PDA

View Full Version : the bachelor's cook book.

Pages : [1] 2

.dR spgeddi
22-08-2004, 09:44
post your favourite dodgy recipe.

my first is

fish finger caserole.

ingredients
20 pack black gold brandless fish fingers.
can of chicken soup (with or without vegies)
small can of corn kernals
handfull of frozen mixed veg
2 handfulls of spirelli pasta
100mls of cream or equal amount of milk and butter
250grams of cheese
salt and pepper

cooking instructions
pre-heat the oven 180 (350)... ish.
place the fish fingers in the bottom of the baking tray
combine all the ingredients (cept cheese) and pour over the fish fingers.
sprinkle grated cheese on top
bake untill the pasta is cooked.

(for an interesting variation try using a can of mushroom soup instead of chicken.)

anyone else?

keystroke
22-08-2004, 09:51
that sounds nice, I might have to remember that one :)

herekittiekittie
22-08-2004, 09:58
Orange Chicken Fajitas are the yummiest meal ever, easy as... just put some oil in a pan, add a tablespoon of cumin and cayenne and a teaspoon of chilli powder, heat and stir it for about 2 mins, add 500g chicken and cook it. then get some natural unsweetened yoghurt and put it in a bowl, grate half the rind of an orange into it, and put orange juice into the yoghurt mix to taste. then add the yoghurt mix to the chicken, it'll evaporate and infuse with the chicken. it tastes SOO yummy. have it in a pita bread with cherry tomatoes and lettuce/baby spinach, corn and fetta cheese. i HATE to cook but this takes like 10 mins to make and it's the yummiest thing in the universe.

.dR spgeddi
22-08-2004, 10:12
every bachelor needs a good supply of flavoured ice cubes.

ingredients
water.
flavoured cordial

equipment
ice-cube tray
freezer

combine the ingredients and pour over the ice cube tray.
place tray in freezer untill frozen.

when frozen place into a tall glass and pour in plenty of vodka.
serves one per glass.

astrosmurf
22-08-2004, 11:39
there's a good and easy recipe thread in second opinion, i'll link it when i'm not feeling so lazy.

but my favourite easy thinkg to cook is those flavoured packet pasta's with frozen vegetables and toast.

:)

Void
22-08-2004, 13:06
If you got sausages to cook for hotdogs, dont bother getting the BBQ out or even a pot to boil 'em in water. Nope, just stick 'em in a microwave for a minute or two. Not sure if they are technically cooked but they'll be hot. Certain types sometypes crack/explode so you goto work out how long they can last before they go.

.dR spgeddi
22-08-2004, 13:52
^(hotdog frankfurts)weiners are one of my specialties...
i can do curried weiners, weiners carbonara, weiner in da hole, macaroni n weiners and weiner dip (weiners with sauce).
i do micro the weiners sometimes, so i know what you mean about brand selection. footy dogs by don are the best, if you like them jacket on. but i do like 'em when they do that insidey-outey weiner thingy... makes me think of the poosey.

Sllip
22-08-2004, 14:37
Originally posted by .dR spgeddi
(for an interesting variation try using a can of mushroom soup instead of chicken.)
[/B]

Here's an interesting tid bit, artificial mushroom flavour is the same chemical as artificial chicken flavour.

Urbanhog
22-08-2004, 15:42
^(hotdog frankfurts)weiners are one of my specialties...
i can do curried weiners, weiners carbonara, weiner in da hole, macaroni n weiners and weiner dip (weiners with sauce).
i do micro the weiners sometimes, so i know what you mean about brand selection. footy dogs by don are the best, if you like them jacket on. but i do like 'em when they do that insidey-outey weiner thingy... makes me think of the poosey.

I wouldn't feel comfortable eating these tinned weiners/frankfruits that is often imported from Europe, one of the popular brands I forgot what it's called and it's imported from Holland.... but I wonder where in Europe the Dutch import the pork meats from to make them...

