Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Gatecrasher - BL Meetup - Not a Pill Report

Brook

Bluelighter
Hi guys, hope all of you are well and safe.
Im going to be trying my best to get all you BL peeps to meetup.
Here is a e-mail I sent out to a bunch of my friends:
<snip>
Yes, its me again annoying all of you,
Easter will be 5 days this year, which means maximum time for partying and maximum time for recovery. Or maybe we just might need more time for recovery?
Anyway, what I am trying to do here is motivate all you guys to get tickets to Gatecrasher.
What is confirmed is that it is at Sydney Uni (last time it was at Home it was too packed), and that is going to be held on Saturday 22nd of April.
The rumours are that Carl Cox will be playing (the 3 deck master) and Hybrid will be playing also. But these are just rumours.
Anyway, what I am trying to do here is organise a bunch of people to go and party hearty together. I already know about 5 - 6 people who are keen on going, but everyone knows there is always fun to be had in a big group.
If I get enough people interested, then there are lots of options available for pre parties and after parties.
So peeps, e-mail me back, and we shall get this thing sorted eh?
Cheers guys,
Brook
PS You know you want to come along, you just know it. I can sense that finger now, just reaching for that reply button.
smile.gif

</snip>
So what do you reckon eh?
Lets get this thing rolling with ideas.
Brook
PS: Im starting this thread now, cause I think tickets go on sale this week!!
PPS: Sorry johnboy for the post in this subject field, but there is so much discussion in other one.
[This message has been edited by Brook (edited 13 March 2000).]

johnoboy? lol i really hope that was just a typo... and no i dont mind you posting a meetup in here,its pretty much free for all at the moment and will be till we get the foums split up.... that doesnt mean you all can get sloppy, post properly everyone!
------------------
.... he who makes a beast of himself, rids himself of the pain of being a man...

I'm all booked up that night, so I won't be joining you all - although I know that almost all my bluelight chums are going to be there. Have to say though, I agree with Candyflip about the crappiness of the venue choice in regards to meeting people. Is it in the Wentworth Building? That place sucks donkey's bollocks for a party. It really does. Many of you may remember my Freaky Loops report of yesteryear, saying just that, though perhaps not in so many words.
Personally, I would never go to a party there again, but if you guys were to meet up beforehand, I might join you for a drink, and then go off to my thingy and leave you guys to it. Keen?
Cat

Well I will be mr positive.
You can bet I will be there.
------------------
Life is short, Roll hard

Firstly, I will be there.
Secondly, the meetup. How 'bout we all meetup in Newtown at a pub beforehand so Pillcat can come too AND it'll be much easier to meetup with everyone, we'll probably all stand out like sore thumbs
smile.gif
Then we can all walk down to the Wentworth Building together find a chill out are together etc etc. We can do it 'proper'.
Thirdly, the venue. I am just SOOOOO glad it's not at home. Granted the W.B 'can' get a bit confusing and it DOES suck having to walk around in brightly lit corridoors to get from one room to the other (yes, yes, we KNOW Freaky Loops was shite) but look at it this way...
a) Gatecrasher is going to be a MUCH better production, Freaky Loops was pretty amateur in that respect, so it might be a little more organised;
b) There won't be nearly as many dj's playing, so my guess is there won't be like 8 rooms to choose between, and the rooms that they DO have set up should be closer together;
c) We won't have to fucking line up to get outside!
d) There'll be heaps more room to lay around, ie it'll be easier to find a chillout/meetup spot.
e) I think the crowd might be a little more 'friendly' than they were at the last Gatecrasher purely because of the venue. That might be a little presumptuous of me but i don't much like the crowd home pulls, so it'll be a relief for me.
Anyways...I'll see you all there!
Cheers,
mona.

