Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Methanol supply

Acid_Reign

Bluelighter
I've got a friend thats on as many prescription drugs as grains of sand at the beach. He claims to be on methanol. He's not the type to lie, esspecially since he has no idea about the significance of methanol. I just want to know is methanol actually a prescription drug or is it more likely to be a chemical with the name methanol in there.
Any help is appreciated.
------------------
Some minds deserve to be expanded
Others belong to the ignorant

methanol is a form of alcohol....a very nasty ugly kind, which is no fun at all when you consume it.
it's present in all alcoholic drinks, in small amounts.
basically it's what gives you a hangover.
ethanol is that alcohol that you're after, its the stuff that makes you go all woblly

Do not go near Methanol. It is poison!!! I read in my high school science, some time ago now, that in some cases 10ml is enough to cause blindness (I'm not sure why...but it was in a science text book). Methanol is added to what everyone knows "Metho" so that people won't drink it. "Metho" is actually mostly ethanol (So why did they name it Metho then???), with a bit of metho added so that people won't drink it for fun... hehe
No matter what fun we might be able to have, we are fettered by such rules and regulations...oh well maybe one day the world will wake up.
------------------
Serenity, Tranquility, Peace...

methanol is VERY deadly. there is no way its being given to anyone. the fumes themselves are extremely toxic, and anyone drinking it, yeah well...
in alcoholic drinks? hmm i disagree to be honest, don't have the figures here but the max amount u would could have b4 carking it wouldn't be high at all.
don't know y MeOH would be of interest here except that its an ingredient of the e-z tester.

Hey Biscuit
methanol is very closely related to ethanol...only one carbon and 2 hydrogen atoms difference. it's one of the unwanted byproducts of the fermentation process.
most of the alcohol produced by fermentation is ethanol...the less toxic fun type alcohol.
but inevitably you will get some methanol, which is much more toxic, and no fun at all.

Biscuit's right ... the "lethal" dose for Methanol is ridiculously low ... as for "Metho" you have to remember its' full name "Methylated Spririts" ... what they do is they take pure Ethanol (AFAIR) and then add a quantity of Methanol to try and stop people drinking it ... this is because the Methanol has you barfing a lung before you have drunk enough for the Ethanol to harm you ... but the old winos are still able to keep it down
hic!
------------------
--- "Baby, you're so strange should be in real life!" --- Zaphod

Maybe he's talking about methadone...
"Methadone maintenance is the most effective known treatment for heroin addiction. Used properly, methadone reduces drug use and related crime, death, and disease among heroin users"

methanol is not present is all alcohol, well it is in third world countries and the like, but in alcohol you buy at liquorland it is not present in any quantity.
It's chem structure is CH3OH whereas ethanol is CH3CH3OH.
Methanol makes you go blind.. and then causes death. The reason that methlyated spirits is so cheap is due to the fact that is has methanol in it an is unconsumable as a result. If it wasn't present metho would be very expensive as everyone would be getting pissed on it. Due to the fact that ethanol and methanol's boiling temps are so close together also makes distilling them very hard and not worthwhile.
Methanol is by no means used medicinally, most likely he meant methadone as said above.. but that is only used for people who are heroin addicts as it is a synthetic version of smack..

People.. you want ethanol? I'm your man.. got my own lab at uni and everything.. how do you want it? 5% or 95%? I can even make you up absolute ethanol, however you need to keep it in the freezer otherwise it will evaporate.. all ethanol is watered down and it's never absolute.. ie 100%

I was under the, obviously msiguided, idea that methanol had at least a small amount of recreational use..........dang
smile.gif

However what is strange is that this guy is *definetely* on methanol, not methadone, in very small doses.
cosmic seadog, if your in perth hook me up
smile.gif

Cosmic Seadog,
I'm quite sure that your average alcoholic beverage contains a small percentage of methanol.
I have heard Dr. Karl on triple J explain the cause of hangovers several times. It involves the byproduct caused by the liver processing methanol.
It seems I need to do a bit of a search on medline to prove this, which frankly i can't be bothered to do....in any case it's a moot point, i think we all agree that methanol is not something that would be fun to drink....unless you like hallucinations that look like permanent cataracts :p
BTW CS, i was once at a party where the punch was made with fruit juice and 500ml of 70% ethanol.....highly recommended if you have some analytical ethanol lying around
[This message has been edited by j_swift (edited 27 March 2000).]

There i go again shooting my mouth off saying definates when they aren't.. hell if Dr Karl says something i'm not really one to argue with him 'specially when it's not my feild of exp. I do know that methanol does cause blindness and kills, and as not all 'that' many people go blind or die from alcohol poisioning, then it's fairly safe to say that methanol isn't present, although if you wanted to be picky you wouldn't.. what does he say about hangovers actually? page refs??
Acid.. sorry about that, i'm in Sydney.. as for that analytical ethanol.. hehehe.. i make it up everyday to whatever conc i need it!!! Never tried it though, i do know that i was trying to get hari dye off my face with 95% EtOH and it burnt and dried out my face like nothing else...

Hi all
smile.gif
Just doing my daily surfing around and I found this info about hydrocarbon poisoning in Encyclopaedia Brittanica. It's not very detailed but I think it hits the topic. The article is very detailed, but the alcohols section reads as follows:
"Most alcohols produce depression of the central nervous system, but some alcohols cause certain unique toxicities. Examples of common alcohols include methanol, ethanol, isopropanol, ethylene glycol, and phenol. Methanol can produce blindness after being metabolized to formic acid, which also leads to acidosis, characterized by an acidic pH in the body (lower than the normal pH of 7.4). Ethanol produces birth defects in both laboratory animals and humans. It also produces fetal alcohol syndrome, a major cause of mental retardation, in children of mothers who drink excessively while pregnant. Ethanol is toxic to the liver in chronic alcoholism and is a major cause of cirrhosis, a condition characterized by hardening of the liver. Phenol differs from other alcohols in causing damage to multiple organs. Finally, ethylene glycol, which is widely used as an antifreeze agent in automobiles, causes renal damage when it is biotransformed to oxalic acid, which crystallizes in the renal tubule."
http://www.britannica.com/bcom/eb/article/2/0,5716,119402+4,00.html
[This message has been edited by BigTrancer (edited 27 March 2000).]

interesting thing about ethylene glycol is the medical treatment of someone who has drunk it ... get them pissed ... it stops the liver from processing the E.G. into the bit that damages the kidneys ... apparently the liver prefers metabolising ethanol to just about anything else
------------------
--- "Baby, you're so strange you should be in real life!" --- Zaphod

ok.. i've gone off and done some thinking.. about methanol in alcohol i've just got to ask how??
Alcohol that we drink is not made synthetically, but by yeast.. and they produce only ethanol when fermenting.. not methanol. I don't see where it is possible to have methanol in alcohol such as beer, vodka.. whatever..
------------------
Drop everything and get your hands in the air!!

i was reading an article in new scientist about the breakdown of alcohol and i immediately thought of this thread.
"most drinks also contain traces of alcohols other than ethanol.......the most common alternative alcohol is methanol......some fruit based alcoholic drinks such as red wine and or plum brandy can contain as much as 2 per cent methanol..."
27 november 1999
new scientist
it didn't state anything about the production of methanol, i'd assumed it was due to fermentation, it might also have been produced by the breakdown of more complex organic compounds.