*shudders* eating european pigs that was raised in overcrowded environment type of farms scares me. 8(

pubeman
22-08-2004, 16:09
Here's a little beauty, takes about 10 mins

you need:

A can of Cannelini beans (they look like white kidney beans)
Bacon
hot and Spicy salami, Hungarian or Spanish
Onion
Angel hair pasta
Sun dried tomato pesto
Chilli flakes

Pretty simple, just cook the pasta until it is al dente.
Cut the bacon and salami into short strips, chuck it into a frying pan with some diced onion, and cook just long enough for the fats and oils to melt out of the bacon and salami. Pour the oil off, and add the cannelini beans, (you can microwave them first to speed things up) cook on low heat for a few minutes. The beans are cooked when they are light and fluffy. Drain the pasta and stir the pesto and chilli flakes thru it, add the bacon, onion, salami and bean mix and top with shaved parmesan.

It looks like something straight out of a swanky restaurant.

Also I advise any bachelor to get themselves a George Foreman grill, you'll wonder what you ever did without one.

ButrosButros_Grantos
22-08-2004, 16:14
1 Pack of chicken flavoured 2 minute noodles
2 tablespoons peanut-butter

Cook noodles as per normal, add peanut butter arfterwards, it tastes great...

Barney Gumnut
23-08-2004, 02:25
Vegetable Pasta

250g pasta.
2 x vegetable stock cubes.

Cook pasta and drain, crumble stock cubes through pasta and serve.

For an interesting variation try chicken or beef!

Strawberry_lovemuffin
23-08-2004, 03:17
LOL.... some of you people are *way* too advanced for Bachelor Cooking 101. My boyfriend whips up a mean microwaved Dim Sim and the occasional toasted cheese sandwich when I'm not cooking. I think the most gourmet he's gotten is cooking sausages, egg, baked beans and tomato all at once, smothered (of course) in tomato sauce.. :D

ashaman
23-08-2004, 04:13
who's a cheese junkie?

cook rice, put rice on plate, put on anything you want (ranging from pork, beef, chicken, salami slices, bacon, tuna, mushrooms, carrots, peas) cut into small pieces and sprinkle evenly on the plate. grab a 'chicken tonight cream saurce' and spread the saurce all around, covering up all the ingredients.

Then grab some grated cheese and sprinkle that on top of it, place in oven at 200 degrees. take it out when the cheese on top is crisp and eat away!

Its more of a 'pizza' than anything, except with a rice base!

biggerbear
23-08-2004, 09:19
if i am really lazy, i put pasta in pot to boil until al dente.

at the same time, take can of baked beans, add some cheese (even slices will do), some meat (spam, sliced ham, sausages cut up), microwave for 2 minutes, stir, microwave for another minute.

by this time, the pasta should be ready (10-12 min). drain pasta. either pour the baked beans mix over the pasta whilst pasta still in pot, or for less cleaning, just remove pasta and pour the baked beans mix over it.

alternatively, instead of baked beans use cans of mushroom or tomato or etc soup, add milk. same process as above.

if i am really really lazy, substitute 2 minute noodles for pasta in above combinations.

prepare, cook and clean in under 15 minutes is always my aim.

otherwise the girlies get distracted.

katmeow
23-08-2004, 10:16
Here's a healthy (and easy) recipe:

The lazy person's stirfry...

Precut chicken strips (or pork, steak, lamb etc etc)
Packet of frozen stiryfry vegies
Bottle of oyster sauce

Put a bit of oil in fry pan (as I realise true batchelors will not have a wok), cook meat. While this is happening, microwave vegies, then add them to fry pan. Add sauce and mix for a minute.

Ta da!

Takes about 10 minutes.

Pleonastic
23-08-2004, 10:46
Pizza Pockets

1) Purchase packet of pizza pockets from supermarket
2) Remove from wrapper
3) Place in microwave and cook on high for 1.5 minutes
4) Remove from microwave
5) Eat!

The best type of bachelor cooking is the type that results in zero dishes.

Another good one is those nacho kits. If you're smart enough to use paper plates then you can just throw everything out when you're done. :)

Pseudo G
23-08-2004, 10:53
every bachelor needs a good supply of flavoured ice cubes.

ingredients
water.
flavoured cordial

equipment
ice-cube tray
freezer

combine the ingredients and pour over the ice cube tray.
place tray in freezer untill frozen.

when frozen place into a tall glass and pour in plenty of vodka.
serves one per glass.

