PDA

View Full Version : Cymbalta Recreational?

Prelude2TragedyII
12-09-2004, 00:58
I just got a new medicine from my psychiatrist called cymbalta, wondering if anyone knows anything about it, I tried looking info up on it, couldn't find anything, its a really new pill, my psychiatrist said it was supposed to be ''the new prozak'' anyways, thankyou for your help...

deviate
12-09-2004, 01:40
not likely recreational. what did he prescribe it for?

C10H12N20
12-09-2004, 01:51
I have been following Cymbalta, since I follow Eli Lilly's stock. It is supposed to be their next Prozac and they are really counting on it to be their big growth driver in competition in the next generation market (SNRI).

SNRI means that it works both on your serotonin and norepinephrine system, basically meaning that in addition to feeling good it gives you more energy. Eli Lilly is pitching it as a drug that not only treats depression but also pain, so they had it approved for treating more than just depression. I think it definitely has more potential for recreational use than Prozac (which in my mind has no potential whatsoever) and people that tried it compare it to Straterra, but I haven't tried it so i cant say anything. The only thing I know is that SSRIs like Prozac can be a real drag to take...

www.cymbalta.com <----- here is their website

Prelude2TragedyII
12-09-2004, 03:34
This medicine does work for my depression, but it doesnt give me more energy, it makes me tired and drowsy all the time ,at night I will be so tired i feel like I could lay in bed and passout, but when I get in bed around 9:00-10:00 pm, I usually roll around untill 2:00-3:00 a.m. and I dont know if its because of the medicine, It didnt have difficulty sleeping as a sideffect I dont think..

MattPD
12-09-2004, 03:50
Anti-depressants are not recreational, they may make you feel fucked up, but it's likely not in a real good way.

Don't take antidepressants to get high, please. K?

Take them for depression, that is all you should take them for.

SacredNaCl
12-09-2004, 20:01
Sounds like a little bit of drug induced agitation to me, Prelude.

The SSRI and SNRI's do have some stimulant properties, which is why people get aggitated, get ataxia, go manic, or mildly manic, cause difficulty sleeping, even brief psychotic episodes. They can do some rather bad things to your behavior in that state, keep an eye on it, that is predictive of getting a mild form of mania from them.

Vaya
13-09-2004, 04:24
*cringes*

dbighead2
14-09-2004, 02:22
^yeah man for real.

Don't take SSRI's recreationally....thats just stupid

hood
11-08-2008, 21:44
This medicine does work for my depression, but it doesnt give me more energy, it makes me tired and drowsy all the time ,at night I will be so tired i feel like I could lay in bed and passout, but when I get in bed around 9:00-10:00 pm, I usually roll around untill 2:00-3:00 a.m. and I dont know if its because of the medicine, It didnt have difficulty sleeping as a sideffect I dont think..

I concur. I certainly have way less energy than when I started Cymbalta. Unfortunately despite when I take the pills, it seems to mostly make me tired during the day. I get up late and take more naps and I think it is because of Cymbalta. Of course maybe mixing cannabis with it is a contributing factor but there is not enough pain relief to make it worth the price and the drowsiness. If it gave me energy, it would be great!! It also doesn't give me insomnia. It works for dull pain like aches and joint pain and burning and tingling in that it makes the discomfort much more tolerable than normal but it will not help with breakthrough pain or acute pain like I am currently experiencing in my low back.

By the way, I am am up to 90mg a day.

paranoid android
11-08-2008, 22:19
Not recreational at all. No anti-depressants are atleast none of the ones commonly used at all.

I wonder how cymbalta would stack up against a tricyclic such as amitriptyline for treating neuropathic pain disorders? Amitriptyline worked quite well for me until it crapped out.

