Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Pill Testing at Raves

Kid A

Bluelighter
Rather than being troubled with all the legalities of handling and testing pills, why don't clubs/rave organisers/dancesafe have laptops set-up with Internet access and do simple searches at pillreports.com, the peak...etc!!!! A would be punter would simply give a description of the pill and could a) search for him/herself or b) have someone else do it for them. Then they could return later and give an up to date 'report' so you could distribute that information on the net and around the event/rave. Has this been suggested? It seems a good idea in the interim while legalities of testing pills is still - pardon the pun - un-tested!

there is no guarentee that the pill you have is the same as the one on pillreports.
always keep this in mind when using pillreports.

Kid A,
It's an interesting thought, and encouraging people to read and post pill-reports is a great idea; something our harm minimisation information could suggest, but...
I think being guided *only* by pill-reports is tantamount to relying on hearsay, and as such, not entirely reliable, especially where "counterfeit" pills are involved; whereas the test result speaks immediately for itself.
As for the law, well, law is really built upon precedents, and a test-case (pardon *my* pun!) must arise at some point. Assuming it is done sensibly and carefully, it might as well be done now.
bananafish
smile.gif

JB
You're Quickdraw McGore, man!!
wink.gif

------------------
"Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!" (Taylor, Planet.)
[This message has been edited by bananafish (edited 24 October 2000).]

bananafish: this is whati keep saying at these meetings. there is no legal precendent,and we should set one.
there are some legal firms that love playing with uncharted territory like this.

I realise that the pillreports are unreliable - but it's better than nothing at all is my point. Isn't it slightly defeatist saying that pillreports have no effective purpose because they are unreliable.
BTW would be happy to do some legal research for Bluelighters!

Kid A,
We'd love you to do legal research for us. Ar you in Sydney or Melbourne? or somewhere else?
Finn
smile.gif

no it's not defeatist.the difference, as i see it, is with pillreports you are making your own mindup.
if you went into a club and advised people based on pillreports, you are using hearsay. sure it's better than nothing but it could be very wrong. legally it's a bit of a nightmare.
if you go into a club and test the pill on the spot you can tell them what the test means, ie a pill that tests purple contains an MDxx substance. this being basic chemistry, there is no legal problems.
dancesafe does have pictures of the pills tested in their labs at their tables at raves. and i'm pictures will be shown here in oz, but hopefully it will be of pills that have been properly lab tested.

Finn,
I am in Bris-vegas. Finishing my final year in law - have studied criminal law, legal research etc. I have access to fairly extensive legal resources, and have a lot of spare time.
Kid A

Then you kid a are the man/woman we've been looking for.
If you are interested in getting involved in our pill testing project then check out these threads
www.bluelight.ru/ubb/Forum10/HTML/002680.html?reload=41
www.bluelight.ru/ubb/Forum10/HTML/002623.html?reload=81
There are many legal issues that we need resolved. If you are prepared to do some (or all!) of the research for us we would be very grateful
Check out bananafish's post re:legal issues in the sydney thread.
Thanks for your interest
smile.gif

Finn
smile.gif