Nope, I fucked it up. I think I burnt them

And as for dodgy recipes, I don't have any. But here's a tip, if you're making scrambled eggs or quiche, instead of adding salt, add a little soy sauce. It gives it a nice colour and adds a whole new dimension of taste to eggs.

.dR spgeddi
23-08-2004, 11:56
microwave egg mcmuffin with cheese.

ingredients
1 muffin
1 egg
1 slic o cheese
butter and salt

prep
crack egg into a coffee cup and place a saucer over the top. microwave the egg in cup for 30-40 seconds (experiament with this till you know how you like your egg). toast the muffin, butter it and add the cheese slice. now get the egg in mug, run a knife around the edge of the egg and it will then slide out neatly onto the muffin... voila tasty egg n cheese mcmuffin.

(the peanut noodle dish is another of my favs too... i call it nutty spgeddi)

eze451
23-08-2004, 12:14
step 1: buy cafe style sandwich press
step 2: make a sandwich with your favourite ingredients
step 3: put it in the sandwich press
step 4: take out after 2-3 mins
step 5: consume, and marvel at how good toasted sandwiches really are
step 6: hop on bluelight and thank eze451 for letting you know that all u TRULY need in life is a sandwich press

pubeman
23-08-2004, 12:25
^^^ A george foreman grill is much better than a sandwich press.

lazychook
23-08-2004, 12:28
hey guys, i have whole bunch of Bachelor chow recepies as im planning to move out soon. ill post a few now and maybe some more later...

Bacon, Banana & Cheese Doorstopper

Ingredients:
2 thick (I mean seriously thick, 1inch+ at least) pieces of bread
2-4 rashers bacon
1-2 Bananas
mozzarella cheese

Procedure:
1. Turn on your grill to preheat it.

2. Cook bacon to desired crunchiness, place on paper towelling to soak up excess fat.

3. While the bacon's cooking, slice/mash the banana on the bread, I found 1 banana was just more than enough for one slice.

4. Place bacon on banana and top with mozzarella.

5. Place in grill and remove when cheese has melted and browned nicely.

6. Cut as desired, soldiers are easiest to eat but require careful cutting, a quick whack with a cleaver works well.

**If you want your bread a little more toasted, throw it under the grill and flip before spreading the banana.

Enjoy!

__________________________________________________ __

and of course what Bachelor recipie page would be complete without a
STEAK & CHIPS

Ingredients:

-Steak
Well, the most important part is the steak. For this I chose basically the best bit of the cow - the eye fillet (tenderloin). Its not usually cheap, but it was well worth it! Make sure you purchase it from a proper butcher and it hasn't been frozen. I had the butcher also prepare it into 4 peices almost an inch thick.

-Baked Chips
2 potatoes
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 teaspoon of thyme
salt

Steak sauce - get some bottled steak sauce fro the supermarket OR read further down for the legendary JIM BEAM STEAK SAUCE RECIPIE!!!

Before you begin:

Take the steak out of the fridge about an hour before you're ready to cook. It needs to be at room temperature when placed on the grill. This is a good piece of meat here, so don't tenderise it or marinate it.

The Process:

1. Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees celcius (gas oven for me)

2. Cut the potatoes length wise in strips about 5mm wide. Then cut each of these into about 3-4 strips.

3. Place in a bowl and toss with the oil and thyme until evenly covered.

5. Lay chips in a single layer on a tray with baking paper.

6. Place them in the oven for 15 minutes.

8. Heat up your grill on the highest setting

9. Go post on the forums, or cut the steak if you didn't get the butcher to do it and wait for the chips to buzz.

10. Take the chips out and flip them all over. Place them back in the oven for a further 20 minutes. Its now onto the steak.

11. By this stage the grill should be very hot - if its not, get a new one. Take some olive oil and pour some to thinly coat a plate. Place the steak in it on each side so it gets a thin coat of oil. Do this for each piece.

12. Place each piece on the grill. There should be steam coming off and around the steak. If not, everything should be hotter.

13. This is probably the tricky part - working out how long it should be there. I was aiming for Medium to Rare. I wanted pinkish in the middle but with no blood. I left the meat for approximately 2 minutes, turned it 45 degrees so I would get the criss-cross pattern seen in the restuarants and then left it a further 2 mins until moisture was just starting to form on the surface.