Amitriptyline is similar to cymbalta actually because they are both snri's. Amitriptyline just has anti-cholinergic properties attached to it and thus some people will hate it more. I hated amitriptyline much less then effexor which is another snri commonly used today but i don't think effexor is pushed much for pain at all. Amitriptyline is also dirt cheap as opposed to really expensive for cymbalta.

K'd-OUT-in-AZ
12-08-2008, 00:39
No, antidepressants are not recreational. If you have real issues with depression and the medication is effective, within a couple of weeks you may temporarily feel high because for the first time in your life your actually feeling better (normal).

I've heard of really desperate high schoolers taking Amitriptyline to get high because it made them 'drowsy'.

Ham-milton
12-08-2008, 00:50
way to pull a lazarus.

K'd-OUT-in-AZ
12-08-2008, 01:56
Yes, in the field of psychology I like to think of myself as having knowledge comparable to Richard S. Lazarus.

Cane2theLeft
12-08-2008, 04:12
I wonder how cymbalta would stack up against a tricyclic such as amitriptyline for treating neuropathic pain disorders? Amitriptyline worked quite well for me until it crapped out.

Amitriptyline is similar to cymbalta actually because they are both snri's. Amitriptyline just has anti-cholinergic properties attached to it and thus some people will hate it more. I hated amitriptyline much less then effexor which is another snri commonly used today but i don't think effexor is pushed much for pain at all. Amitriptyline is also dirt cheap as opposed to really expensive for cymbalta.

I have compared NNT and NNH of basically all pharmacological pain treatments and I found this:

(NNT is the number needed to treat, or how many people need to be treated for 1 to achieve 50% pain relief, so the lower the number the more effective a pain reliever it is)

Across the various neuropathic pain conditions in which TCAs were used, NNT (95% confidence interval) ranged from 2.1 (1.8-2.6) to 3.1 (2.2-5.5); the combined NNT from 4 trials of SNRIs in painful polyneuropathy was 5.1 (3.9-7.4) Source (http://www.rmgh.net/news-room/newsletters/37-newsletters/397.html)

This lists NNT of tricyclics at 2-3 and all other sources I have list it at ~2.5 while SNRI's (cymbalta and effexor) are listed here at a mean of 5.1. To put this in perspective, for the same conditions oxycodone and morphine receive ~2.5, tramadol ~4 and pregabalin a little less than 4.

To the original question I don't see how cymbalta would produce any recreational effects.

paranoid android
12-08-2008, 13:45
I have compared NNT and NNH of basically all pharmacological pain treatments and I found this:

(NNT is the number needed to treat, or how many people need to be treated for 1 to achieve 50% pain relief, so the lower the number the more effective a pain reliever it is)

This lists NNT of tricyclics at 2-3 and all other sources I have list it at ~2.5 while SNRI's (cymbalta and effexor) are listed here at a mean of 5.1. To put this in perspective, for the same conditions oxycodone and morphine receive ~2.5, tramadol ~4 and pregabalin a little less than 4.

To the original question I don't see how cymbalta would produce any recreational effects.

So if im reading this right (and correct me if im wrong) tricyclics work better then cymbalta at treating these pain disorders. That is not surprising really. Im really surprised that they worked better then pregabalin though. I figured they would be equal more or less.

Cane2theLeft
12-08-2008, 19:42
^You are reading that right, if you have 10 people with neuropathic pain, 4 would benefit from tricyclics or opioids, 2.5 from lyrica and 2 from cymbalta.

This is precisely why the first line of treatment is tricyclics (also due to their relative side effect profiles). Doctors usually progress to anticonvulsants from there and then opioids. Generally drugs like cymbalta are only introduced for mild cases of chronic pain when depression is present and thought to be exacerbating the pain or is brought in as an adjunct to some of the aforementioned therapies. All of these studies however are only testing the analgesic response of single drug treatment and most pain management regimens involve polypharmacy combined with non-pharmacological pain management techniques as well.

