• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Body's Natural Endorphins combined with recreational opiates/opioids

PhorIndicator

Bluelighter
After I do an intense full body workout (lifting weights) I experience a pretty significant amount of euphoria afterwards for about 2 hours. Equivalent to about 15 mg of hydrocodone I'd say, seriously. I am talking about a hard work out though. I am sure this question i am asking would also pertain to the endorphin high given after a long run).

My question is, would taking opiates after an intense workout increase the high

Err- i guess a better way to phrase the question is - would working out before taking opiates increase the high it produced? Would it possibly decrease it, since you've already used up some endorphins? Would it have little or no effect at all?

I've lifted weights while on doses of opiates I could easily tolerate, then got sick feeling, like I had too much.

No I dont really think it makes any significant difference in actual fact. However in the past I have noticed a good buzz whilst doing exercise after a few weeks of ginseng. I thought that this might be linked to increased production of endorphins although obviously I cant prove it...

Bet me to it... Yeah, the proof that "runners high" is caused by endorphins is thin on the ground. Sorry.

it may increase the high a bit due to improved circulation, but shouldn't have any significant effect really...

Smyth said:
No I dont really think it makes any significant difference in actual fact. However in the past I have noticed a good buzz whilst doing exercise after a few weeks of ginseng. I thought that this might be linked to increased production of endorphins although obviously I cant prove it...

thats interesting, since ginseng has opiate antagonist properties.

BilZ0r said:
Bet me to it... Yeah, the proof that "runners high" is caused by endorphins is thin on the ground. Sorry.

I'll take that bet. Runner's high is not caused by endorphins? Are you smoking crack?

No, bet as in the made up past-tense of beat... He beat me to putting up that graph...

I didn't say runners high isn't caused by endorphins, just that the evidence isn't that strong, and that theres not really any good evidence to think that it is... infact in my opinion, there's better evidence that it is caused by endogenous cannabinoids... well not better, I suppose equal...

Last edited:
oh...i wondered about that misspelling actually. However, despite any evidence that is "not that strong", I don't really think it's even a disputable issue. The body's response to pain (ESPECIALLY physical exercise) is to release endorphins, the body's natural pain killer.

Also, i am talking about ingesting opiates AFTER working out. Increase, decrease, anybody got an educated guess, or preferably, an answer based on personal experience?

Huh? What? How could you say its not a disputable fact, when there's hardly any evidence to support it. Then only evidence is the fact that exercise induced mood changes, are slightly reduced by huges doses of mixed opioid antagonists...

Most of the evidence that beta-endorphins are released by exercise has been shown to be wrong, because they used non-specific antibodies which cross reacted with some lipid.

Blizor has a point. These studies are done and the findings are published. What happens alot of the time is the media jump on these findings and when people read it in the newspapers they believe it is the the unquestionable and universal truth. Hence the link between decreased SERT production and depression, but it is at best an oversimplification to think that this is the whole story.

Last edited:
I will submit to your "evidence" - well, rather, my "lack of evidence" or studies proving endorphins are released after intense exercise.

All i can say is that ummmm...like, they are. :) Go lift weights or jog 3 miles and tell me how you feel afterwards. Take a shower and then go smoke a cigarette. Tell me if it feels more like being stoned or more like taking a few percos or some codeine. LOL - they're fuckin endorphins!

They're not enkephalins? Dynorphins? Orphinans? Its not a complicated cytokine mediated intracellular multiplier effect? Perhaps it's an effect of the enigmatic sigma receptor?

You don't know... I'd think that your arguement had some validity if you had felt what beta-endorphins fell like when injected into the brain, but you haven't.

PHORINDICATOR-i have alot of experience with taking OPIODS and exercising..i will say this, the BEST high i have ever had(probably ever will have) is when i take some EPHEDRINE 30 minutes before workout...i go out and BUST MY ASS lifting weights(cardio activities dont work as well imo), and after im reeling from the EPHEDRINE "spike" and endorphin rush from exercise, i then would slam down some nice OPIODS..i honestly cannot believe how FEW drug users do this, as it is truly a very effective method of increasing your HIGH..

the feeling one gets from working out is nice by itself, and taking OPIODS is really nice, and the EPHEDRINE gives ya that high energy feeling, combine these three things and its PURE HEAVENLY BLISS..whether studies back these claims i dont care, im living proof..go ahead, pick up some ephedrine, opiods, and go bust yer ass in the gym, come home and get high..nuthin better..

i have recommended doing this "stack" to everyone i know and maybe ONE person has tried it..i cant figure it out..

Maybe because taking large amounts of epedrine and working out is an interesting way of doing damage to your cardiovascular system in some way?

its still a testimony to my own experiences that working out prior to an ingesting opioids increases the high significantly

I was referring to the combo "Tongue" was mentioning mixing ephedrine and working out and opioids