Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Sniffer dog review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michelle_Chung

Bluelighter
The NSW Ombudsman is doing a review of sniffer dogs. Over the past two years, we have been studying the way that police use the dogs, and consulting with different sections of the community. We are almost at the end of our research phase.

Soon, we will begin writing a report to Parliament which will present a "picture" of how sniffer dogs were used for the first two years of the Act. So far, the clubber/raver/dance community has been relatively quiet in coming forward with views and stories.

If I had to ask one question of people from this forum, it would be:

Has the use of sniffer dogs by NSW Police changed your behaviour in any way? And if so, how?

All comments are strictly confidential. You can post to this thread or email me at [email protected]. If you would prefer to talk, or if you have any questions, you can call me directly on (02) 9286-0973.

We have written a discussion paper on drug detection dogs. This discussion paper covers a range of issues and poses some more detailed questions. You can download it here. We would also appreciate your views in response to our discussion paper.

Last edited:
Yes. Obviously much more caution is taken with regards to using public transport, escpecially around the city. The use of sniffer dogs hasnt necessarily stopped me from taking drugs out, but we do drive the car more often wheareas before we most probably have used public transport. :\

this might be a good time to ask a question thats been nagging me.

can anyone confirm that sniffer dogs arent allowed into resturants of pubs and other eating areas because its a hygine issue ? ive always believed this and have bailed into a resturant a few times to avoid being sniffed. after reading that discussion paper though im not too sure.

its interesting how they need a warrant to conduct on the street searches.

ihaq4weed

I was at a rave some time ago, though I don't recall which one in particular.

A sniffer dog came up to me, sniffed me over, and then the police pulled me aside. They said something along the lines of "this drug detection dog has not found any illegal substances on you, but we need to take your name down for our records". I asked them why, they said it was routine.

I refused. They replied that it was illegal to refuse to provide my name and address to them. I told them that they were wrong. They threatened to fine me for refusing to do so.

Being the knowledgable law student that I am, I quoted the Crimes Act 1900 (NSW) s 563 which provides that police can only demand names and addresses where they know or reasonably suspect that you have information in connection with a crime that has occurred.

They turned around and walked off.

Neither of them had name-tags on, though one of them had a number and a station name instead.

It is my personal belief that sniffer dogs are used as an intimidation tactic in an attempt to get clubbers/ravers/etc to confess to drug use where they would otherwise not. Statistics repeatedly show that the dogs are only effective some 25% of the time (approx), and therefore police will often try and fool the average clubber into confessing their guilt.

More disconcerting is the pressure to supply my name that was applied to me, and the absence of accountability via police with appropriate identification on their shirts/jackets.

I believe that the use of sniffer dogs is a misallocation of resources. They are extremely expensive to train and to maintain, and most "catches" they net are in fact low-end recreational users, not the high-brow dealers that the government purports to find.

I am also aware of at least several occasions whereby people are consuming large amounts of drugs before they enter a venue in order to avoid sniffer dogs at the entrance. Such a practice runs contrary to the explicated harm-reduction policy that the NSW government has. I am aware of at least one hospitalisation that has resulted from this practice.

Sniffer dogs will not stop drugs being taken in clubs or at raves, but will merely force people to consume more drugs in a shorter time period in order to diminish the possibility of detection.

Furthermore the way in which searches are carried out is contrary to commonly held notions of what constitutes human rights. One of my friends was required to take off his shirt and pants in an alleyway near a rave because the police thought he was carring a large amount of drugs (i.e. he was required to strip to his underwear). To the best of my knowledge such a practice is contrary to the police guidelines on strip searches. At no point was he informed that he did not have to take off his clothes if he didn't want to.

VelocideX said:

Being the knowledgable law student that I am, I quoted the Crimes Act 1900 (NSW) s 563 which provides that police can only demand names and addresses where they know or reasonably suspect that you have information in connection with a crime that has occurred.

Velocide, are you aware of any QLD laws that are similar or even the same as this? is there a site u can refer me to... thanks

Velodex: Ive been recently reading up your rights in regards to searches in NSW.

Interesting read. I dont think an alleyway counts as being somewhere "privarte". Id get your friend to give the law society a call.

I found it interesting to know you can tell the cops you dont want to be searched and you want it recorded that you have stated this. But if they still insist, you must comply.

Michelle_Chung said:
Has the use of sniffer dogs by NSW Police changed your behaviour in any way? And if so, how?

yes.....i won't carry illegal drugs on person when travelling via public transport. i will also not walk the streets with drugs on me especially around railway stations.

instead i go by cab or drive only to my destination.

its done fuck-all to my drug taking habits.......only made me more cautious!

One last call for stories before I officially ask for this thread to be closed. Remember, you can always call or email me if you would rather not post to this site.

Michelle Chung

Yeah, it most definately has changed the ways in which my friends' behaviour is, regarding drug usage.

More than anything... they appear to think (in which I completely agree with them here) that taking even more excessive amounts of drugs before going out into a public place, will reduce their chances of getting caught with the illicit substance, there-fore also reducing the chances of getting caught and charged.

All of these people are NOT criminals in the typical sense, that is... aside from the fact that they have to obtain an illegal substance via:- means of illegitimate ways. But fear getting treated as a criminal for their recreational choices.

i refuse to take public transport if i'm carrying drugs, and i wont hang around outside too many places in the city either.

Re: Re: Sniffer dog review

banga said:
yes.....i won't carry illegal drugs on person when travelling via public transport. i will also not walk the streets with drugs on me especially around railway stations.

instead i go by cab or drive only to my destination.

its done fuck-all to my drug taking habits.......only made me more cautious!

instead you will risk the lives of yourself and others by driving home either intoxicated or excessivly tired.

i know plenty of people who used to be very responsible when it came to catching public transport to and from venues so they wouldn't have to drive home. The presence and risk of being caught by a sniffer dog now means they now take the risk and drive. Their use of drugs at such events has not changed.

Re: Re: Re: Sniffer dog review

Ossie said:

i know plenty of people who used to be very responsible when it came to catching public transport to and from venues so they wouldn't have to drive home. The presence and risk of being caught by a sniffer dog now means they now take the risk and drive. Their use of drugs at such events has not changed.

Same :\

*~*~*~*

I see it pretty unlikely you'd catch a dealer carrying on public transport... again, it's just the low end user who gets targeted.

The majority of users will not cease their usage due to sniffer dogs... they will however modify their usage in ways that can endanger them (such as driving under the influence, or consuming large amounts at once, as mentioned).

VelocideX said:
Sniffer dogs will not stop drugs being taken in clubs or at raves, but will merely force people to consume more drugs in a shorter time period in order to diminish the possibility of detection.

Also important to take note that sniffer dogs increase the amount of people who will purchase inside an event from an unknown source which coudl result in the dangerous consumption of unknown drugs rather than purchasing drugs from a trusted friend / source in a safer environment prior to attending the event.

Thanks to those who made a contribution, they have all been extremely valuable. They will help to make sure that your views on sniffer dogs will be given a voice.

I will now ask for this thread to be closed.

In the next few months, the NSW Ombudsman's Office will finish up the research and then draft a final report for the NSW Government. The final report will include our findings and recommendations about sniffer dogs.

If you would still like to make a contribution, you can always email or call me at the details above.

Thanks to everyone again! :)

Michelle

Status
Not open for further replies.