• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Sulfate or hydrocloride

baud

Bluelighter
Im wondering if someone can elaborate for me on what the main differences are between the two which are present in many OTC active ingredients. If perse this is posted in the wrong area please kick to the right area. Thankyou in advance

My assumptions lead me to sulfate being salt based? or is that totally incorrect thankyou again

This belongs in Drugs Basic.

Drugs which are sulfate or hydrocholoride are both salts, that is to say, they are ionic compounds. They are the drug, ionically bonded to either a chloride or a sulfate ion.

Usually the only difference is that one salt weights more than the other per molecule.

BilZ0r said:
Usually the only difference is that one salt weights more than the other per molecule.

I think sometimes one is chosen over the over because the characteristics of the end product can vary. For example, amphetamine hydrochloride is rarely produced (well not for the recreational market anyway) because it is unstable and (I think) hygroscopic. That's why amphetamine generally comes in the sulphate form.

I think that has something to do with the lonepair electrons. And that sulfate isnt as electronegative as HCl is.
But in essential they make salts from medicines so the medicine will dissolve in your blood and body.
If it wasnt for salts you would get oils in most cases and they are hardly absorbed and not easy to ingest.

I know..

I do know one thing, everything thats hydroclorid is about 25% more potent than anything thats sulfate...

From: CHANGING THE SALT, CHANGING THE DRUG By Glynis Davies, BSc, MRPharmS

Changing a drug from its free base or acid to a salt form is commonly done to improve its kinetics, absorption or physicochemical properties (eg, stability, hygroscopicity and flowability). Changing the salt form of a drug is a recognised means of modifying its chemical and biological properties without modifying its structure. Different salts of the same active drug are distinct products with their own chemical and biological profiles that underlie differences in their clinical efficacy and safety.

There is, as yet, no reliable way of predicting exactly what effect changing the salt form of an active drug will have on its biological activity, and the supposition that the same salt form of two related parent compounds will behave in exactly the same way may not be correct. The literature contains many examples of salt forms that differ in the rate of absorption, toxicity and stability of the active drug....

CONCLUSION

Different salt forms of a drug differ in ways that can impact on their clinical efficacy and safety. Changing the salt form varies the solubility and rate of dissolution of a drug, which in turn affects its bioavailability, pharmacokinetic profile, toxicity, and chemical stability. Early selection of an appropriate salt form in the development of a new drug will influence the timely completion of drug development and production, an important factor in accelerating the process of drug discovery.

Substitution of one salt form for another can accelerate the onset and duration of biological activity of a drug and is a recognised means of reducing its toxic potential or improving its chemical stability. It is important to remember, however, that since changing the salt can dramatically change the properties of a drug, every salt form of a drug should be considered as a new medicinal product and tested appropriately before it is released for use in clinical practice.

Full PDF:THE PHARMACEUTICAL JOURNAL (VOL 266) 2001

Amphtamine hydrochloride is actually over twice as potent by weight than amphetamine sulfate. 114% times more potent to be exact.

Mhcl=171,68 g/mol
M[size=0.7]sulfate[/size]=368,50 g/mol

Last edited:
redeemer said:
Amphtamine hydrochloride is actually over twice as potent by weight than amphetamine sulfate. 114% times more potent to be exact.

Mhcl=171,68 g/mol
M[size=0.7]sulfate[/size]=368,50 g/mol

Actually you are wrong. The sulfate salt contains two equivs of amphetamine.

Like this:
Sulfate: (amphetamine)2.H2SO4
Hydrochloride: amphetamine.HCl

Therefore 368 / 2 = 184g amphetamine sulfate is equal to 171g amphetamine hydrochloride. Almost negliable.