14. At this point I flipped the steak. ONLY FLIP IT ONCE. Use tongs to gently flip the steak and do not pierce it with a fork etc. I then waited approximately a further 4 minutes until moisture was just starting to pool at the surface. You can also use the back of the tongs to push down and check using "rule of thumb" for how it is done. Though from what I've read if the juices are just starting the pool then its about medium - rare (turned out to be accurate)

15. Remove the steak from the grill and cover it in foil. Let it sit for 10 mins (should be how long the chips have left). This will let the juices & flavour settle back into the centre of the meat and also allow it to relax.

16. Remove the chips from the oven and salt to taste.

17. Present the meal with the steak, chips and sauce.

18. Consume and enjoy the best steak you've ever had outside of a restaurant!

__________________________________________________ ________

Jim Beam BBQ Sauce
Ingredients
1 part Jim Beam
2 parts BBQ sauce
Ground Pepper & Tabasco

Method
1. Heat Fry Pan to High and add Jim Beam

2. Flame/Cook for at least 30 seconds so the most of the alcohol is burnt off.
2.2. or you could not burn the alcohol off and have a mor entertaining meal ;)

3. Reduce heat to Low and add BBQ sauce.

4. Add Pepper and Tabasco for your preference of heat/spice

5. Take off heat, allow to cool then bottle/serve.

__________________________________________________ ______

Ill post some more recepies later tonight if anyone wants me too. i have loads more.

sorry if these are above any of your cooking skills.
please tell me if these are too hard and you guys want some easier stuff!

cheers, the new to the forums, lazychook =D

raverchik
23-08-2004, 13:30
Ok this is extra Dodgey!!

Take one can of heinz Tined spagetti in tomatoe sauce (u know the ones like baked beans) and some fresh mince .
Cook mince untill brown and microwave spagetti until hot. combine

And there u have it the dogeyest receipe of spagetti bolanaise ever :)

Yes I got it off a Guy!

eze451
23-08-2004, 13:56
Originally posted by pubeman
^^^ A george foreman grill is much better than a sandwich press.

dude, if they have made something that can toast sandwiches, AND can do other stuff, im all for it.... although i never thought i would see it happen in my lifetime....

consider me converted %)

pubeman
23-08-2004, 13:58
^^^ Trust me my friend, your life is about to get much, much better

onetwothreefour
23-08-2004, 14:20
even though the foreman products have the worst ads ever, i'm reliably informed that they're *THE* best things for lazy people such as myself.

or stoners :)

.dR spgeddi
23-08-2004, 15:10
lazychook. g'day.

definately gunna play with the Bacon, Banana & Cheese Doorstopper
recipe.

the bachelors cookbook is all about shortcuts and simplicity, but specatacular faire is very welcome, just keep it simple in the prep etc.

cheers and welcome to bluelight... (omg its been years since i said that!)

beech
23-08-2004, 16:07
For the Cheez addicts out there:

Cheesy Garlic Bread

2 ways of doing it.

Beginners Way:
Buy garlic bread and slide pieces of cheese in between the slices and cook in oven as directions on packet indicate.

Advanced Method:
take a couple of pieces of bread or a roll that is cut in half. Butter it with garlic butter (purchased or homemade, depending on ur culinary abilities), put grated or sliced if no grated is available and toast under grill till cheese is melted.

However I do believe the bachelor's best friend is the phone and the phone number of any pizza joint that delivers

Beech out

lazychook
23-08-2004, 16:07
hey .dR spgeddi, thanks for the warm welcome!
sorry about the long recepie before, it is very nice though. I found a few more YUMMY ones for you guys tho, hopefully they are a simple enough :P

for DINNER:
quick and easy pasta

Ingredients:
Angel Hair Pasta (cooks quicker and tastes better!)
about 6 mushrooms cut
1 garlic glove
olive oil
butter
sour cream

Procedure:
1. Pretty much get the pasta cooked while making the sauce.
2. Heat some oil & butter in a pan.
3. Put the mushrooms in with the garlic. cook till nice and brown and a bit moist.
4. Next drain the pasta and stick it in the mushroom pot and mix it all together nicely. Then add the sour cream and mix.

