Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Topic: Nutmeg

funkyfella

Bluelighter
Well, I know it sounds stupid to those who haven't heard of it, and juvenile to those who have, but I was just wondering if there are any nutmeg (yes, the powdered spice, and a mild psychoactive) users out there?
I myself am not a user (well, when I was in yr 9 I ate some toast with 'space paste' on it and all I did was spew) but I just wanted to check if there are any out there and if there is, what it is like? I read about it at www.erowid.org and was curious.
Cheers people!
------------------
"dance to the music, dance"
- Bob Marley

From a quick search... (clicking the search button and using "nutmeg" as the keyword) I found 24 posts about nutmeg.
Most people seem to advise mixing it with something that will cover the taste, and say that yes, you can trip from it, but it's not altogether that fun, and the comedown is a bitch. eg,
http://www.bluelight.ru/ubb/Forum15/HTML/000505.html
BigTrancer
smile.gif

In our century, nutmeg's story has taken another twist. The myristicin it contains - a hallucinogen with nasty side-effects - has inspired its use as a recreational drug. Malcolm X got high on nutmeg in a Boston jail. And Charlie Parker, it was said, would eat whole nutmegs, as hallucinogenic snacks, with milk or cola on the side.
http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m0FQP/4421_128/54169227/p2/article.jhtml
A jazz musician who played regularly with the legendary saxophonist Charlie Parker (known as 'Bird') recalled that: 'Bird introduced this nutmeg to the guys. It was a cheap and legal high. You can take it in milk or Coca-Cola. The grocer across the street came over to the club owner and said, "I know you do all this baking because I sell from eight to ten nutmegs a day." And the owner came back and looked at the bandstand and there was a whole pile of nutmeg boxes.''
In 1946, before his conversion to Islam, Malcolm X used nutmeg whilst in jail when his supplies of marijuana ran out. In his autobiography he wrote: 'I first got high in Charlestown [prison] on nutmeg. My cellmate was among at least a hundred nutmeg men who, for money or cigarettes, bought from kitchen worker inmates penny matchboxes full of stolen nutmeg. I grabbed a box as though it were a pound of heavy drugs. Stirred into a glass of cold water, a penny matchbox full of nutmeg had the kick of three or four reefers.' When the authorities became aware of such uses of nutmeg it was removed from many prison kitchens.
http://www.moodfoods.com/nutmeg/
------------------
"i think i'll stick to drugs to get me thru the long, dark night of late-capitalism..."
Irvine Welsh

Hey guys, the search is great (it wouldn't work for me when I tried to look up nutmeg, but you didn't know that!) but eventually, if people only looked up topics that had been posted before, there would be no new topics!!
I wanted to find out for myself and hear actual annecdotal evidence that I could quiz the info supplier about!! Thanks, but lets just say, that I know where the search function is, i did say that I was looking on erowid.org didn't i??
Cheers!

... nutmeg ... ergh. Are we really getting that desperate to get off... no offence intended but it just seems rather silly to be trying such things when by all accounts it sucks... sorry that's my $0.02 today...

Well, at my old house at 190 George
wink.gif
a couple of my housemates were extremely poor and desperate to get smashed a 'different' way.. so they ate a heap of nutmeg (put it in tea methinks), all that happened was they got a little bit giddy, passed out and awoke with a horrible hangover.
Niiiice.. fark! When trips cost 10 bucks each, why bother going organic? teehee

A mate and I got back to his place after a rather big one, and decided to nourish ourselves with a healthy smoothie.
As we gathered ingredients - bananas, strawberries etc.. I remembered this post and reached for the nutmeg, of which we added 8 spoonfuls to consume between us.
Not quite knowing the best way to approach this horrid tasting concoction, we agreed upon taking it in turns to gulp mouthfulls. Soon we were bent over in stiches watching each other try and keep it all down after each gulp. After about half an hour we began to feel 'different' (not just in the stomach) but didn't really notice much, so we had a cone each. This was the key to the most intense visuals we'd ever had.
smile.gif

For half a day we marvelled at cd covers, old rave flyers, surfing posters, anything we could set our eyes upon. Everything we stared at for longer than a few seconds began moving, photos had 3D qualities and looked astoundingly real. It was interesting to see if the same things were happening to the pictures we were both looking at.
It was my idea of a perfect trip as I like to feel in control and I had no mindfuck whatsoever, just awesome visuals.
smile.gif
As for notion that it can make for a bad trip, we went out again that night, and my mate can vouch for that. It all became a bit much and he went walkabout and called us the next morning unexpainably halfway accross Sydney. I'll definitely be nutmegging more often
smile.gif

Just to clarify, for those that haven't read the Erowid link, the psychoactive part of nutmeg (and the ONLY part that is) is the red film that covers the nut inside the shell. To get this, you need WHOLE nutmegs, not the powdered ground stuff you buy in supermarkets or in bottles from McCormick's spice range!
If you eat a bottle of ground nutmeg and expect to get 'visuals', you're 'tripping' yourselves, dear reader!
smile.gif