Ok,
Due to all these rumours flying around about where/when who is playing, lets say pencil in gatecrasher as your easter partying venue, and then we shall chat more when gc, and 3d world gets their shit together and lets us know what is going on.
Cheers,
Brook

okay so we've all learnt something here, a bluelight meetup must be at a DEFINITIVE location of the party. not "behind this" or "in front of that".
:-]
i just got 3d world, gatecrasher is going to be at marourba parade? is this a good thing or a bad thing? perhaps i should skip this gatecrasher and go to easter LOVE instead?
Sydney HOME is the crossover club. it's for those commercial clubbers who want to try something a little *different* from the usual oxskank st skanky venue, but don't want venture too far out of their domain. i can enjoy home if there is a good party on, but it still remains a haven for those clubbers who they are keyed into the scene when they only know 2/3 dj's and haven't been to any other big parties...
no one in sydney has been to a party till they've been to melbourne :-]

What I was actually thinking about doing was getting everybody to meet at a certain house.
One of my friends has already offered his house up for sacrifice.
smile.gif

But now the location of the actual event *is* worrying me. I have no idea what this place at Maroubra is like at all.
What I do know that is tickets are on sale now, at $54 each.
Does anyone in Sydney live out that way? And maybe they could check it out?
Brook

Ok in reading this weeks 3d world i find that gatecrasher is on a 210-212 marine parade Maroubra Beach ( The SEALS club)not at the wenteworth building Syd UNI. The seals club is right on the beach and has a 24 hour licence, the drinks are verry cheap($2.35 southerrn and cokes) and it is pretty big though not as big as the wentworth building but as far as capacity goes they probly try to get it up to 3000.
also in the ad in 3d there was no mention of any imported DJs.
Prehaps it will be good having a party near the beach especialy if easter sunday is hot.

Ok,
I just went and picked up my copy of 3d world, and I will be picking up tickets tonight.
Here is the summarised goods from 3d:
<snip>
There is going to be 3 rooms and 3 levels blah blah blah.
This event runs for 10 hours.
Dj's are: Nervous, John Ferris, Mark James, Nik Fish, Pee Wee Ferris, Mark Dynamix, Bexta, Rob Milton, Mal Russel, Criag Obey, Declan and Jools.
Tickets are $60 +bf.
</snip>
To check out more, you know what to do.
Anywayz, I thought it cant hurt to get in early and get some tickets.
So dont mess around guys, go and grab those tickets!!
Brook

I really hate to be the wet blanket here - and feel free to treat this as a debate and argue with me, but WHY would you guys pay all that money to see a bunch of DJs you can see any night of the week, in a venue you're not familiar with, under the "gatecrasher" banner, which basically means nothing, and with a million billion other people? I know this really isn't my place to say, cos I'm not going, but don't you feel a little peeved that they call something "Gatecrasher", when it evidently has nothing to do with the real Gatecrasher?
I mean, ok, they'll play gatecrasher-style music. But isn't that kind of saying "Hey, Australian DJs can play this stuff, but it's not really legit unless we tag an international moniker to it".
I don't know, I just find it a little patronising to our scene, to Australian clubbers and to Australian DJs. If they pull a genuine Gatecrasher DJ out of their hat at the last minute, then I'll be a little more forgiving, but it seems unlikely at this late stage.
On the particular night in question, I'm going to a party at Soho with a bunch of my friends behind the decks - none of whom are name DJs, but all who should be - as well as a few local name DJs. I just think that we kind of owe it to our scene to support these kind of nights, rather than paying a hommage to a faraway club that hasn't even bothered supplying us with any of their DJs. You can bet they're making a tidy profit from the royalties that will come from using the Gatecrasher name, and I think that's sad.
We have an EXCELLENT bunch of DJs in this country, why do we have to pretend to be something we're not?
OK, had my rant. I do GENUINELY hope you guys have a great night - I know apples and mona had a blast last year. let me know how it goes. Oh, and please bite back to this post - I've already seen a good counter-argument, and I'd be keen to see what you guys think.
Cheers
Cat

Hey People,
I dunno why they didn't advertise who is playing but I know that:
* BINARY FINARY
* SCOTT BOND
* PETE WARDMAN
* MATT HARDWICK (who came last time) and someother people are playing.
I already have my tickets but there is just one slight problem, I think Sasha is coming down for that weekend aswell, if this is the case I am thinking of having one hell of an Easter Long weekend and going down to Melbourne to see him on the Sunday (if he is playing on the Sunday (please be playing on the sunday)). Anyone up for it??
d.
------------------
Attitude is something boring people made up!!!!