DONE!!!

for DESERT:
Marshmallow Rice Krispie treats

Ingredients:
3 Tablespoons of Margarine
300g of Regular Marshmallows
6 Cups of Rice Bubbles

Procedure:

1. Melt the margarine in the saucepan on a low Heat
2. Add the marshmallows and stir over a LOW heat till fully melted. Remove from heat
3. Add rice bubbles and stir till fully coated.
4. Press into a lamington tin that has been sprayed with canola spray stuff and press down firmly to remove air bubbles and compress fully
5. Cool in fridge for a few hours.
6. Slice and Dice ready for serving

WOO!!!

after dinner fun:
Vodka Jelly Shots

Ingredients:
Jelly Crystals - any flavour. Orange, pinapple, and strawberry works well.
Vodka (or what ever you want really...)

Equipment:
Freezer
Bowl
Spoon
Measuring Cup
Shot glasses, ice cube tray, or small cups.

Instructions:
Pretty much just following the instructions on the back of the Jelly crystals packet and use half WATER half VODKA.

have a nice night everybody!
-lazy

eze451
23-08-2004, 17:03
yeh beech i do that as well, altho i add tomato paste and ham to make sort of like a little pizza bread... quite spectacular i must say

Pseudo G
23-08-2004, 19:29
I got a george foreman jumbo size grill a few days ago for my birthday. I heard good things about them and I'm suitable impressed at how quick, easy and without messing cooking is with it.

I'm still trying to figure out how to cook eggs on it though... any tips?

eze451
23-08-2004, 19:55
its crucial to remove the shell first, thus exposing the egg.... from there u are on your own

Urbanhog
23-08-2004, 20:30
Gourmet Pizza....

just go to Coles and buy fresh thin base veggie pizza, and go to the deli and buy some sun dried tomatoes, grilled eggplants, salami to suit your "heat/chilli" needs, fetta cheese, etc etc ... and just top up with more cheese on top.... and bingo... you got a nice pizza ready for you in 10-15 minutes...

These thin base pizzas are better than thick base because I find these thick base dont cook well if you put extra toppings ... while these thin base, you just chuck them on the oven tray on the top at 220C to make them nice golden brown and crispy ..... the only things you need to wash up is plates, board to cut the pizza on and the knife you cutted the pizza.....because the extra stuff you buy from the deli already packed in these small containers or wrapped up in plastic bag/paper.

A good homemade gourmet pizza for under $12-15 depending what you buy and use as topping while the same thing could be worth nearly $20 bucks from your local gourmet pizza place and that money svaed could be used towards buy a bottle of wine or goon =D

Lucas
24-08-2004, 00:07
Tandoori chicken naans

Ingredients:
cubed chicken
tandoori curry powder
soft cheese (Philadelphia or similar)
mini-naan breads
grated cheese and lettuce (optional)

prep:
1. brown the chicken for a bit
2. throw in the whole tub of soft cheese and a fair bit of tandoori curry powder
3. stir it all about until its a pretty consistant orangy colour
4. put the mini-naans in the oven for a bit so they crisp up a little, then split them down the sides so you have a pocket
5. fill with lettuce tandoori chicken and grated cheese and eat

A friend taught me this recipe earlier this year and I couldnt believe how fucking simple it was and how damn good they taste

Disclaimer: i wont be held responsible for any harm or injury caused to you, your family, friends or pets that comes from misjudging my extremely vague measurements

ButrosButros_Grantos
24-08-2004, 04:35
Mini Wiener Dogs :

Okay so these aren't hard to make and they look really cute.

First off buy some cocktail frankfurts and some dinner rolls, the ones that look like hotdog rolls but are about 1/5 the size. Also cheese, onion, ketchup and mustard.

Cook cocktail frankfurts, make hotdogs as per normal but in miniture... You can also use chicken nuggets to make a mean mini chicken burger...

Damn Youngen
24-08-2004, 06:19
well. An old recipe I picked up in the scouts. I call it:
THE AMAZING SCOUT STEW!!!!
ingredients:
1 can kraft braised steak and onions
1 can mixed veges
salt & Peper
soy sauce
Optional:
Assorted herbs (IE garilic, basial, random other herbs)
Tomato sauce to taste

To cook:
drain the vege can, add the drained veges and meat into a saucepan , add salt, peper, and soy sauce. cook until hot. Eat with buttered white bread. you can also put cheese on it.

