PDA

View Full Version : Which country has the most liberal drug laws?

Hessel, R.K.
27-10-2004, 20:59
Denmark is the country that comes to mind, but does anyone know the facts? Which country has the most liberal drug policy overall?

Beatlebot
27-10-2004, 21:29
I think Portugal is pretty liberal. All drugs are decriminalised, including heroin. People are treated as patients rather than as criminals.

astarythe
28-10-2004, 00:38
Quick: I think Italy, Switzerland, and Holland are up there too.

longer: You'd need a better definition of 'liberal drug laws.' THere are countries with strict laws regarding the drugs that international organization have been so keen on repressing, and very law laws regarding, over-the-counters and prescription control.

That aside there are all the countries that have either no control or interst in enforcing the laws that are on the books. Brazil that still has indigeneous populations with whom there is, and never has been contact.

Then there are all the drugs that no contry (that i know of) has ever bothered to write laws on, because regaurdless of their risk factors or popularity they are seldom, if ever, commecial crops.

astarythe
28-10-2004, 00:40
the 'law laws' was supposed to be 'low laws'

sorry on other grammar mistakes too.

bouncer
28-10-2004, 01:04
I'd say Holland and former Soviet Union countries.

JTMarlin
28-10-2004, 03:42
It depends. If you want Heroin or Opium: it's Afghanistan. Cocaine: Colombia, since there's so much coke around that it's probably very hard to get in trouble for having a kilo or two. Amphetamines: probably the USA, because they're legal for the most part (unless you want meth, fuck that shit). Marijuana: definately Holland, followed by Canada. The only way to be free of all drug laws is to be a billionaire and own an island in international waters (12 nautical miles from mainland), where laws are not applicable. Living in Afghanistan and Colombia would probably bring more problems than you'd want to offset the lax drug laws.

nenarOPI
28-10-2004, 04:57
Italy is definitely not liberal towards drug laws. Spain is similar to Portugal with their decrim

rachamim18
30-10-2004, 03:05
Actually Marlin,although your contention of proximity equaling lax enforcement is severely flawed you are almost right about Colombia...Colombia has decriminalised personal use amounts of all controlled substances. This combined with the fact that Colombia is a major producer of both cocaine and heroin [not to mention weed] would lead me to nominate Colombia as the winner.

Portugal has decriminalised personal use amounts on many substances and countries such as Switzerland and Holland are lax in enforcing whatever statutes exist on their books.

Bad_Boy_Blue
30-10-2004, 13:12
Poland?

nyashin
30-10-2004, 13:35
In western Europe it is Portugal as far as I know. The worst country is where I live, Sweden.

Frump
30-10-2004, 21:22
I don't doubt the other people's info, but all I'm sure of is that Spain decriminalized most (if not all) drugs that you'd get in trouble for elsewhere.

vegan
30-10-2004, 22:47
^^ for personal use doses, you may get a fine, or nothing if you're lucky
but they can still take you to the post just for a joint if they're assholes

for dealing quantities, i don't think it's much better than anywhere else in europe

blase deviant
30-10-2004, 23:27
The real question is, which of the liberal drug countries have the best economy, jobs, government (non-repressive, good gov't. programs/roads/etc.)?

Jamshyd
01-11-2004, 18:34
As long as a country is a member of the UN, expect their drug laws and reinforcements to be somewhat similar to the US, since the UN has its own drug laws, and its members have to enforce them.

Therefore LSD is very illegal in the tiny counry of Jordan, even though no one there has ever heard of it.

bouncer
01-11-2004, 19:12
Originally posted by Bad_Boy_Blue
Poland?

Poland is NOT AT ALL liberal when it comes to drugs.

EpicureanDream
01-11-2004, 19:26
Russia has decriminalised all drugs for possession......

nenarOPI
01-11-2004, 19:54
right but does russia even have any good drugs??? hm..maybe some good heroin from the golden triangle..who knows

yayo
01-11-2004, 20:10
Originally posted by blase deviant
The real question is, which of the liberal drug countries have the best economy, jobs, government (non-repressive, good gov't. programs/roads/etc.)?

