Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

RADIO: ABC Radio National - The Ecstasy Phenomenon

Cowboy Mac

Bluelighter
A very interesting discussion, highly recommended listening. Included are streaming media sources; the duration is 50 minutes.

The Ecstasy Phenomenon
Tuesday 16 November 2004

There've been 3 massive seizures this year but use of the drug is rife among young Australians and no longer restricted to nightclubs and raves. There's a push for ecstasy pills to be tested for lethal substances before use. So how do we deal with the ecstasy phenomenon?

Presenter: Sandy McCutcheon
Producer: Keng Lim

Streaming Primary Source: Real Media | Windows Media
Streaming Secondary Source: Windows Media
Download: Windows Media

Last edited:
WoW, that was certainly the best media piece I've heard on testing. Even Dr Mukesh Haikerwal from the AMA was realistic and presented what I thought was a pretty honest view of MDMA use and testing. It also shows, he's been greatly informed since the last comment I heard a week or so ago.

It was a surprise to hear so few callers opposed to testing. Perhaps it would be different on a more commercial station, but the channel 9 poll indicates a much wider community support so maybe not.

It's certainly been a fast moving month. Sounds like it's nearly time to hoist the main sail drplatypus =D

The thing ive noticed (i heard something on the radio a week or so ago) and the paper.

is that people who oppose it, think that MDMA is as lethal as PMA, they dont understand that all ecstacy doesn't kill, its only the adultered pills.

comments such as: "why should we test pills, and tell them its pure, if they are pure they are lethal"

Had a listen yesterday and was mostly very impressed - great interviewer! DrPlatypus, you came across very well I must say! Seems the main argument is the fear of being seen to condone drug use and the fear of testing giving legal responsibility to the testers. I was disappointed to not hear any mention of PMA and its effects and also a little disappointed at the way Lisa (NDI?) dodged around some interesting questions without giving a real answer. Does seem the tides are turning, though I wanted to slap that guy about who said that drugs had ruined him!

*editted*

it's downloadable in ASF as mentioned by Cowboy Mac a few posts down...

Last edited:
Yeah, I thought it was a good listen, but I was doing other things as well as listening so I zoned out in a few places. It seems like there may be a few legal hurdles to overcome before this really takes off.

I can't wait until I can jump on a government (or other) site and check out exactly whats in the biccies I'm buying. Personally I think it would be a huge benefit.

I would have loved to have got the chance to make a comment on this program. Its good to see that there is positive debate on this issue and hopefully in the future they will realise all the positive outcomes from pill testing.

just listening to it now.. the interviewer's great, asking the right questions

2 I just liked to Dr Mukesh Haikerwal

Why is it dangerous in a dance party situation but not in a clinical situation?

If testing can potentially save lives, aren't we duty bound to go down that route?

That was a fantastic listen!

I think some really excellent questions and issues were raised.

Talking about it however, is not implementing the measures that need to be put in place in order for drug testing to happen.

Wow..... i think all the ppl when i was younger all rang up from around oz :p it was only a matter of time till the generation change came upon us :D ..... I thank whoever organised that 1hr radio broadcast i just hope more ppl can get the message they did out.

I just hope government shifts their views on this and move to legalization or even lab drug testing, and will drive the "Bad pills" out of business ... But saying that, i beleive there would be a chain effect to another substance then. However, able to manage easyer and stop. Drugz wont go away we all know :) just take a look at afganistan , its pplz lives and how they live (speaking on heroin) .

MDMA is not safe 100% neither is taking heaps of anitbiotics or taking painkillers or herbal pills , anything exessive is bad, and i think thats the goal we have to achieve.

I dont blame the police, their just doin their job i guess :( ...but they sure dun know where to look and start for that matter

I just got a chance to actually listen to it right though (burning it to a CD and listening in the car was the way I found the time, if anyone else is in the same boat).

Absolutly fantastic! I think a lot of the "just say no" camp who normally call talkback radio were scared off by the fact that it was actually a rational debate instead of the usual emotional debate comercial radio stations tend to have. All the guests made logical points, and even the vast majority of the callers seemed like they'd actually given the issue some thought. I got the impression that Louisa had a list of things she wasn't allowed to admit, and she did a good job of getting around them. Off air and off the record I suspect she may have admitted that ecstacy is no where near as dangerous as what it's made out to be.

Thumbs up! :)