Oh.....ok then. Touche! Seems weird that they haven't advertised them though - wonder whether they've all 100% signed on the dotted line???
Cat

Ok,
I just heard from a pretty reliable source that Binary Finary are NOT playing here for GateCrasher same with Pete Wardman, but they are playing at the GC party in Melbourne. I might have to do the Melbourne thing after all, WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO, here I come boys and girls.
That would explain Binary FInary on the Thursday wouldn't it!!! Does anyone know where Pete Wardman is playing in Sydney???
d.
------------------
Attitude is something boring people made up!!!!

The only reason i am paying that much is for atmosphere and options basically.
tickets are bound to sell out early, so it would be good to have those options available.
and if it does come down to it, i can always sell them pretty easily as well.
i spose think if ny2k or home at bondi - people go there to have a damn good time, so the crowd is pumped. people who will be going to gc, should be going to have a huge time as well.
i mean, u can go to the palladium, club 77, any week of the year, i spose im just paying for that privlege to go to something different?
food for thought,
Brook

AAAAARRRGGGHHH!!!
Piiiiiiiiiilllcaaaaaaaaaat!
I already sorta didn't want to go.. I mean, I didn't REALLY have a blast at the last one because it was too hot, way too packed and I didn't really (and still don't) like the Gatecrasher music.
I don't know any of the Internationals that are playing (except for the ones that played at the last party 'Matt Hardwick')and I don't like the idea of trekking out to Maroubra to see the whole shebang.
BUT : I think the production/atmosphere will be worth seeing. I go out purely for the music when I go to clubs like 77 ... This time I'm doing something different. I haven't experienced a full on hyped up vibe in ages (and that ALWAYS makes the night and the music SO much more exciting), I'm going to meet with other Bluelighers, I'm going to dress up (yay!) and I get to hang with apples one last time.
But anyway, apart from that, Pillcat, I really don't see why they would advertise this as a Gatecrasher party without having any International Gatecrasher DJ's playing, I mean it's seems like a bit TOO obvious a ploy to pull the punters yeah? Everyone expects Internationals (dented seems to KNOW they're coming) and I think it's probably a little more patronising for YOU to insinuate that us Aussie clubbers would fall for their plan (ie pulling the punters with a 'name'). I know they didn't properly announce the Internationals for the last party until like a week before, but they ALWAYS said there would be internationals playing. So with dented's reassurance that there will be Internationals (as there was last time), I think your argument has been foiled.
I mean, what are we supposed to do? NEVER go see internationals in the name of supporting our own? I'm sure we all realise that the local scene has plenty of talent, and I'm also pretty sure that MANY of us support it regularly.
Anyway, apples has convinced me that the production is worth seeing, even if i don't FULLY appreciate the music and it'll kind of be our last big night to party together (*sniff*). I had kind of made up my mind that I didn't want to go, but I've been convinced otherwise...The atmosphere will be awesome and that's worth a lot, maybe not $60- but I would pay ten times more than that to have one last hurrah with apples
smile.gif
and I know she desperately wants to go.
So I guess my attitude is, I spend a fair bit of my party time supporting local Sydney DJ's every other weekend of the year. I'm paying $60- for the experience, so I'm going to go, not whinge, be open minded about the music and have one bloody hell of a huge one with my best mate and whole heap of other Bluelighters. There's plenty of time to support the local scene (and you KNOW I do).
Cheers,
mona.
PS. PILLCAT : I think James has probably gotten in your ear a little bit too yeah? Anyway, wish the boys luck for me, I know they'll put on a good show.. have fun at soho (I'm assuming it's upstairs yeah?) and I'll talk to you soon.

Right with you there Mona.
How much is a good time worth?
$20? $40?
Look at Renaisance. I paid $54 for that, and ended having one of the best clubbing expierences ever.
How much is that worth?
Lets face it. At the moment, there is a *very good* line up of locals. And all these guys are going to be pumped to put on good sets.
Anyway, I know im going to have a good time. I hope everyone else over Easter does as well.
smile.gif

Cheers for beers,
Brook

I agree wholeheartedly to what Pillcat says, that was exactly my reasons why not attending B2B2...........
------------------
"If you can't hear the shit going on around you, then the music is just fine!!"

Hmmm....I'm beginning to not trust my judgment on these things. I haven't enjoyed the past few events I've been to. I thought Renaissance was....erm.....boring.
How the hell are we going to get to Maroubra? And if there's no internationals playing I'll be pissed. Maybe I'll buy my tickets and decide later.
Does anyone have any info on Love at Easter?
miss apple