Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Effects of speed and prozac

Tingles

Bluelighter
My girlfriend takes prozac before and after using speed. Does anybody know what the effects of this are??? Have read about E & prozac and how you shouldn't take prozac before hand although does assist when coming down
Did a search although didn't have much luck
Any help would be appreciated

Well, from what I have learned in psych, speed and MDMA affect different chemicals in the brain - that is, MDMA prevents the reuptake of 5HT (or serotonin) - this is the same thing that prozac does, the only thing I have heard that speed does is releases dopamine (but im sure it does other stuff as well).
So in my point of view prozac shouldn't really have any affect on taking speed. Then again i am only a 2nd year psych student - ask a psychopharmacologist.
SpankY

from my very limited understanding, the CNS action of most amphetamines and derivitives is much more prominent on the dopaminergic vs seratonergic systems, as such i would not expect much crosstolerance bewteen the two, but thn again, the agents, the dosage, the individual's metabolism etc..
maybe Drug Dustbin, Doc etc could shed some light?

MDMA RELEASES serotonin in enormous amounts not just prevents reuptake. Prozac only prevents reuptake, otherwise we all would be taking that instead of pills.
Amphetamines release dopamine and norepinephrine, those chemicals associated with adrenaline etc so its easy to see y it gives the effects it does.
Prozac and speed together should pose no problems and if the person does get depressed due to speed intake may well help this but strictly speaking they are not the same.