• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

CYP3A4 and tryptamines

jdude3

Bluelighter
Do any of you chem folk know to what extent (if any) CYP3A4 helps break down tryptamines? Specifically psilocybin? Might taking a CYP3A4 inhibitor help to potentiate the effects of mushrooms?

Tried a search for "grapefruitahusca" and found nothing.. hehe

Last edited:
Well... CYP3A4 should hydoxylate phenethylamines somewhere on their benzene ring...

CYP2D6 O-demetylates some 5-Methoxytryptamines(1) and I believe monoamine oxidase plus aldehyde dehyroxylase should attack any non-orally active tryptamine to their corrisponding indole acetic acid. I've never heard of CYP3A4 doing much, but its quite a promiscous cytochrome, so it might.

I found this intersting paper which indicates that psilocin is the absorbed, wihle psilocybin is not.

My two cats tried this out over the weekend. One drinking a little over a pint of grapefruit juice an hour prior to ingestion of mushrooms. The other did not.

No other drugs were taken, and neither had ingested mushrooms for about 6 months. Neither ate anything the day of the journey. Both ate 3.5 grams powered in a glass of milk (cats love milk).

The first cat didn’t seem to have a more intense trip, but the peak effects did seem to last aprox. 1-2 hours longer than the first cat. There are so many factors that could effect duration though; it sure as hell wasn't definitive evidence by any means.

Thanks for the article! Very interesting stuff :) I think more experiments are needed. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was an interaction. Doesn’t hurt anything to drink a glass of juice before a trip as it is.