Mantis28h
13-08-2008, 02:15
It doesn't do shit for me, not even treating depression. I have a beef with Eli Lilly anyways, but this drug is not only expensive as shit even with insurance but it doesn't do a fucking thing that venlafaxine or citalopram doesen't do.

Fuck Lilly.

TRPPNASS_DSCOMONKE
13-08-2008, 21:50
fucking no its not. fucking no. that is all.

vicoprophen
16-08-2008, 15:55
it works great for my restless leg syndrom, i dont think its done crap for my depression but has save my life cuz the ache and jerks from the rls almost made me go insane the jerks and aches have gone away if i stay on the med.ive noticed when stopping it, the rsl comes right back.I see no rec. value to this drug!!!!P.s this drug when i first started it made me talk in my sleep, shit i would hear myself talking and wake up im a very light sleeper,lol REALLY! used to freak me out!!

hood
06-10-2008, 04:13
After deciding to come off Cymbalta because it makes me too tired, I have been experiencing severe brain zaps, vertigo, and headaches. I may have to get some Prozac to taper off that way since it has a longer half-life but Cymbalta blows in my book. I feel like I could have done way more fun recreational drugs with less brain damage than this crap.

Mishey1968
06-10-2008, 04:44
OMG! I had the hardest time coming off cymbalta for depression...it helped but It felt like my brain was moving around with water inside like a strange swooshing....my dr. said he never heard anyone being weaned off cymbalta having problems and I had severe agitation and anxiety...finally I had to just be weaned off and go on a new anti depressant all to see if i still really need one.....and the cymbalta also gave me such severe night sweats that i had to take another medication to stop the sweating..........ugh!

neverstop
06-10-2008, 09:30
you don't wanna end up like this girl

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=65161

lol

bonaqua0403
06-10-2008, 10:16
I just got a new medicine from my psychiatrist called cymbalta, wondering if anyone knows anything about it, I tried looking info up on it, couldn't find anything, its a really new pill, my psychiatrist said it was supposed to be ''the new prozak'' anyways, thankyou for your help...
I was on Cymbalta for depression. The first few days I took it, it was almost like I was on E but a very very mellow version, I guess. I would yawn a lot and suck on my tongue. Also, I'd clench up and give myself a hug...hahaha.... but after a week or two of taking it, I just ended up getting super constipated and super sweaty. You wouldn't believe how sweaty it made me. The constipation was probably the worst though... maybe its too much info but seriously, i'd go once a week at the most.... I was also extremely nauseous to the point where I had to just lay down. (which, by the way, made me break into a sweat.) if you want to be a sweaty, constipated, nauseous, self-hugging mess, i'd say go for it. otherwise, there are plenty of other drugs out there that will actually give you a good time. I dont think Cymbalta will....

sunset117
06-10-2008, 11:54
No rec value, wasn't good for my "depression" when I took it... 2 time
loser... Nothing good except it will help with nerve pain

imadumbass
07-01-2009, 11:07
The US is petitioning the selling of this drug and they cant pull it fat enough as far as I am concerned.. ya you feel great on it, you glow and all that... but dont ever miss a dose or think you can ever come off it... I spent two weeks trying to rip my skin off because it felt like I had ants underneath. I had the WORST Brain shocks, I couldnt eat or sleep and all I did was cry... Two straight weeks. I was seconds away from finding some sort of rehab facility because I seriously thought I was going to kill myself if it didnt stop. Thank gawd my husband supported me through it. All this because I ran out on a weekend and missed two doses... Once I kicked in that kind of withdrawl I decided to ride it out and get the hell off it now because I dont want shit that does that to me in my body.

Obyron
07-01-2009, 20:14
^^ Other SNRIs and SSRIs aren't much better in this regard. I missed two doses of Citalopram (Celexa) and thought I was going to kill myself. I'm very seriously considering whether the positives outweigh the negatives.

