Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Opium poppy

Samson

Bluelighter
I was just wondering if the poppys that we find in Melbourne are the same type of poppy that opium is extracted from any info would be appreciated.
Peace
------------------
5 days a week my body is a temple. The other 2 it's an amusement park.

Here's a bit of quick info I found:
White Poppy
POISON!
Steadman Shorter's Medical Dictionary, Poisons & Antidotes: Opium
Botanical: Papaver somniferum (LINN.)
Family: N.O. Papaveraceae
Synonyms: Opium Poppy. Mawseed.
Parts Used: Capsules, flowers.
Habitat: The Opium Poppy (Papaver somniferum, var. album) is indigenous to Asia Minor, and is cultivated largely in European and Asiatic Turkey, Persia, India and China for the production of Opium.
It has been observed growing on the cliffs between Folkestone and Dover.
http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/p/popwhi64.html
BigTrancer
smile.gif

Hey mate !
I thought the smack poppies were purple ...... not white. NEwayz, what comes from the poppies are the opiates, eg heroin and morph.
The poppies are cultivated in the serious nasty drug harvesting regions ... eg burma and cambodia, and as a consequence they are pretty heavily criminalised if ya wanna grow/fiend some plants.
... I doubt that u'd find poppy plants growing freely round melbourne. Our govt uses these plants to produce morph etc for medical purposes. Their crops are surrounded by electricuted barbed wire, and trespassing is punishable by beheading (or something just as terrible like a year in jail !)
Hope i've been of some help
smile.gif
i doubt it
cya d00d

actually, you will find that opium poppies grow in most parts of Malvern, toorak and parts of South Yarra. The reason for this is, is that about 100 years ago they were a very popular flower to grow (they are a very beuatiful flower) and a lot of them still grow in the gardens of very old houses. My grandpa has 3 opium poppys growing in his garden. When they are fully grown again, i'm gonna snip em and follow the precedures on Erowid and try and extract them, so the answer is yes, they can be found in Melbourne, but you do have to check your eyes!!
ps samson: check ur email, sorry dude!