Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Prince Charles says legalize ecstasy?

johnboy

Bluelight Crew
http://www.sfbg.com/AandE/34/34/erroneous.html
in the last paragraph Genesis P. Orridge of Psychic TV quotes Prince Charles as saying that e should be legalised... anyone know anything about this?
this article has a good interview with Emanuel form Dancesafe, debunking the whole 60 Minutes segment...
------------------
"i think i'll stick to drugs to get me thru the long, dark night of late-capitalism..."
Irvine Welsh

Wish i could confirm or deny this, but can't.
hmm, pretty funny, complete opposite reactions from the US government and the British Parliment.
Quote from Article (can't figure out that UBB stuff)
But the war on drugs is rapidly escalating in Congress. A new bill, the Methamphetamine Anti-Proliferation Act (H.R. 2987), threatens First and Fourth Amendment rights by creating restrictions on the dissemination of drug-related information on the Internet and by allowing government agents to enter a person's home or business with a warrant, search through his or her computer, and take any files without telling him or her. The government can order any Web site to be shut down without due process or prior notification of the owner, a clear violation of free speech rights.
and i used to be proud to be 1/2 american!
[This message has been edited by CrazyAustralian (edited 24 May 2000).]

Nice piece of journalism that. Well dug up Johnboy. Its relieving to hear that our brains aren't gonna be as fucked up as the media tells everyone, well at least from a source besides users. As for the second half of the article, we aren't in America and Prince Charles wants E legalised cos his heir apparent sociates in 'drug circles'. Well thats me theory anyway.
------------------
Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic.

Hmm, quite interesting. If Britain can get their act together, we may all just get our Soma yet (somebody will mix the mdma with an anti-neurotoxicity agent if it gets legalised). Unfortunately, with the yanks leading the way in the race to form a total police state I don't think it'll happen too soon.
As for our brains being fucked up, yes or no, I'm still sitting on the fence & disbelieving most of what I hear from both sides. A lot of the claims "for" ecstasy are as biased (and blind) as those against, IMHO. I do believe that it is damaging our brain in the short term, but none of the studies claiming massive damage have convinced me that long term effects for a "normal" user will be anything to spit at. The most reasonable ideas I have heard that denounce any serious long term effects are: that the brain regenerates itself & as such any damage through "normal" use will be reversed after a period of abstinence; an opinion I read on dancesite from a respected neurologist philosophising on the idea of whether this damage & susequent renegeration was bad anyway (ie. the brain grows back differently, but that is not necessarily a bad thing); and also the point that many high profile long term ecstasy users are just as happy, if not moreso, than the rest of the population.
Although we believe what we want to hear in the end I suppose.
My personal experience is that the short term memory & quicker thinking come back after a break. I still haven't returned to "ground zero" yet, but that'll come in time, I'm sure.
wink.gif

Ben.
------------------
Procrastination is good for the soul.

Just so you guys know, SFBG.com is the website for the San Francisco Bay Guardian, a liberal weekly arts and events newspaper similar to the Village Voice or the LA Weekly. I was wondering about the Prince Charles quote myself.

Perhaps Prince Charles' alledged statement had something to do with the "rave" Prince William (I think...whichever son is the oldest) threw for his birthday party. Better to legalize than have the Royals and their friends tossed in prison, eh?
wink.gif

------------------
Entropy requires no maintenance. -- Robert Anton Wilson

Can you imagine if it came down to that? Prince William caught completely red-handed by the press or what-have-you? I think it could only do good things....
Fuzzy

Please tell me you didn't believe this! Honestly, listening to the insane dribblings of someone who actually associates themselves with an enterprise called "Psychic TV" - I might have expected that from the Americans (they don't come in here and read this do they?) but I expected better from you Aussies.................
Seriously, don't expect Tony Blair's Labour Government to make any policy decisions based on logic or common sense when it can all be done by predicting the voting public's likely reactions (moral hysteria in the case of anything drug related - won't somebody PLEASE think of the CHILDREN? etc, etc). This is one of the few cases of the media reporting inventive propoganda by the pro-legalisation movement. I've explained how this came about already in the Chill Out Room - this whole thread is really good to read if you haven't seen it already, it goes to show that just occasionally hysteria can be converted into rational discussion if you avoid name calling and emotional outbursts. The Prince Charles/parliament fantasy is dealt with right at the end of page 2. www.bluelight.ru/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000243.html
[This message has been edited by paddyboy (edited 28 May 2000).]

I disagree with the fact that *if* he did say it, it was on the grounds of wanting to not be in the red with the law. Most of us don't get caught as users (smart ones anyway), so why should they unless they want to deal? Besides, you don't think Kerry Packer & the Logie socialites don't get a bit of coke up their nose every few weeks?
------------------
Winners don't do drugs ...They just sell them.

It was kind of a joke.
smile.gif

------------------
Home of the High Energy Cheese Lab.