Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

more 5-htp ?

twoyoungtocare

Bluelighter
I have looked in the various faq's re:5-htp and do not seem to be able to find the answer to my question.
Does 5-Htp bring on the night terrors? I started taking st johns wort for various reasons and it seemed to bring a slight change of mood , but when combined w/ a weekend of substance it made me freak out to say the least. Did i hear that? what did i just see? etc etc. I thought it must have been me but a few peeps have said that they also experienced similiar on SJW.
Does 5-htp have a similiar effect? i have only heard its praises ........
-eggman

are you talking about vivid dreams ?
if you are, i think you do get them when you take 5-htp.
the reason i say i think is cause i cant really remember who told me, or when. but i do remember someone telling me of really long lasting and realistic dreams after taking 5-htp.
------------------
Only users lose drugs!

i dont know a lot about St Johns Wort, but my sis-in-law did a big research thing on it a while back so i'll find out.
the impression i get (and i could be wrong here) is that St Johns Wort acts as an SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) which basically makes serotonin stay around longer. this is very different to 5HTP which just helps i the productio of serotonin.
dont take any of this as gospel till i do a bit more research. basically i think they work o the brain in entirely different ways.
and altho i have heard a few stories similar to yours about SJW i have heard less about 5htp even though i know of far more people using 5htp. all anecdotal evidence i know...

I heard that St. John's Wort helps the production of 5HT just 5HT-P. But like you, Im not completely sure.
The other natural product high in 5HT is bananas! Yeah, eat a shitload of queensland's finest before you roll, and it may help. I dont like bananas tho, so Ive never tried this.
And about the night-time terrors, I have not heard of a link between high serotonin and anxiety... But you do get vivid dreams on E, maybe if they are good ones or bad just depends on your state of mind at the time.
I did hear that nicotine produces vivid dreams. I have a friend who puts on 2 nicotine patches then goes to bed - he loves it!
SpankY

i find it amazing how many things concerning drugs and our daily life are directly attributed to neurotransmitters in the brain.
Serotonin as we know is responsible for mood/emotions, body temperature control (we know how MDMA effects these
smile.gif
)) , sleep (5-HTP is given to people who have trouble sleeping etc) and from what i understand serotonin has an effect on how our mind "thinks" while we r alseep, i.e dreams.
So my take is that 5-HTP causes serotonin production in the brain to go into overdrive esp while sleeping and that activity has an effect on the number and clarity of our dreams.
Does it make more sense if i told u that psychadelics most notably LSD cause those incredible hallucinatons by effecting serotonin as well (in ways different to MDMA obviously). Hmm wouldn't we agree that tripping has a correlation/parallel to dreaming, and serotonin is the transmitter responsible for both of these, its interesting how it all fits together.
Serotonin effects our sleep and dreams, 5-HTP greatly effects our serotonin levels, hence it follows that 5-HTP effects our dreams because of its impact on serotonin. While its a natural supplement i think u would find its remarkable effect is "unnatural" (the speed and amount of serotonin which can be produced could never be attained through the normal avenue of tryptophan from the diet)
although extremely important to us rollers.