Sounds to me your question should be...

I'm a drug user, and want a good place I can live a prosperous life and get high on most things without fear of police harassment. Can you give me the country that fits this best? =D

And when you get the final answer, make sure I get wind so I can move.

astarythe- not bitching, but you don't seem to be aware of the edit button for posts. Just go to the post you wish to edit, look to the far left, under your name and click edit. Saves the double posts and apologies for small grammar mistakes.

VagabondGE
01-11-2004, 20:12
Originally posted by nenarOPI
right but does russia even have any good drugs??? hm..maybe some good heroin from the golden triangle..who knows

Russia has tons of acid, mushrooms and heroin. There's also a decent amount of hash (actual weed is rare) and ecstasy. I'm told meth is pretty common but never came across any myself.

Anyway, even with the 'decriminalization' the police there are so corrupt and so dependant on bribes that they can detain you for pretty much anything and get money from you in exchange for not beating the shit out of you. Drug use has a LOT of stigma among non-users in Russia.

blase deviant
01-11-2004, 22:06
I'm a drug user, and want a good place I can live a prosperous life and get high on most things without fear of police harassment. Can you give me the country that fits this best?

Heh, isn't that the question/dream of all of us? :)

=/

Some day. Maybe.

OsterHase
01-11-2004, 23:39
Originally posted by Beatlebot
I think Portugal is pretty liberal. All drugs are decriminalised, including heroin. People are treated as patients rather than as criminals.

Sorry to say that you are very wrong, you can get into jail even if you get caught with SOAPBAR (+15g and they consider "intention of dealing")...

I dunno why many people have that WRONG idea about Portugal, which can endup in lost of trouble.......

OsterHase
01-11-2004, 23:40
Originally posted by vegan
^^ for personal use doses, you may get a fine, or nothing if you're lucky
but they can still take you to the post just for a joint if they're assholes

for dealing quantities, i don't think it's much better than anywhere else in europe

exactly and that doesn't apply to all kinds of drugs...

LikuidKid
02-11-2004, 00:44
Originally posted by OsterHase
Sorry to say that you are very wrong, you can get into jail even if you get caught with SOAPBAR (+15g and they consider "intention of dealing")...

I dunno why many people have that WRONG idea about Portugal, which can endup in lost of trouble.......

well most people that have more than 15g of any powdered drug DO have the intention to deal, so this makes sense to me....

toxiku
02-11-2004, 01:03
Technically, you CAN go to jail round here if you'r caught with sumthing like 15-20 grams of soapbar, but that's highly unlikely. Almost every single cop round here is either highly tolerant to hash smokers and/or highly bribable (sp?). And even if u go to jail, you'll be on the streets the next day.

mrsumone
02-11-2004, 01:44
Originally posted by LikuidKid
well most people that have more than 15g of any powdered drug DO have the intention to deal, so this makes sense to me....

Soapbar is hash which is not a powdered drug.

OsterHase
02-11-2004, 01:51
toxiku - true but do you belive you will keep your police record clean?

belive me you wont if you get caught, and its not likely to get caught if you don't do it publicly of course but that can apply to everywhere...thats quite different than saying the country is liberal regarding drugs...

OsterHase
02-11-2004, 01:54
Originally posted by mrsumone
Soapbar is hash which is not a powdered drug.

lol missed that ;) good point

worse soapbar is the bottom of the barrel hash, some people don't even consider it real hashish since it has so much shit on it and it has a very low potency.

Try getting caught with Heroin, LSD, E,etc... and the same and then come back saying the country is liberal....

rachamim18
03-11-2004, 20:04
Jamshyd: Your contention is wrong. It is a non binding document. The one that I hate though is the one on precursors.