Disclaimer: This sounds hella nasty, but is good. IT also looks evil. But so good

Doodle
24-08-2004, 06:57
^ I love the use of "random other herbs!"

Strawberry_lovemuffin
24-08-2004, 07:38
Originally posted by ButrosButros_Grantos
Mini Wiener Dogs :

Okay so these aren't hard to make and they look really cute.

First off buy some cocktail frankfurts and some dinner rolls, the ones that look like hotdog rolls but are about 1/5 the size. Also cheexe, onion, ketchup and mustard.

Cook cocktail frankfurts, make hotdogs as per normal but in miniture... You can also use chciken nuggets to make a mean mini chicken burger...

Those sound pretty damn nice (great footy final food!). I think I am a bachelorette cook really. Packets, short-cuts, bring it on. :D This is good stuff guys.

beech
24-08-2004, 09:11
Turkish Bread Pizza.

These are mega easy.
Buy some turkish bread roll things, cut em in half, spread bit of tomato paste on em and top with favourite pizza toppings. Put under grill and grill til hot and cheese is melted.
Might like to give the turkish bread a bit of a toasting before putting toppings on, depending on if u want a crunchy toasted base sorta thing.

Its generally my belief that if a stove top or oven is required to cook something then it is probably too much effort for the average lazy bachelor. You'd be amazed what one can cook in a microwave and under the grill. Best thing bout these methods of cooking is the speediness.
For example ya can cook eggs in microwave in no time at all....only danger is if you leave em in a little too long they have a tendancy to make a big fuck off mess.

The must have for the healthy bachelor in my opinion is the steamer. Steamers are awsome. Can cook just about anything in em - chicken, fish, vegies, seafood, rice, risotto, pasta and it all comes out healthy and is pretty quick too. Some might argue that anything steammed is tasteless and bland, not true, u just gotta master the art of steaming :D

Beech out

I'll admit i'm a closet case cookie monster, cooking is easy and fun to me. when a few more bachelor recipes come to mind i'll post em

.dR spgeddi
24-08-2004, 10:24
ButrosButros_Grantos
mini weiner dogs...
i call 'em pugs.
my nephews thought it was the coolest thing they ever seen.

GillyWin
24-08-2004, 11:26
My beans and sausage thing.

Get an oven dish, put in a can of beans, put in chopped up sausages, cook for however long, add some cheese (for the cheese lovers hehe).

Optional - serve with bread ;)

mmmm

~::Trip'nPuSSy::~
25-08-2004, 14:04
warm rohypnol tea...

ingredients
rohypnol
.... etc etc /jk

Donny Don't
25-08-2004, 14:19
Whatever i make i make sure i make enough for at least 4 or 5 meals.

Charlie Brown
26-08-2004, 11:25
1 tin Johnwest Sardines in tomato sauce
3 slices of white bread

Pop sardines in a plate put wrapping over it to prevent spraying everywhere..pop in microwave for 1 minute...

Voila...

sardines straight from the tin..John west are the best!

beech
26-08-2004, 11:40
5 SECOND NOODLES.
Hungry? Needa snack while watching TV and outta chips? 5 Second Noodles are what u need.
Go to cupboard and get pack of "2 minute noodles" out, open pack, break up a bit, put in bowl and sprinkle seasoning over em and EAT.

May not sound very nice but give it a chance, its pretty damn good. Even better when drunk or hungover and have the munchies.