There's not going to be an recreational value to Cymbalta.

monstanoodle
08-01-2009, 05:14
you don't wanna end up like this girl

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=65161

lol

Amitriptyline and weed fucked me up too to be honest.
Made me hallucinate 8( Think a panic attack agitated it also.. Was weird as cheese and jam, though not as tasty at all.

StonerHate
08-01-2009, 06:20
There's absolutely no recreational value involved whatsoever, and it was as effective as a sugar pill as far as my depression is concerned, as with every single other one of these so-called "medications".

caius
09-01-2009, 23:55
idk how this drug could be recreational.

for me, getting off of cymbalta resulted in weeks of suffering and doing nothing but sitting around feeling sick. it also made me sleep like a zombie while i was on it (i could easily sleep 12-14 hours per day).

if you need meds for depression, i would suggest trying to get something else and not starting cymbalta.

mrs_mia_wallace
10-01-2009, 02:30
cymbalta is in the same class as effexor anti-depresent wise i think... i was on effexor for five years, not by choice but that was how long it took me to be able to succesfully withdrawl from the fucking thing.... worse than opiate withdrawl. i'm on cymbalta right now (a month and a half) and i can already feel myself getting physicially addicted to it.
when i went on effexor, at first it was like doing mad speed or e and then it had no effect and i just couldn't leave bed if i didn't take it... cymbalta has done nothing for me whatsoever.
does anyone know if there are any lethal combinations with it however?

As@bove sobelow
10-01-2009, 05:26
My girlfriend is on this stuff and I honestly thinks it makes her moods worse. It gets so bad that how her ass looks in her jeans will dictate weather or not she is happy or sad which just blows my mind altogether. She also sez that she can't sleep on this stuff and she hasn't had an orgasm in almost a month. I gonna try and get to stop taking it altogether and maybe suggest some l-tryptophan or some 5-htp or even SAM- e

StonerHate
10-01-2009, 06:37
SNRIs and SSRIs are just bad news all-around for most people with mood disorders.

Rubber Matress
24-02-2009, 14:14
I was prescribed cymbalta and boy did it make me sick. I mean really ill. The 1 capsule started to take affect after about 30 mins and then for the next 24 hours i was having mad stomache/intestine cramps and acid indigestion of death and i felt dizzy, unable to concentrate on anything, sweating. But mostly the burning acid in the diaphram area and sickness is what made me say "I' ain't takin another one of those!"

I know certain antidepressants have unpleasant sideeffects at first and then begin to go away but this was too much. I stupidly tried a second attempt at taking one 2 days later and went through all that hell again.

Fuck cymbalta i say! 'lol

I thought the pain was due to the little balls of med coming out of the melted capsule in my stomache and just burning everything in my gut, so the second one i tried i made sure i ate icecream and drank lots of milk before taking it. But it made no difference. Anyone that can stomache these badboys must have a belly of iron is all i can say.
------------------------------------

And I just wanted to add ... I noticed alot of people saying Prozac had no recreational value atall.

Well i beg to differ. Back in 1995 I was working in Eli Lilly (the factory that made prozac) so i was filling my socks with handfulls of the 60mg capsules everyday and i remember taking 1 the first night then 2 the second night. And on that second night, Man was i feeling buzzed! It was a bit like a ecstasy rush but lasted all night. I felt like fairies and rainbows were in my stomache and i felt like i could do anything. So happy, so possitive. Intense happiness, not just "oh i feel a bit happy today".
I continued to take them recreationally on fridays and saturdays and sometimes i was drinking alot with them which made me even more rushed. I was chatting up girls left right and center and felt like a king 'lol (I'm not joking). I'm naturally very shy and insecure.

After i while i guess you get used to them and that recreational value wares off. But for those first couple of weeks , they were strong.