Real_Illusion
08-11-2004, 02:23
I bet the Galapagos Islands are pretty liberal.

rachamim18
08-11-2004, 05:24
I do not think so as it belongs to Ecuador.

p3rc3pt10n
10-11-2004, 22:18
In Mexico you can find just EVERYTHING, most of what goes from Colombia to the US passes through Mexico, everything is illegal too but the police is so corrupt.

You will never be taken to jail in Mexico for carrying small quantities as long as you have money with you to give it to the cops and don't try to be a smart ass if you get caught, they will even let you keep your stuff.

Now, if you get caught with large quantities, that's a whole different story.

Peyote and shrooms are tolerated in rural areas because the indigenous people who have lived there for centuries have always used them.

rachamim18
11-11-2004, 01:11
Definitely true in alot of areas...paticularly around the northern border and D.F. [Mexico City]. However, definitely not true in most other areas. While there are alot of drugs in the northern border area and all tourist destinations, one finds them scarce in other parts. All in all the threat of incarceration is real and a Mexican jail is not a fun place to be [as if any jail could ever be].

p3rc3pt10n
11-11-2004, 04:39
Originally posted by rachamim18
Definitely true in alot of areas...paticularly around the northern border and D.F. [Mexico City]. However, definitely not true in most other areas. While there are alot of drugs in the northern border area and all tourist destinations, one finds them scarce in other parts. All in all the threat of incarceration is real and a Mexican jail is not a fun place to be [as if any jail could ever be].

Yes, i agree with all that.

What i posted applies to Mexico City, citys along Mexico's border with the US and all the tourist destinations.

sp12
11-11-2004, 06:33
Wouldnt liberal drug laws be the ones where the government takes unnecessary control of its people's lives?

Conservative laws are the ones you are looking for (not to be confused with neo-Conservative Christian laws).

rachamim18
11-11-2004, 15:28
That is the literal POLITICAL definition...not the colloquial. In reality the Conservatives who feign such disdain at "Big Government" are in fact the very ones who enact all the piddingly obtrusive micro regulations and laws that drive all of us [drug users at least] nearer to insanity.

luv_lee
11-11-2004, 17:48
Here in Canada there pretty easy on you for weed use, they even have approved it for medicinal use---like chemotherapy and HIV ---I think also they cant arrest you if you have less than a 1gram on you for personal use. But they other stuff they are pretty strick on. Like if you get caught with an 8 ball your fucked, that possession with the intent to traffic, huge charge. I knew a guy that was running away from the cops and friggin ATE the 8 ball so when they caught him he had nothing on him. Needless to say ...........he was VERY sick the next day but he lived and didnt get charged.

DOnt know very much about other places just my input here in Canada.
OH.......maybe if you moved to Navanut or the NorthWest Territories up here in Canada nobody would bother you because there's nobody friggin out there! Hehehe

Luvlee

rachamim18
12-11-2004, 19:06
Yeah I'd imagine that 'd be the case but what about all the innovations? They considered "shooting rooms" and codeine as an alternative to opioid substitution therapy so I would tend to think that it might vary from locality to locality...say Vancouver being more liberal than Ottawa,etc.

malfunkshun
13-11-2004, 08:26
are there any countries where opiates, such as hydrocodone (or even tramadol), are OTC?

yayo
13-11-2004, 09:55
Originally posted by malfunkshun
are there any countries where opiates, such as hydrocodone (or even tramadol), are OTC?

It's been rumored often Mexico pharmacies are VERY easy to get hydrocodone and oxycodones from without a script. Anyone with more knowledge?

rachamim18
13-11-2004, 20:07
In Malaysia [among other places] you can get Tramadol o.t.c. In Israel you can get most opiates without scripts. The pharmacists are allowed to dispense as they see fit.

Raw Evil
15-11-2004, 13:29
Australia has pretty fucked-up drug laws, like a lot of places. There have been a couple of really big busts lately too. Damn John Howard and his blind, one-sided "Tough on Drugs" scheme!