• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

serotonin degeneration versus depletion in meth, MDMA, others

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyperborea13

Ex-Bluelighter
http://www.neuroscience.com/manuscripts-1996/1996-009-zhou/1996-009-zhou.html

We all know drugs like meth, MDA, and MDMA fuck with 5-HT, 5-HIAA, norepinephrine, epinephrine, a d dopamine. The article basically goes into exactly what methamphetamine does to serotonin (and to a lesser extent, dopamine) neurons. Specifically, it examines the difference between serotonin neuron degeneration and depletion.

In other words, it explains in great detail all of the bad shit crystal does to you brain. Blah blah blah. we all know this. What I am curious about is what is implied about other psychostimulants and hallucinogens.

In the introduction, Zhou and Bledsoe state that:

A number of hallucinogens and psychostimulants, including LSD, cocaine, 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA, Ecstasy) , 3,4-methylenedioxyamphetamine (MDA), methamphetamine (MA, Crystal) and various other analogs of amphetamine, are known to have major effects on serotonin (5-HT) [and/or dopamine] neurons. These chemicals, through different routes in different species, alter or in many cases decrease 5-HT and/or 5-HIAA in areas of the brain (De Souza et al., 1990; Gibb et al., 1987; 1990; De Souza and Battaglia, 1989; Sanders-Bush et al., 1988; Kleven & Seiden, 1989; Sonsalla et al., 1989; Sonsalla & Heikkila, 1988; Ricaurte et al., 1980, 1985,1988; Finnegan et al., 1988; Schmidt & Taylor, 1988; Pierce & Peroutka, 1990; Woolverton et al., 1989; Stone et al., 1986). This observation leads to an important question: "Are serotonergic neurons degenerated by these compounds ?" Immunocytochemical staining, using 5-HT antibody, shows that a large number of 5-HT immunostaining fibers disappear from the brain (Axt & Molliver, 1991; Appel et al., 1989; O'Hearn et al., 1988). In some cases, the reduction in immunostaining fibers seems to be long-lasting (MA and MDMA); in other cases, the fibers reappear in varying degrees and at different time periods.

Questions:
1. They state that MDMA causes long-lasting reduction in immunostaining fibers. Where do they get this from, and what evidence do they have for it? I've never tried E, and have the chance to do so in about a month. If I have reason to believe this statement, I will most definately not do E.

2. Is there any research on whether the reduction in immunostaining fibers is long-lasting in the other substances mentioned?

3. Psylocibin Mushrooms are not listed. As shrooms and weed are the only psychoactive substances that I truly consider benevolent and want to continue using occasionally as I mature, I am curious as to whether there is any research done on their effect on serotonin, and if it is long-lasting or not.

Sorry for any rambling, I havn't slept for a while:\

Well in answer to question 1, they cite a bunch of articles, Axt & Molliver, 1991; Appel et al., 1989; O'Hearn et al., 1988.

I don't understand question 2. What drugs longer than what drugs?

3) Well there is some evidence that marijuana is neurotoxic too. (This Thread).

Although I'm not in the camp that MDMAs "neurotoxic" effects are non-exsistant, or completely reversable in humans (I don't think there's enough data out there yet to conclude anything), more recent studies in human users have show a decrease in serotonin uptake transporters in 'current' users, but that they return to baseline aftet a period of abstinance (Buchert et al., 2004; Thomasius et al., 2003).

Status
Not open for further replies.