• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

(slightly OT) - neuronal culture pilots flight sim!

Hmmm.... Id like to see them figure how they we wired together...

And I wonder how they encouraged them to grow in the right way...

Sounds interesting. Too bad the article is so weak on details. BTW, this sort of thing can already be done in computer neural networks using back-propogation or some of the other methods of neural training. Of course, living neurons are likely to have better training algorithms, and I want to know them!

This stuff is pretty amazing. I had no idea this area of science had come so far already. Wonder how long before they can tap straight into the human brain..

And that neural networks stuff is really interesting - i just learnt about neural networks & backpropogation, but it hadn't occured to me that living neurons' learning algorithm was different to the one used in theory.

Encouraging

Although this is still in the early stage of development, this is some of the most encouraging scientific research I have seen in years. I would say that controlled petri-dish cultivation of biological cells is the best thing since DNA fingerprinting and genetic engineering.

I dunno, it is one thing to cultivate the cells. But to have it think like some sort of Krang out of the turtles, thats amazing! A heard a few years ago that the future computers are going to be bio-electronic but this is the sort of work that actually lays validity to those claims.

What do you think?

I gathered from that article that the scientist grew some brain cells over a grid electrodes that could be interfaced with another computer...

And the cells learned a computer protocol on their OWN?

???

It seems logical that this would work by designing a predetermined grid, but as the above poster has already mentioned: How do they get the neurons to grow in the right direction?

The idea is: the neurons organize themselves based on their interaction with the grid.