Note: It probably does take more than 5 seconds to actually prepare these but really if ya add it up it takes more than 2 mins total to make 2 min noodles

Beech out

m4dd0g
09-07-2006, 11:05
*bump* Theres some gold in this thread

One of my favorites:
Rice
Frozen corn pieces
Frozen spicy chicken nuggets

Nuggets into the oven
Boil the rice and when its half done throw in an equal amount of corn

Drain and serve. Rice, corn and spicey nuggets taste awesome

Mean Girl
09-07-2006, 14:18
the ultimate bachelor should know how to make at least one spiffy drink and dinner combination. thus :

the classic martini

3 parts gin (bombay, hendricks, gordons - don't skimp)
1 part dry vermouth
green olives (lots of olives)
twist o' lemon

add the gin and the vermouth to a shaker filled with ice, stir [or shake if you're bond incarnate] and pour into a martini glass. toss in the twist o' lemon and stick some olives on a toothpick and place on top of the glass. add a squirt of olive juice / brine and some more vermouth to make a dirty martini.

serve with :

chicken and chili with basil stirfry

500gm of sliced chicken breast
1/2 cup o' chopped spring onion
handful of torn basil
1 or 2 thinly sliced red chilis
pinch o' salt
clove o' garlic crushed
splotch o' vegetable oil
tablespoon of sugar

nb : palm sugar if you're feeling traditional, otherwise just white or brown is fine, and if you're keen on fish, add a drop of fish sauce.

toss oil in wok and heat. roughly chop [or use a pestle & mortar] the garlic and chilli to let flavours meld. briefly cook the chicken for a few minutes, then add everything but the basil to the wok and cook until aromatic and chicken doesn't look pink anymore. add basil at the last second, toss for a bit and then serve.

serve with steamed jasmine rice. the more generic palate might appreciate some cashews / broccoli / baby corn tossed into the wok as well.

:)

Donny Don't
09-07-2006, 14:33
^

chilli & basil chicken rocks :)

electreauxbella
09-07-2006, 15:10
Easy Pasta

You will need

2 cloves of chopped FRESH (not that jar shit) garlic
1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
1 bunch asparagus, cut into 2cm pieces
1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves
1/2 cup Pine Nuts
Handful of baby spinach
Fresh Parmesan
1 packet angel hair pasta
olive oil
salt & pepper to taste

cook pasta (come on, EVERYONE can cook pasta right??)

when pasta is about 1/2 cooked (say, 5 or so minutes after putting in the pot) heat 4 tablespoons of olive oil in a frypan. Add garlic & brown, then add Cherry Tomatoes and 1/2 bunch coriander (or as much as desired) and turn to low heat. Don't overcook - tomatoes should still be firm and intact, not mushy.

Put pine nuts into a baking dish, and roast in oven (or under griller) til just brown.

Microwave asparagus for 2 mins on high (in a little water), drain & throw into tomato frypan mix. Stir, then pour over pasta. Top with pine nuts, baby spinach leaves and shaved fresh parmesan.

Viola - easy pasta

For another variations try adding Basil instead of Coriander.

Donny Don't
09-07-2006, 15:37
Spag Bol

Provided you have a bit of time on your hands, this is my favourite easy recipe when i'm living alone....it's easy to prepare and once it's on the stove you can forget about it and do more important things for a couple of hours like watch tv, drink beer, etc

spaghetti bolognaise

Ingredients:
750gm mince
750gm tomato pasta sauce (i recommend bertolli provista sugo classica)
100gm (2 sachets) tomato paste
1 large onion
6 large chiilis (i like a hot brew - you can use less if you want)
1 tablespoon olive oil
750ml water
2 cloves garlic
grated parmessan cheese to taste

Method:
Heat the saucepan on medium heat and add the oil and onions
cook onions for 2 mins until brown
add mince and cook until brown
add the pasta sauce, then fill the pasta sauce bottle with water and add that to the saucepan

the saucepan should be pretty full at this point

stir and bring to the boil
add tomato paste, chilli and garlic

turn heat to low, put lid on saucepan and allow to simmer for 2 hours. You can probably pull it off the heat after 1 hour but i prefer 2....the most important thing when making bolognaise sauce is time....the longer you simmer the better as the flavours have full opportunity to infuse through the dish.

I consider myself a bit of a bolognaise snob.....having grown used to dishes prepared in this way i cannot eat a rushed and ill-prepared bolognaise (and by this mean i mean less than an hour's cooking time)

After the brew has been simmering for 90 mins cook the spaghetti (instructions are on the packet)

Once the spaghetti is done take the meat sauce off the stove and serve.

You will probably have quite a bit leftover, so it's good to divide up and leave some in the fridge and freeze the rest. It's good for four meals.