Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

creative literature on the scene

BuckE

Bluelighter
does anybody know of any good creative novels/short stories relating to the rave and ecstasy scene? i've kept an eye and an eye open but haven't heard of any, except for the recent films Human Traffic and Go. one of my very favourite novels is Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and i love reading "druggie" stuff.
toodelloo.
BuckE
"Ah, finally, a little quiet time to read some of my old favourites. Honey Roasted Peanuts. Ingredients: salt, artificial honey roasting agents, pressed peanut sweepings." - Homer Simpson

"disco bicuits" and "disco 2000", two collections of short stories about stuff dear to our hearts...
also "the ecstacy club" by douglas rushkoff
i've got a huge amount of books on drug culture i could list if you, or anyone else is interested.

johnboy: absolutely, please do if you wouldn't mind. that way i can go to a public library (haven't been in one of them for years) and get a whole stack. you could also mark your fav. ones. i also noticed your paraphrasing of dr. johnson's quote.

sure i was actually thinking of starting thread like this anyway... i was going to call it something dumb like "johnboy's book club"
wink.gif
well i think creative lit on the scene is a much better title...
my fave book at the moment is "artificial paradises" a drug reader, published by penguin. it would have to be the best reader on drugs i have ever seen. everything from ancient islamic texts on hashish to tim learys gibbbering to fatastic reefer madness propoganda. look out for a piece im goig to post here from a british newspaper in the 50s linking reefer and repetitive beats to parts of the primitive brain...
i'll post more title when i get home and can see my bookshelf
oh and the quote, yeah its hunter thompsons paraphrasing. i just love the sample of thompson himself drawling it thats at the start of the spoken word album of "fear and loathing"... right at the end you here him striking a match and stoking a hash pipe i swear...
------------------
.... he who makes a beast of himself, rids himself of the pain of being a man...

Ok ,these two books are really easy to read after a while.....just takes a bit of time getting used to all the slang terms/phrases.
Ecstacy - Irvine Welsh
The Acid House - Irvine Welsh
Both are quite good collections of different stories of modern culture (with the former being mainly concerned w/ E and its effect on peoples lives)

all time classic drug sci-fi book:
A Scanner Darkly by Phillip K Dick
seriously twisted and paranoid story of a **** who ends up schizoid and busts himself...
Phillip K Dick also wrote "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep" the book that Blade Runner was based on.
He used a hell of a lot of drugs in the sixties and slowly went mad. the interesting part about it all is that you can watch his descent into madness by reading his books in sequence. his "VALIS" books towards the end are about how he felt he was being contacted by an alien intelligence living in a vast satelitte orbitting the earth. this stuff walks a very fine line betwen fiction and fact for him.
but a scanner darkkly would have to be what i'd consider required reading...

Not quite related to the rave scene but if you smoke pot too, anything by Jack Kerouac is a good read. Reading ( or trying to read) Kafka's works while on acid can be pretty dramatic. Especially Metamorphosis.
Personally, a good book is a good book, regardless drug-related or not. Then again reading say "Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man" or "Forrest Gump" when you're in the groove probably won't cut it eh?
------------------
Like a flood,Thru my blood;
In my vein,To my brain;
Feel it coursing right thru me;
Oh my GOD its ECSTASY!

Syke: I reckon Kerouac is brilliant even if you don't smoke pot & I read on a psychedelics faq or something that some people claim they can't read/understand Joyce unless they are tripping.
smile.gif

Weird, anyway..my recomendation apart from stuff already listed would have to be "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" by Tom Wolfe, which to me painted a picture of early rave culture, except instead of DJs they had the Grateful Dead.
smile.gif
William Burroughs novels are nice too, Junky, Naked Lunch, etc.
There is also some good personal storie on the net. http://paranoia.lycaeum.org/stories/ http://www.lycaeum.org/drugs/trip.report/
------------------
"I be the fire only Marley could catch."

How about 'High Society'...? It's a compilation of real life stories and anecdotes concerning the British rave scene. It deals with the good and the bad times and is so funny
smile.gif

Speaking of which (and being a writer myself), I was planning on creating a novel of sorts with this idea in mind. Of course I will be asking for contributions from all you bluelighters! So get your stories and reminescents ready. I'll let you know where and when to submit to me! hehehe...

for local flavor, there's "Warp Drive" - an anthology of Australian drug stories.

i've exhausted all these ideas from my local library. unfortunately not many to be found.
frown.gif
will vouch for "the ecstasy club" - douglas rushkoff. that was an awesome read.
so i thought i'd dig this thread up and bump it to see if i could spark any other thoughts from u peeps.
jb - b stoked if you could post that list you spoke of earlier....
smile.gif

anjele - do you have an author for "high society"?? i couldn't locate it on title alone.
oh yeah and mods, mayb you could move this over to social?? thought i might get a better response over there now.
cheers
tony
smile.gif

------------------
if the journey's fun, it's well worth taking.
[This message has been edited by fat tony (edited 11 October 2000).]

