• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Dextromethorphan Mechanism of Action

Riemann Zeta

Bluelighter
Dextromethorphan is one of the most fascinating drugs I have ever encountered--it has a bewildering array of psychical/phenomenological effects, including dissociative, empathoogenic, stimulant, depressant, psychedelic, euphoric and dysphoric qualities. In myself, dextromethorphan often functions as a 'bittersweet emotional amplifier,' creating profound feelings of both happiness/contentment and feelings of nostalgia/sentimentality. Perhaps most interesting is the dose-dependent and inter-subject variance of the effects of dextromethorphan. My wife, for example, has a similar response to my own (at lower doses), albeit with notable nausea and motion-sickness; yet my mates usually only experience spatiotemporal distortion and psychedelic effects (at any dose). In most individuals I know, low doses are often empathogenic and stimulating, whereas high doses are either fully dissociative (akin to ketamine) or psychedelic.

Obviously, it is well known that dextromethorphan and its O-desmethyl metabolite dextrophan are MK801-esque noncompetitive NMDA receptor antagonists, with Ki values of 405.2 and 2913 nM, respectively (Sun & Wessinger, 2004). This makes sense considering the PCP/ketamine-like efffects. However, little is known about the other effects of the drug. Like PCP and SKF-10047, dextromethorphan (and dextrophan) are potent sigma-receptor agonists. No really knows what the sigma receptor does, but many think that it is an auxiliary subunit to the voltage-gated Kv1.4/1.5 potassium channel (Ayudar et al, 2002). It is unknown whether or not the sigma receptor plays a large role in the effects of dextromethorphan or PCP, but other sigma ligands appear to have some limited psychedelic properties.

I am most interested in the interactions that dextromethorphan (and dextrophan) may have with the dopaminergic and/or serotonergic systems. Coadministration of MDA/MDMA/MDEA or d-fenfluramine with dextromethorphan results in 5-HT syndrome. Thus, dextromethorphan is likely also a 5-HT reuptake inhibitor or 5-HT releaser (do other NMDA antagonists/sigma ligands cause 5-HT syndrome?). Also, many people claim dextromethorphan is a dopamine reuptake inhibitor. In fact, dextromethorphan does indeed have some in vitro affinity for the DAT, but this claim is sketchy at best (it has never been tested in vivo). So, what does everyone think?

Riemann Zeta said:
Perhaps most interesting is the dose-dependent and inter-subject variance of the effects of dextromethorphan. My wife, for example, has a similar response to my own (at lower doses), albeit with notable nausea and motion-sickness; yet my mates usually only experience spatiotemporal distortion and psychedelic effects (at any dose).

You could possibly attribute that to varying p450 enzyme levels.

I used to this that DXMs SSRIs activity was neglibable, and was, you know, just talked about becayse people love talkin' about 5-HT. I've never really gone down to the library to get any full articles on the subject, but theres a paper which nicely enough gives DXMs IC50 for 5-HT uptake into platlets as 120nM (Ahtee et al., 1975). Also, in vivo, DXM blocks the serotonergic neurotoxicity of p-chloroamphetamine (Henderson and Fuller, 1992). So it looks like its an SSRI, not an amphetamine-esque compound.

But the again, SSRIs don't really do much if you eat them, so I don't think that can really explain much? Or maybe it can, if we assume that secondary to DXMs other actions, serotonergic activity is greatly increased.

Now when it comes to sigma (which I note rang dale and ritter have finally taken out of the Opioid section in their text), things get messy quick. It seems that PCP doesn't induce stimulus control in rats via sigma1 (Mori et al., 2001), but that PCP doesn't generalize to DXM... But doses are really important when it comes to non-selective drugs and descrimination... and I don't really know enough about it... I know DXM can generalize to MK-801.
51144NMDA-antags.gif

See I reckon the fact that PCP is quite a bit off the line of best fit, indicates that it's the most sigma-ey of those drugs... as they had to give a higher dose than expected.

That voltage gated stuff is interesting because of the disagreement over whether sigma1 has 1 or 2 transmembrane domains... with the 2TM it looks like a couple of Kvs...

dxm is a kappa and sigma opioid receptor agonist, similarly to salvia. it has dopamine and serotonin reuptake inhibition as you stated and NMDA receptor antagonism