was having another dose of codeine. I felt tired and just needed it to chill me out.... I would promise myself that if I take it 2nite, I will not take it 2moro..... that did not last, and I have been (up until a few weeks ago) using codeine daily... on average each dose 300mg... It eventually made me very sick in the stomach, so I was forced to stop taking any codeine, and took valium to help with the WDs... another habit formed.. now I have a tollerance to benzos....and the story continues :(

I did codeine last night and really had a great time, and have enough reserve to go all over again 2night. If there were stronger opiates available right now, I would be taking those... thank goodness I don't have any other.

Cool, thanks for that :) I agree, N+ are sooo easy to get, it's probably harder to get bread and milk these days, hehe. Not sure whether that's a good thing or not...

If you really want to quit the codeine I'm sure you have it inside yourself to do it, you just need to find a good reason and commit to it. Or maybe at least reduce your usage a little. Best of luck
14.gif