Try the Book of E by Push and Mireille Silcott, ISBN 0711975191
A good informative read, best one ive seen so far

i thought i'd bring back this lil' thread to plug irvene welsh's recent book 'FILTH,' a beautifully snarling first person perspective of a scottish cop who likes his charlie. read it from front to back and it gives the impression similar to that of being hit by a semi trailer.
on the matter of charlie respresentations :)P), the film Hurly Burly with Sean Penn, Kevin Spacey and Meg Ryan is fucking great. watch sean penn pace and snarl and snort and shout for the duration of the film and you'll swear that the charlie he sniffs is very real indeed. and for a filmmaker, thats a very good thing.
have fun.
BuckE
"God damn mesculine, couldn't they make it a little less pure?"

Intoxication - an anthology of stimulant-based writing.
Edited by Toni Davidson & Jeff Noon.
Pub: Serpent's Tail - ISBN: 185242558X
Jeff Noon writes some great novels & short stories that offer a look into the future of rave/drug culture. Vurt (Pub: Pan - ISBN: 0330338811) is my favourite.
Marabou Stork Nightmares is a must read for any Irvine Welsh fan. One of his lesser-known works but, in my opinion, the best
smile.gif

Hehe, great topic BuckE, and thanks for the excellent replies fellas. I've always thought there should be a 'bluelight bookclub' with a link up the top (another one of my plans for BL once exams are finished).
Farewell and keep them coming
smile.gif

