Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

What makes a drug illegal?

CC

Bluelighter
I was thinking today (as you do)
and was wondering what makes a drug illegal. There are thousands of different drugs available all over the world from asprin to alcohol to mdma etc, etc.
So why is mdma a banned substance, while alcohol and aspirin are not?
Is it abuse of the substance?
If that is the case, why is alcohol not banned. Also if everyone started going out and abusing panadol (stupid thought I know), would it become an illegal drug?
I hate it when thought's like this pop into my head, I've got enought to think about allready!
Anyways
------------------
Just say CC's
A Smirk is just a little Smile :)

Can't give any answers, but I'd sure love to hear them, coz I've been thinking about this for quite a while!!
smile.gif

------------------
I think of my life as a series of sketches; each one funnier than the last

well cc - the reasons some drugs are legal and others not are fairly arbritrary ones, and are also historically, culturally and politically contingent. actually most drugs are legal, eg. prescription medication, alcohol, tabacco, or fall into the category of substances which may be used as drugs, eg. petrol, nitrous, paint thinner, solvents.
i don't believe that abuse is the key reason for the status of a drug as illegal nor potential harm, because in oz from 1990-1999 70% of drug related deaths were due to tabacoo use. in 1997, of the 22 000 drug related deaths and more than 250 000 drug related hospitalisation cases licit drugs (ie alcohol and tabacco) were responsible for 96% of the cases.
the legal status of certain drugs can be linked to moral panics, moral entrepeneurs and the increasing medicalisation of society. legality is determined by who is able to define legality at a particular time, ie. who is in a position of power (eg. government) and able to impose their views of chemical substances onto the public or law-makers. however, cultural norms also come into play, as some societies accept or even condone the use of some drugs while other societies have zero-tolerance policies. as is observable here in oz, alcohol is a culturally accepted drug, and it has got the point where you are almost abnormal if you don't use it (or at least try it a little).
other reasons are historic - for example, opiates were outlawed in Australia during the goldrush due to their link with Chinese immigrants. as the Chinese immigrants' behaviour was labelled deviant, this definition was applied to everyone using opiates and hence, their now illegal status.
basically, i guess it all comes down to the social meanings drugs have for a particular society at a particular time.
------------------
CRIKEY!
[This message has been edited by bluegirl (edited 13 September 2000).]

nice post that last 1
Only other thing you forgot, was that most drugs are deemed legal if they have a medical use (i.e. asprin gets rid of headaches) and is not deemed to be an abused substance, or impair judgement and thinking, or are dangerous to a persons health. Those that are abused but have medical uses are restricted, like morphine.
This is where the mdma debate is contentious, alot of the medical profession beleived mdma had many medical uses, however it was not placed on the restricted list, but instead was completely banned, go figure.
another thing to consider is the potential harm of that substance, for example nitrous gets abused, but because it isn't harmful it is still legal (that could easily change though).
Finally the alcohol and tobacco. Fact is, too many ppl have taken them for too long for anyone to be able to make it illegal, it just isn't feasible. If drugs such as these were discovered today they would stand less chance than e's of becoming legalised
smile.gif
, a good point to bring up next time you have an arguement with your dad about illegal drugs whilst he smokes his tenth ciggie for the day hehehe.
------------------
Addicted to the Atmosphere........

Which makes me wonder even more about why e was outlawed. Anyone actually know the reasons to this?
I'll have to go do some research into this.....
------------------
Just say CC's

the impression that i was under was that mdma was controlled (read: prescription drug) in australia until 1985. it was used to treat mental conditions (can see why
biggrin.gif
) but in 1985 it was deemed that there was no longer any medical use for it. so stick it on the illegal drug list.
peace out brotha 9.
sean

It's simple!
If everyone used e all the time, the world would be a very happy and loving place.
There would be no money for the government from fines, (because nobody would do anything wrong) and there would be nobody willing to fight a war if the need arose.
Its all a conspiracy people!
wink.gif

Luv Voodoo
smile.gif

If everyone used e all the time, then we'd be in constant depression for those moments when we weren't on e!! Though I know where you are coming from man.
I was watching a doco called "Timothy Leary Isn't Dead Yet" or something like that and Ken Kesey was talking about the war in bosnia, and was saying that instead of dropping napalm on people they should drop caskets of lsd, people would see the beauty in living.
------------------
I haven't got the fear, you've always had those devilish horns.

As beautiful as the world would be peaking - can you imagine a world were everyone was on a comedown - ouuuucccchhhhh!!!
------------------
"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, doesn't try it on" - Billy Connolly

If everyone were on e all the time, then either everyone would be f***ing up their heads or makers of 5-HTP would be laughing all the way to the bank
smile.gif

------------------
Just say CC's

at least that way if someone was bitchy with you, you'd know that they were coming down and be able to write it off simply, rather than wondering 'what's up your arse today?' hee hee

Yeah but you'd wonder about arsehole's like Saddam Hussien & Co. on a comedown
frown.gif

------------------
"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, doesn't try it on" - Billy Connolly

RUMOUR CONTROL
MDMA has never been legal (scheduled) in Australia or anywhere else for that matter.
for more informations see this thread:
Prescription MDMA?
------------------
"i think i'll stick to drugs to get me thru the long, dark night of late-capitalism..."
Irvine Welsh
[This message has been edited by johnboy (edited 13 September 2000).]

Basically i think Drugs are illegal for 3 main reasons
1. The drug is not socially accepted in wider, mainstream society
2. The government can't add a huge ammount of tax to the price the drug so they don't want to make it legal (look at how much tax the government lumps on ciggers and alkey...)
3. The drug is plain bad for you
Peace
rc1n
------------------
It's been a long time, I shouldnt have left you without some dope pills to chomp through.... (erik B + rc1n..)

4. The drug is associated with people who hold views that are not aligned with those of mainstream and/or government.
------------------
"Your understanding of life extends as far as the questions your prepared to ask."