• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Drivers on drugs the next target [South Australia]

peaked

Bluelighter
The Advertiser
Edition 1 - StateWED 01 DEC 2004, Page 002
Drivers on drugs the next target
By BRYAN LITTLELY

"DRUG tests for drivers would begin in South Australia by next September under new legislation to be put to State Parliament early next year.
Police would have the power to conduct random saliva drug tests on drivers they suspect of driving under the influence of marijuana or amphetamines.
In July, The Advertiser reported a push by Liberal MP Ivan Venning to introduce testing of drivers' blood for drug use. His Private Member's Bill continues to be debated and he said yesterday he had fought for more than two years to have such laws introduced.
``We must convey the message to our drivers, especially our young drivers, that not only is it dangerous to drive when you have taken a drug, the police will catch and prosecute you,'' he said.
Transport Minister Trish White said draft legislation would be released for public consultation early in the new year. The testing method is not currently used anywhere in the world, but Victorian police will begin a trial of random roadside saliva testing for drugs from December 13.
A survey by insurer AAMI has shown as many as one in four SA drivers aged under 25 gets behind the wheel after taking drugs such as amphetamines, marijuana or ecstasy, compared to the national average of 18 per cent.
The testing process would involve a preliminary roadside saliva test taken by police.
In the case of a positive test, a second test - of saliva or blood - would be taken. As with drink-driving tests, the driver would be given the option of having a blood test if the initial test proved positive. The motorist would also be given a sample of the tests.
Penalties would be similar to those associated with drink-driving offences and would increase for repeat offenders. "

Source: www.newstext.com.au [must be a paying member] or The Advertiser from 1/12/04

Well it was only a matter of time before this happened in SA, I guess its not such a bad thing as long as it only detects those who are impaired .. and not those who have simply consumed drugs recently. But I daresay it will be the latter. I would have posted this article in the other roadside drug testing thread, but since that was initially about NSW I figured not many people from SA would be reading it.

faaaarrrk.

thats not good news for ppl like me who like to smoke some pot at the end of the working day and drive around for work. i dont drive when i'm bent as but could get tested next day and lose my liscence and therefore my job