CA
wink.gif

not a book.. not a movie..just something a friend sent to me...
RAVER'S MANIFESTO
OUR EMOTIONAL STATE OF CHOICE IS ECSTASY. OUR NOURISHMENT OF CHOICE IS LOVE. OUR ADDICTION OF CHOICE IS TECHNOLOGY. OUR RELIGION OF CHOICE IS MUSIC. OUR SOCIETY OF CHOICE IS UTOPIAN, THOUGH WE KNOW IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.
YOU MAY HATE US.
YOU MAY DISMISS US. YOU MAY MISUNDERSTAND US. YOU MAY BE UNAWARE OF OUR EXISTENCE. WE CAN ONLY HOPE YOU DO NOT CARE TO JUDGE US,
BECAUSE WE WOULD NEVER JUDGE YOU.
WE ARE NOT CRIMINALS. WE ARE NOT DISILLUSIONED. WE ARE NOT DRUG ADDICTS. WE ARE NOT NAIVE CHILDREN. WE ARE ON MASSIVE, GLOBAL, TRIBAL VILLAGE THAT TRANSCENDS MAN-MADE LAW, PHYSICAL GEOGRAPHY, AND TIME ITSELF. WE ARE THE MASSIVE. ONE MASSIVE.
WE WERE FIRST DRAWN BY THE SOUND. FROM FAR AWAY, THE THUNDEROUS, MUFFLED, ECHOING BEAT WAS COMPARABLE TO A MOTHER'S HEART SOOTHING A CHILD IN HER WOMB OF CONCRETE, STEEL, AND ELECTRICAL WIRING. WE WERE DRAWN BACK INTO THIS WOMB,AND THERE, IN THE HEAT, DAMPNESS, AND DARKNESS OF IT, WE CAME TO ACCEPT THAT WE ARE ALL EQUAL. NOT ONLY TO THE DARKNESS, AND TO OURSELVES, BUT TO THE VERY MUSIC SLAMMING INTO US AND PASSING THROUGH OUR SOULS:
WE ARE ALL EQUAL. AND SOMEWHERE AROUND 35Hz WE COULD FEEL THE HAND OF GOD AT OUR BACKS, PUSHING US FORWARD, PUSHING US TO PUSH OURSELVES TO STRENGTHEN OUR MINDS, OUR BODIES,AND OUR SPIRITS. PUSHING US TO TURN TO THE PERSON BESIDE US TO JOIN HANDS AND UPLIFT THEM BY SHARING THE UNCONTROLLABE JOY WE FELT FROM CREATING THIS MAGICAL BUBBLE THAT CAN, FOR ONE EVENING, PROTECT US FROM THE HORRORS, ATROCITIES, AND POLLUTION OF THE OUTSIDE WORLD.
IT IS IN THAT VERY INSTANT, WITH THESE INITIAL REALIZATIONS THAT EACH OF US WAS TRULY BORN. WE CONTINUE TO PACK OUR BODIES INTO CLUBS, OR WAREHOUSES, OR BUILDINGS YOU'VE ABANDONED AND LEFT FOR NAUGHT,AND WE BRING THEM TO LIFE FOR ONE NIGHT. STRONG, THROBBING, VIBRANT LIFE IN ITS PUREST, MOST INTENSE, MOST HEDONISTIC FORM. IN THESE MAKESHIFT SPACES, WE SEEK TO SHED OURSELVES OF THE BURDEN OF UNCERTAINTY FOR A FUTURE YOU HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO STABILIZE AND SECURE FOR US.
WE SEEK TO RELINQUISH OUR INHIBITIONS, AND FREE OUSELVES FROM THE SHACKLES AND RESTRAINTS YOU'VE PUT ON US FOR YOUR OWN PEACE OF MIND. WE SEEK TO RE-WRITE THE
PROGRAMMING THAT YOU HAVE TRIED TO INDOCTRINATE US WITH SINCE THE MOMENT WE WERE BORN. PROGRAMMING THAT TELLS US TO HATE, THAT TELLS US TO JUDGE, THAT TELLS
US TO STUFF OURSELVES INTO THE NEAREST AND MOST CONVENIENT PIGEON HOLE POSSIBLE. PROGRAMMING THAT EVEN TELLS US TO CLIMB LADDERS FOR YOU, JUMP THROUGH HOOPS, AND RUN THROUGH MAZES AND ON HAMSTER WHEELS. PROGRAMMING THAT TELLS US TO EAT FROM THE SHINY SILVER SPOON YOU ARE TRYING TO FEED US WITH, INSTEAD OF NOURISH OURSELVES WITH OUR OWN CAPABLE HANDS. PRGRAMMING THAT TELLS US TO CLOSE OUR MINDS, INSTEAD OF OPEN THEM.
UNTIL THE SUN RISES TO BURN OUR EYES BY REVEALING THE DISTOPIAN REALITY OF A WORLD YOU'VE CREATED FOR US, WE DANCE FIERCELY WITH OUR BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN CELEBRATION OF OUR LIFE, OF OUR CULTURE, AND OF THE VALUES WE BELIEVE IN:
PEACE, LOVE, FREEDOM,TOLERANCE,UNITY, HARMONY,RESPONSIBILITY AND RESPECT.
OUR ENEMY OF CHOICE IS IGNORANCE. OUR WEAPON OF CHOICE IS INFORMATION. OUR
CRIME OF CHOICE IS BREAKING AND CHALLENGING WHATEVER LAWS YOU FEEL YOU NEED TO PUT IN PLACE TO STOP US FROM CELEBRATING OUR EXISTENCE. BUT KNOW THAT WHILE YOU MAY SHUT DOWN ANY GIVEN PARTY, ON ANY GIVEN NIGHT, IN ANY GIVEN CITY, IN ANY GIVEN COUNTRY OR CONTINENT ON THIS BEAUTIFUL PLANET,
YOU CAN NEVER SHUT DOWN THE ENTIRE PARTY. YOU DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO THAT SWITCH, NO MATTER WHAT YOU MAY THINK. THE MUSIC WILL NEVER STOP. THE HEARTBEAT WILL NEVER FADE. THE PARTY WILL NEVER END...
I AM A RAVER, AND THIS IS MY MANIFESTO.

wow, benji, i can't read all of that in one go...no offense, but what a load of bullocks. generalisation after generalisation... :p
"Don't follow leaders, so watch your parking meters.."

aah, good ol "us and them"
bullocks, sorry benji. Its been around for bloody ages, and I hate it, and I hate what it stands for.
Fireal: I'm about 3 pages from finishing Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe. What a book!! So well captured, and I'm guessing its right up your alley!!!

LOL - sorry I keep reading the word "bullocks" and envisioning a stampede of big cows... I guess if you mean "bullocks droppings" as in bullshit, then you're right on. But, I think people usually say "bollocks", don't they?
BigTrancer
wink.gif

------------------
I don't want to sound paranoid, but just consider how much of what you're writing could help send you to Jail.