Also: be very careful if you do decide to eat this red 'film'. Getting an exact dose of this drug is, by extension, extremely difficult and the literature I read on this psychoactive is that it can be dangerous in decent quantities (ie. a whole film, or even less). There are many better ways to experience a trip (mushies, LSD anyone?)..
take care
wink.gif

------------------
The latest Event info, Pill Tests and Club Listings, online: http://www.the-peak.com.au

well candyflip I'm astounded - what we consumed was the powder as you would have deduced. I had no idea I was capable of inducing such vivid hallucinations. I'm fact I'm quite sure I'm not capable of tripping myself out to such an extent, I'd consider myself an imaginative guy but sheeeesh!?!!
Possibly there was something in one of the pills we had the previous night - but I'll try it again soon whilst straight and let yuz know what happens...
smile.gif

I remember grinding it up and smoking it once upon a time. I liken the taste to toilet water, unflushed for days and days.
Not a fave of mine. When a cone = a dollar or so, if I want something different I'll have a bucket.

OOps, I read up a little deeper today (slow at work!
smile.gif
) and it appears it's not JUST the red film (or aril) of the nutmeg that produces psychotropic effects...it's the oil contained within the kernel and other parts of the nutmeg seed that is at least partly attributable to the blurred vision, halucinations etc... Apparently this oil is NOT removed during the preparation of the spice Nutmeg (can anyone confirm?).
Interestingly though, no one has quite pinned down exactly what it is in nutmeg that causes these effects. Yes, they believe some of this state is caused by the ingestion of the myristicin present in the oil, but it alone cannot be the sole contributor, according to scientific research listed within Erowid ( www.erowid.org ).
Anyway, it appears up to 30gms of this stuff, right out of the spice bottle, may have the effects described above!....well blow me down, I stand corrected.
smile.gif

+ MACMILLAN DICTIONARY OF TOXICOLOGY:
myristicin :
A naturally occurring methylenedioxyphenyl compound found in
nutmeg. It has been suggested that myristicin may be
responsible, in whole or in part, for the toxicity of nutmeg.
The spice (5-15g) causes symptoms similar to atropine
poisoning: flushing of skin, tachycardia, absence of
salivation, and excitation of the central nervous system.
Euphoria and hallucinations have given rise to abuse of this
material. As a methylenedioxyphenyl compound, myristicin
gives rise to a type III spectrum with reduced cytochrome
P-450 and can inhibit monooxygenations catalyzed by this
cytochrome. See also AMPHETAMINES; CYTOCHROME P-450, OPTICAL
DIFFERENCE SPECTRA; HALLUCINOGENS.
+ ILLUSTRATED CHURCHILL'S MEDICAL DICTIONARY (page 1227) and
+ INTERNATIONAL DICTIONARY OF MEDICINE AND BIOLOGY (page 1868)
(These have exactly the same text.)
myristicin
A toxic, crystalline, safrole derivative present in star
anise, parsley seed oil, and nutmeg oil. When ingested in
large quantities, it can cause convulsions, hallucinations,
tachycardia, and possibly death.
STANDARD FOR NUTMEG OILS. British Standard Specifications
for East Indian and West Indian Nutmeg Oil (BS 2999/37/38: 1971)
are published by the British Standards Institution.
Adverse Effects
Nutmeg, taken in large doses may cause nausea and vomiting,
flushing, dry mouth, tachycardia, stimulation of the central
nervous system possibly with epileptiform convulsions, miosis,
mydriasis, euphoria, and hallucinations.
Within 4 hours of taking 28 g of nutmeg in water and orange
juice, a 19-year-old woman felt cold and shivery. This was
followed after 6 to 8 hours by severe vomiting accompanied by
hallucinations. For a week she had poor concentration and was
disorientated. The hallucinogen in nutmeg was believed to be
myristicin. - D. J. Panayotopoulos and D. D. Chisholm (letter),
Br. med. J., 1970, 1, 754. A similar report. - R. A. Faguet
and K. F. Rowland, Am. J. Psychiat., 1978, 135, 860.
Within 3 days of receiving ground nutmeg 9 teaspoonfuls daily
to control the diarrhoea associated with nodullary carcinoma
of the thyroid, a patient complained of dry eyes and mouth,
blurred vision, dizziness, tingling, and feelings of
depersonalisation and remoteness. The symptoms gradually
subsided as the dose was reduced. - G. S. Venables et al.
(letter), Br. med. J., 1976, I, 96.
Ingestion of freshly ground nutmeg 1.5 to 4 g three to four
times daily for 2 days by 2 subjects produced constipation,
but no aspirin-like effect on biphasic platelet aggregation
was noted. Both subjects also felt light-headed, slightly
disorientated, occassionally nauseated, flushed, and had
nasal congestion and very dry mouths; pupil size was
unaffected. - W. H. Dietz and M. J. Stuart (letter),
New Engl. J. Med., 1976, 294, 503.
You were right: this stuff works. But would you want it to?!?
Please be careful!...
smile.gif

------------------
The latest Event info, Pill Tests and Club Listings, online: http://www.the-peak.com.au