Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Perth cops steal confiscated marijuana

my innerself

Bluelighter
Cannabis theft from WA police station
12:06 AEST Thu Aug 5 2004

Police internal affairs investigators are examining how $15,000 worth of seized cannabis was stolen from a secure holding room at a West Australian police station.

The 2.2 kilograms of drugs were seized in a police raid on July 23 before being stored in the designated drug holding room at Fremantle police station.

Police said the haul was last sighted about 6.30pm (WST) last Friday, but was found to be missing about 9am on Monday during a routine audit procedure.

The cannabis was contained in five drug movement envelopes.

Assistant WA Police Commissioner of Professional Standards Graeme Lienert confirmed an intensive internal investigation was under way.

"This is an extremely serious matter and I can assure the public that no stone will be left unturned in our efforts to find out how the cannabis was removed from the drug holding room," Mr Lienert said.

Mr Lienert admitted it was likely the theft was an inside job.

"To steal from that location you've either got to take a great risk or you've got to know what the operating procedures are or know someone inside the system," he was quoted as telling The West Australian newspaper.

All police internal investigations are overseen by the Corruption and Crime Commission (CCC) and it will be provided with a report at the conclusion of the inquiry.

The drug theft is the latest in a damaging run of incidents involving Fremantle police.

Six detectives and another officer, all from Fremantle, are still awaiting disciplinary action after allegedly clashing with United States exchange students following a drinking session at a Fremantle night spot in May.

Police have already dropped an assault charge against 20-year-old US student Adam Rieck, and were forced to apologise to the US consulate his university.

Meanwhile, a sacked Fremantle police officer will face Perth Court of Petty Sessions on corruption and aggravated burglary charges.

Gary Edward Fitzgerald, a former senior constable based in Fremantle, was arrested in June following a joint operation involving internal investigators and the WA's Corruption and Crime Commission.

Police will allege 34-year-old Fitzgerald, who was on duty and partly in uniform at the time of his arrest, intended to steal drug money from a residence in northern Perth but his plan was thwarted by internal affairs investigators.

Well you cant blame them, I guess there only human after all. So, I wonder how many cops are bluelighters?

assuming it was primo 2 kg = 4.4 pounds so $15000 probably isn't far off the mark.. in the scheme of things its not really that much, you'd think the crooked cops would wait till there was more in there before potentially ruining his/her life.

It shouldn't be a problem, all they need to do is look around Freo cop shop and spot the police officers who...

1. Have red bloodshot eyes
2. Suggest they go get pizza or a kebab
3. Refer to superior officers as "dude"

"This is an extremely serious matter and I can assure the public that no stone will be left unturned...

shouldn't that be stoner?? ...yeah yeah, cheap joke... =D

[Edit: Off-topic material removed. BigTrancer]

Last edited by a moderator:
Prices schmices! Jeez...wonder if it's possible for an article to be posted without all the pointless price speculation.

As for the story, it's a bit blatant taking the whole stash.

[ Edit: or maybe they didn't, either way it's a fair bit in one go. ]

Last edited:
I dunno, have no idea why people are just assuming that it was the cops that DID actually steal the dope (I mean... it COULD be.)

But, how do we know the janitor (or someone like that.) wasn't involved? Why is it that most people just LIKE to assume that the cops are always the bad guys?

Sure there'd be quiet a few corrupt officers around Australia (predominantly Sydney)... I mean, you DO get your good and bad everywhere. But, lets just remember... not all cops are "pigs".

P.S. NO, I'm not a copper. I just like to respect most of them, due to the fact without a Justice System you nor myself... just very well might not be sitting here this moment typing ALIVE!! :)

Thread cleaned.

Thread topic: Article "Cannabis theft from WA Police station"... not "give your opinion on why all cops are pigs."

Please post on-topic, as people posting one after another their opinion on police as people or members of society is simply a waste of space and adds nothing to the discussion.

BigTrancer :)

I just wish the cops who stole all the mull can steal the next big haul of ecstacy that the polive seize, so they can make it back into circulation. :)

I don't know for a fact the cops stole this, Id belive it though. Back in the 90's I've been in the car with heroin dealers around fremantle on three occasions where a particular detective would do this: pull over dealer, find dope and about $500-$2500 cash, call him a fucking junkie scum, say "you wont be needing this" take his money and let him keep his dope. Same thing a week later. The time he didn't have any heroin he was violently run out of Fremanlte and went underground in Balga somewhere in the slums....