• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Captodiamine for WD of long-term benzo use

swybs

Bluelighter
Study for captodiamine for WD of long-term benzo use 28-10-2004 18:17 (#2397821)
Curr Med Res Opin. 2004 Sep;20(9):1347-55. Related Articles, Links

The role of captodiamine in the withdrawal from long-term benzodiazepine treatment.

Mercier-Guyon C, Chabannes JP, Saviuc P.

Centre d'Etudes et de Recherches en Medecine du Trafic, Annecy, France. [email protected]

BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVES: Discontinuation of benzodiazepines can be associated with the emergence of a withdrawal syndrome which compromises successful termination of treatment. The objective of the present study was to evaluate whether a six week administration of captodiamine during benzodiazepine discontinuation could prevent emergence of a benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome and thus facilitate discontinuation of these drugs. SUBJECTS AND METHODS: A controlled, randomised, double-blind trial of captodiamine versus placebo was conducted in 81 subjects presenting mild to moderate anxiety and treated for at least 6 months with a stable dose of benzodiazepine. Each subject was gradually weaned from benzodiazepines over a 14 day period using a tapering dose schedule and received captodiamine (150 mg/d) or placebo for 45 days from the beginning of the weaning period. OUTCOME MEASURES: The primary outcome criterion was the extent of withdrawal symptoms assessed using the Tyrer Benzodiazepine Withdrawal Symptom Questionnaire. Secondary outcome criteria were; self-evaluation of tension, anxiety, drowsiness and slowing of physical and mental performance using visual analogue scales; quality of sleep using the Spiegel questionnaire; anxiety using the Hamilton Anxiety Rating Scale; and cognitive function using a driving stimulation test. RESULTS: Analysis of the primary study criterion revealed a statistically significant difference (p < 0.0001) in the emergence of withdrawal symptoms between the two groups in favour of captodiamine at two, six and eight weeks following initiation of therapy. These results were supported by significant beneficial effects of captodiamine on the majority of secondary outcome measures. The switch to captodiamine was associated with an improvement in vigilance, which may be an advantage for the overall safety of the anxiolytic treatment, for example with regard to road safety. Discontinuation of captodiamine was not associated with the emergence of rebound anxiety. CONCLUSION: Captodiamine represents an interesting strategy for achieving benzodiazepine substitution with a low risk of dependence or impairment of cognitive function. Further clinical studies addressing the anxiolytic activity and safety of captodiamine in such subjects are merited.

I have the PDF, if anyone is interested or if someone can tell me where it can be hosted.

-swybs

Pretty random drug... :\

Looks like there's hardly been any research on it at all.

Very interesting, it's a compound which comes from back in the day.
There are quite a few articles on pubmed, but I cant seem to find any of that in my university libraries. Because they are all from around the '60s.

It doesnt seem right that there arent any more researches on this compound. Not untill the article you posted anyway. I wonder if it's some way not a very healthy compound. It's just listed as an anti-anxiety like compound.

Some info through googling;

Tranquilizing and anxiolytic agent. Acting at the level of the limbic system. No or minor hypnotic properties. Has been used in various countries, at a dose age up to 450mg daily. No recent data. It has been reported that, compared to lorazepam, captodiame improves the concentration and dexterity of individuals when driving, without inducing a tendency to drowsiness.

** very strange it improves dexterity

structure:
1529.gif

looks like some sort of antibiotic.. on first glance.
commercial name is Covatin

------------

Ive had a quick glance on the whole article, but that data they represent is bollox. If you look closely it doesnt have any significant effect if i interprete the tabel correctly. So I dont think it will work or anything. Although I read on a board through my google.nl surf hunt that it is working as a anti-anxiety medicine. Dexterity is the bonus!! whehe.
But I dont think it works to help benzo withdrawal.
It's a nice try to promote such a medicine which isnt even working for the goal of their headline.
Take care.