• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

5-htp impurities causing EMS disease

mmmm it would be interesting to see the full report of this, and also the brand names. We need to further look into this as it has a direct effect on us!
------------------
"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, doesn't try it on" - Billy Connolly

er did you check the date on that? its from august 1998... i'm sure if this was still a problem we would have heard more about it..
maybe we could do some research and find out what happenned with this... it sounds like an isolated case of contamination like what happened in 1989...

i don't think it was an isolated case JB
the contaminant was found in 6 different brands of 5-htp.
it's a bit scary because i actually experienced those symptoms over the weekend, but they could have been caused by a number of things.
something to keep in mind though.
[This message has been edited by j_swift (edited 03 July 2000).]

http://www.5htpdirect.com/5htpiherb.html
If you follow that link they specifically say :
".... In addition to the usual analytical methods of identification and assay (TLC, perchloric assay), we have developed appropriate HPLC methods to detect and quantify the potential impurities, especially those described as the potential contaminants associated with the development of EMS (Articles published in Natural Medicine by Mayo Clinic scientists and in the Journal of Rheumatology, 1994, 21(22) 2261).
These methods are routinely performed on all our production batches and guarantee that our products are free of "Peak X"."

thanks for the link Doc, thats where I got mine from - eact same stuff too. very comforting
------------------
"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, doesn't try it on" - Billy Connolly

ok i tracked down a press release from the Mayo Clinic about this:
Mayo Clinic researchers have found a potentially harmful contaminant in samples of 5-Hydroxy-L-Tryptophan available over the counter. We are not currently aware of any illnesses that have resulted from consumption of this product. However, this contaminant has been linked to some past incidents of an illness called eosinophilia myalgia syndrome (EMS). For this reason, researchers would urge caution in consuming this product. High doses should be avoided.
The levels of the contaminant in these products are not high. But the worry is that if people take high doses of this product, they may end up ingesting high levels of
the contaminant and get sick.
EMS manifests itself in a wide variety of ways, including fatigue, muscle pain and numbness and tingling. The one sure sign of the illness is elevated levels of eosinophils, a type of white blood cell. A blood test will detect this. If someone is concerned about whether they have this problem, they should see their doctor.
http://www.mayo.edu/news/5HTP/Users.html
iHerb say:
According to the Mayo Clinic's report, the levels of peak x found in the six samples "were only a fraction (between 3 and 15 percent) of the level that caused the illness in the earlier incident". And that the consumption of 300 to 900 mg of 5-htp per day "could bring the consumption level of peak x to levels associated with problems in the past".
Put it simply, as with any other dietary supplements, too much of 5-htp is not good. Should you take 5-htp, please do not take more than the recommeded dosage of 100-200 mg. per day.
http://store.yahoo.com/iherb/5htppick.html
but i think this is old as their info on the page where you actually buy the 5htp says this:
(which i just noticed DoC had already posted but ah well its got one extra line
smile.gif
)
Following is excerpted from a 65 page booklet provided to us by the German manufacturer of the 5-HTP used in this formulation:
".... In addition to the usual analytical methods of identification and assay (TLC, perchloric assay), we have developed appropriate HPLC methods to detect and quantify the potential impurities, especially those described as the potential contaminants associated with the development of EMS (Articles published in Natural Medicine by Mayo Clinic scientists and in the Journal of Rheumatology, 1994, 21(22) 2261).
These methods are routinely performed on all our production batches and guarantee that our products are free of "Peak X"."
http://store.yahoo.com/iherb/5htpiherb.html
[This message has been edited by johnboy (edited 03 July 2000).]