Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film: The Motorcycle Diaries / Diarios de motocicleta

rate this movie

• [IMG]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/IMG]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [IMG]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/IMG]

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • [IMG]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i1

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • [IMG]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i1

Votes: 15 57.7%

• Total voters

Sparky

Bluelighter
FILM: The Motorcycle Diaries

Seen this last week and I was really impressed. The film centres around the young Che Guevara and his friend as they set out on a trip around South America on a mororcycle. They set off fresh faced, young and ready to have some fun. The first half of the film was really funny with some hilarious moments but as Che and his compadre start to learn about what's been happening to the indigenous people of their continent the film starts becoming more gritty as they become disillusioned with what's happening.

Some of the scenery was breathtaking in this movie, truly beautiful. Certainly the best film I've seen so far this year.

^
I deleted my thread and just putting it here upon sparky's request.

Behind 'The Motorcycle Diaries': Gael García Bernal On Portraying The Young Che Gueva

A confused and adventurous 23-year-old medical student yields to his thirst for life, grabs a friend, climbs onto a motorcycle and zooms across the continent in hope of answering life's big questions (or at least finding some kicks along the way).

It's not Jack Kerouac, or even the cast of "Road Trip"; it's revolutionary theorist Ernesto "Che" Guevara De la Serna, long before he helped to lead the guerrilla war against Cuban dictator Fulgencio Batista and long before he became an enduring revolutionary icon. That is the Guevara that filmmakers hoped to capture in "The Motorcycle Diaries": a young man waking up to the world, and to himself.

Capturing this side of Guevara is a daunting task, and while Gael García Bernal — the man who stepped into the role — has already received critical acclaim, the actor still has reservations. "There was never a point where I felt ... that I really had it," Bernal admitted about his portrayal of the revolutionary Latin American icon.

He may be the only one. The film received standing ovations at both the Sundance and Toronto Film Festivals. "The Motorcycle Diaries" finds Che in 1952 about to embark on an eight-month road trip (covering more than 8,000 miles) throughout South America with his friend, 29-year old Alberto Granado (played by Rodrigo De la Serna). The film's title, "The Motorcycle Diaries" comes from both their method of transportation — a 1939 Norton 500 — and the book that served as the script's source material: Each of the men kept a diary about their travels.

Director Walter Salles ("Central Station") was already a fan of the published diaries, and his first mission was to stay true to Guevara's South American roots and make this an entirely Argentine production, selecting only local actors for each country visited. He did make one big exception in casting Che himself, since Bernal is Mexican. But according to Salles, Bernal was the only choice. "Gael is the real thing. He's not only the most visceral actor of his generation, he may be one of the very brightest guys I've ever met."

"It's really hard to play someone like Che Guevara — it's a big responsibility and no one else could have done it," De la Serna added.

De la Serna — a successful Argentine actor — makes his international film debut in "Diaries," and fully committed himself to playing Granado, the lesser-known half of the duo. "I read the diary he wrote during the trip, it was like a bible for me," the actor said.

"[De la Serna is] fantastic, a fantastic actor," Salles gushed. "He also understood Alberto's body language and little by little he started to transform himself in and out of the set. [Granado] has an extraordinary appetite for life." An appetite that Rodrigo found himself sharing — literally. "I gained 25 pounds," De la Serna groaned. Coincidentally, it was only after he was cast as Alberto Granado that Salles found out De la Serna is Che's real-life second cousin.

Once the duo was cast, preparations began and the actors and crew soon threw themselves into the political and social climates of that time. "I learned to dance tango, mambo, studied a lot about Latin America from the '50s, learned about the Incan empire — we studied a lot," De la Serna recalled.

"And [we were] preparing physically with the motorcycles," Bernal added. "[We were] reading what they were reading at the time, from Faulkner to Camus to Sartre, and then listening to music that they were listening to. [We met] Alberto Granado, speaking endless hours with him and a bottle of rum in front."

Once they felt sufficiently well-versed, filming began. Salles had an ambitious — and slightly grueling — schedule planned: 30 locations in South America, including Argentina, Chile and Peru, in just under three months. Miraculously, they were able to do it, shooting not only in the chronological order of the original journey, but also the actual locations.

"We covered the literal ground," Salles laughed, "from the beginning to the end. South America is pretty much the last frontier still, thus allowing you to place the camera in places like Patagonia or the Atacama desert and still have the impression that no one has been there before you arrived."

Fortunately, they managed to find time during their accelerated shooting schedule to bring a very special guest to the set. "We had the opportunity to have Alberto Granado himself. Now he's an 83-year-young man with a fantastic memory," Salles said. "The whole last part on the Amazon, he was the first one to arrive on the set. We had a one-hour boat journey. He was the first to get on the boat, and the last one to come back, singing tangos on the way back. He knows approximately 500 tangos, so we never ran out of new songs."

"I was lucky to meet him, that's when I realized the magnitude of this man," De la Serna said. "He was incredible to know. He was always there to relax me, to calm me down, but it was also hard because this man is going to watch the movie. I'm playing him during the most important period of his life."