Just wanted to clear that up.=D

Tsukasa
24-02-2009, 22:18
It's a 5-HT and NE reuptake inhibitor, and to a lesser extent DA. So it should calm you mentally and give you more (mainly physical) energy. You may get some adverse effects though like physical tension and anxiety and your sex drive will go to hell completely. Decreased appetite and weight loss are also common, but I consider that a neutral effect, because depends on your physical situation (fat or skinny).

Shovelist
27-02-2009, 06:30
I got a few 60mg Cymbalta pills from someone.. and I took one. Damn 24/hr release pill too!!

I high was like what I feel like the next day after an rolling. Mind you.. I had major anxiety at the time.. and no benzos.

psynirvana01
27-02-2009, 06:43
nope... really come on now looks this shit up on wikipedia and you would've found out it wasn't recreational before you had to make this shitty topic...i was prescribed cymbalta for 2 years it didn't help with my depression and know it doesn't get you high you fucktard... im on oxy and really pissy :)

Shovelist
01-03-2009, 07:45
I cant get across the fact that mostly everyone says it makes them sleep.

It made me speedy-ish and dirty. 60mg is the highest dose.. Im not sure if it was too large of a dose.. or just not enough.

Im surprised the guy who gave them to me, since he markets the drug... that is was an anti-depressant.

I told him I was having mad anxiety.. and he gave me a couple pieces of the sample pack, 4 pills.

It did the opposite.. and I got hot flashes as well.

I thought since it works with both neroephinephine (sp) and serotonin levels it would be speed and release mad seritonin in a 24 hour release.

He said to make break it apart and snort it.. he said he's never tried it.. but doubt it.

Also said to break it apart if I didnt want the time release. Is that true?

Any info much appreciated.. because I just found the 2 left I have.

Oh and he was also leaving on a an airplane and took one before saying.. that will make me nice and high for the ride. ..weird...

mararies20
02-03-2009, 10:41
I was on Cymbalta for depression. The first few days I took it, it was almost like I was on E but a very very mellow version, I guess. I would yawn a lot and suck on my tongue. Also, I'd clench up and give myself a hug...hahaha.... but after a week or two of taking it, I just ended up getting super constipated and super sweaty. You wouldn't believe how sweaty it made me. The constipation was probably the worst though... maybe its too much info but seriously, i'd go once a week at the most.... I was also extremely nauseous to the point where I had to just lay down. (which, by the way, made me break into a sweat.) if you want to be a sweaty, constipated, nauseous, self-hugging mess, i'd say go for it. otherwise, there are plenty of other drugs out there that will actually give you a good time. I dont think Cymbalta will....

wow..u just took the words out of my uhh fingers i guess lol...but yeah I FELT EXACTLY THE SAME..but the constipation I didnt' get to feel cuz i didn't last long on it..like I took it at night and in the mornin I felt so effin awake and like I was on E but not the good high E just the bad awake paranoia side of E ...it was veeeeeeeeeeeeery verry bad..i did not wana touch it ever again..right now I'm on lexapro I think its good but well im going through H addiction so now I have to deal with effin opiod withdrawals as well...geez the mental cycle never ends does it!

berry k00l
03-03-2009, 18:44
i take cymbalta with zoloft and it works charms. but dont use it for rec. it will do u no good.

acetylcholine
24-05-2009, 06:10
I was on Cymbalta 60 mg for about 18 months. There is absolutely nothing recreational about it. Not once in those 18 months did I "enjoy" the drug. It relieves depression\other psychiatric diagnoses, and that's it. It will make you very sick if you take too much.

It did help with depression, but made me very tired, which is odd since it's supposed to be a "stimulating anti-depressant" due to it NE action. All the other side effects you'd expect with an SSRI\SNRI were there too.

I believe Zoloft treatment briefly put me in a hypomanic state, but Cymbalta didn't even do that.lol

And the discontinuation was unpleasant, but nothing like the exaggerated-sounding stories that you hear about. I gradually lowered my dose over the course of three weeks.