Bernal also had his share of quality time with Granado, and was able to get valuable advice on playing not only Che the icon — but more importantly, the Che who was Granado's best friend. "In one scene, [Granado] came over and said, 'Don't try to copy him, don't try to imitate him ... use your own voice. Trust your own voice because he was only a 23-year-old Latin American, and that's what you are. That's all that you are, as well — so trust that you have the same truth, in a way.' And it sounds romantic, but there is a very rational and very practical truth behind it, which is that as young adults we are all in the search for identity."

Obviously, the filmmakers are hoping that the universality of Che's journey – both his internal and external explorations – resonates with audiences and that they will come to embrace him not as a political icon but rather as a young man making sense of himself and his world. "This movie humanizes the figure of Che Guevara, brings him back to earth," De la Serna explained. "It brings him back to the people. It's not a movie with a political line or political dogmas. It's simply a journey that two young men took in search of their identity. It's a journey that every person has to take to see where their place is."

"Instead of finding the answer inside, instead of finding your identity inside, you go outside and you get lost and therefore you find yourself," Bernal summarized. "I mean, it's kind of a cliché, but it works."
http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1491411/09242004/story.jhtml

One of the best I've seen this year. Great performances by Gael Garcia Bernal and Rodrigo De la Serna in the lead roles.

Diarios de motocicleta

I just went to see this.

I also gave the finger to some guy who made some sort of anti-Castro commentary at the end. I almost tried to start a brawl. Oh well.

Anyway, I thought they did a great job of filming it, although it dragged a bit near the end and they probably spent a bit too much time at the leper colony.

Anyway, I give it 3.5 thumbs up, you may want to see it even if you're not a Godless commie. (Or apparently a murderer like Castro.)

Sorry I didn't see the older thread.

Last edited:
i thought this was good.

relied too much on some really poignant moments whilst the narrative itself was dragging, and a bit too much on stunning views rather than the cinematography itself, but it was definitely interesting and worthwhile.

gael garcia bernal is a superb actor too, and proves he can do a lot more than what he showed in y tu mama tambien; this is a really good performance.

no idea why they insisted on having the comic relief sidekick best mate though - of course he provided some really amusing moments, but the film didn't need such a stereotype.

liked it :)

loved it - i loved its thoughtfulness and the wonderful sense of wanderlust that guided it

A very well presented film, it conveyed they grit without getting too bogged down in despair.

I would very much like to see a film about the rest of his life in the same style.

seeing the selfless side of che made me realize most people wearing his shirt dont know the first thing about beans...
The movie def changed the way I view "rebels".

onetwothreefour said:

no idea why they insisted on having the comic relief sidekick best mate though - of course he provided some really amusing moments, but the film didn't need such a stereotype.

liked it :)

Umm.. it's a true story based off his actual diaries.. not that i've read the diaries but i would guess they were trying to be accurate as possible...

i will agree that too much time was spent on certain scenes and too much time was spent in the leper colony...

It was a great movie, although it romanticized Che a little much, in my opinion. In the end, it says that Che was "murdered" with the support of the CIA. It neglects to mention the 156 people that Che himself murdered while he ran La Cabana.

http://canf.org/2005/1es/historia/2005-jun-01-documented-victims-of-che-guevara.htm

Still, I find it perfectly plausible that Che was once an idealistic young thinker who meant to better the world (As portrayed in the Motorcycle Diaries), who unfortunately became corrupt in his struggle.

Just watched this last night and found it quite good. I felt the humorous bits were completely necessary to offset the depressing look a the indiginous people they came across whilst traveling.

IAmJacksUserName said:
It was a great movie, although it romanticized Che a little much, in my opinion. In the end, it says that Che was "murdered" with the support of the CIA. It neglects to mention the 156 people that Che himself murdered while he ran La Cabana.

http://canf.org/2005/1es/historia/2005-jun-01-documented-victims-of-che-guevara.htm

Still, I find it perfectly plausible that Che was once an idealistic young thinker who meant to better the world (As portrayed in the Motorcycle Diaries), who unfortunately became corrupt in his struggle.

Only got round to seeing this film this week and I really, really enjoyed it. I didn't feel it romanticised Che Guevara at all. I had been expecting the film to heavily lean towards Che's future politics but it didn't at all. It concentrated on two mens journey into the unknown for discovery and adventure. For anybody who has travelled they'll know that excitement of an open road ahead of you with no plans or ideas of where you will end up next..

I haven't read the book yet so I can't comment on how they changed the sidekick, Alberto Granado, but the film also spent time on his life, the decisions he made to leave Che and go to work as a biochemist (maybe this just struck a chord with me as I'm a biochemist too :D).

So, as a film about South American travel I thought it was outstanding and the relative lack of politics or bias in the film made me enjoy it all the more. I agree the leper colony bit dragged on a bit too long but the speech he gave to the workers and subsequent swimming across the amazon (?) were vital bits to the film..

4 stars :)

10,562 stars, on account of Gael Garcia Bernal being in it.

I thought it was an accessible yet thoughtful movie. Memorable, to say the least.

But Oh Lord...

8.jpg

^^You should watch Amores Perros. You'd probably get cardiac arrest watching Gael in it, although the dog fighting scenes might not be your vegan ally. Not for the faint of heart and boy do I love it.

amoresperros.jpg