K'd-OUT-in-AZ
24-05-2009, 06:36
I'm on Lyrica and Cymbalta for the symptoms of my fibromyalgia and the comb has been more effective than any opioid I've been prescribed for it. I was put on the Cymbalta about 1 month ago and after a couple weeks of severe drowsiness, its greatly boosted my mood and energy levels. The Lyrica is more effective for the anxiety and pain symptoms.

I could NEVER perceive it as a recreational drug.

Absynthe
25-05-2009, 09:28
I was on Effexor for my Fibromyalgia pain, along with Topamax for neuropathic pain, Norco for pain, amyltriptaline. What messed me up was the Cymbalta on TOP of the Effexor, which totally messed me up! I went cold turkey off of both Effexor and Cymbalta, because I had the first case of Serotonin Syndrome the pharmacist had ever seen, and I was going DOWN, and not in a good way. It took about a week, before all the side effects went away. Cymbalta went down the drain, BLAH!!!

Nope, none made me suicidal - just amped UP my pain!!!! I'm on MMJ and Morphine now...once I would've wished it made me high; now I'm thankful to night be in in unremitting pain each and every day.

It hurts to walk, first thing in the morning, along with my hands burning. Say, "Nerve pain," aaaaah!

I've tried almost every drug out there for pain - and most suck, except the actual pain killers/narcotics.

worstnightmare
01-01-2010, 03:29
Here you go:
---

In animal studies, duloxetine did not demonstrate barbiturate-like (depressant) abuse potential.

While Cymbalta has not been systematically studied in humans for its potential for abuse, there was no indication of drug-seeking behavior in the clinical trials. However, it is not possible to predict on the basis of premarketing experience the extent to which a CNS active drug will be misused, diverted, and/or abused once marketed. Consequently, physicians should carefully evaluate patients for a history of drug abuse and follow such patients closely, observing them for signs of misuse or abuse of Cymbalta (e.g., development of tolerance, incrementation of dose, drug-seeking behavior).
---

I have been diagnosed with a blended disorder, ASPD (what you know as sociopathic) & Schizoid PD.

They've been trying drug combinations on me for quite some time. One of my head doctors prescribed this to me (60mg) due to the combination of her thinking I am depressed and also her being a complete idiot.

It makes me shaky and twitch at times, as well as clinching my jaw muscles involuntarily - but not much else.

When I get tired of a particular drug I fake a recovery or worsening to get switched. Thanks sheep!

PVMD
21-01-2010, 12:09
Very few antidepressants have any recreational value, Duloxetine isn't one of them.

Among antidepressants Fluoxetine(Prozac) and Duloxetine(Cymbalta) have relatively little in common btw.

If you wanna go down the road of recreational ad use (which you don't, even though you might not have realized yet):

1. beware of serotonin syndrome and hypertensive crisis and seizures and all the other shit that may follow.
2. you probably wanna focus on ones affecting NE and/or DA, or very atypical ones.
3. study up re-heeealy hard (HARD).
4. have 911 on speed-dial

Buddy122
22-01-2010, 05:37
I took one just to see if it was recreational at all...and I got horribly sick from it, like nauseous, throwing up, shaking, cold sweats, it was bad. So yeah, not imo is it for rec use lol.

monstanoodle
22-01-2010, 06:06
Lord (mods), strike thou mighty hand and puteth this wicked, devilish, sillyish thread to thine own pits of hell wherest it hhhwonce cameth frometh .... eth eth eth ....

PVMD
22-01-2010, 07:18
^hear ye

General_A. Napoli
22-01-2010, 08:42
SSRIs aren't really a good choice for a recreational drug.. they usually cause drowsiness, weird feelings, excess yawning and minimal euphoria. In fact, most recreational users don't enjoy using SSRIs. They really only serve the purpose of depression, after taking the medication for weeks under supervision.

Bob Loblaw
24-01-2010, 19:49
O monstanoodle, we hath heard thy call and come forth to vanquish this blemish.