Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Opium Poppy Cultivation and Heroin Processing in Southeast Asia

Urbanhog

Bluelighter
I was looking through the DEA's website and I stumbled into a interesting link about Opium Poppy Cultivation and Heroin Processing in Southeast Asia

DEA's Opium/Heroin Link.............

I am sure most of us knows most of the information from the Erowid's site but I was surprised to see DEA gave some over detailed information.

Just thought share this link here. :D

Cheers,

Urbie %)

I accidently stumbles across that article myself a few months ago, and let me say this, FUCKING EXCELLENT DETAILED DESCRIPTION!!

It is probably the best and most informative article I have come across regarding Opium/Poppy/Heroin production and considering living in Australia, the majority of our smack comes from the relatively close South-East Asian countries... it sort of helps, knowing why the shit is so expensive and knowing all the trouble and transporting the gear goes through.

It explains really well how the people of Laos and Burma (mostly innocent peasantry, that have no other sources for income, or food) use Opium farming and Opium itself as a sort of "Currency" in their rather shambled system over there.

I'd imagine most of the farmers wouldn't even know how illegal it is, as alot of them are born into the profession as Opium Cultivation has been a Thai/Burmese specialty for hundreds of years.

Anyone know what the consequences for these people are if they were to get caught, would they be a little more leniant due to the fact of their ignorance and neglection through living in such isolated conditions?

Anyone know what the consequences for these people are if they were to get caught, would they be a little more leniant due to the fact of their ignorance and neglection through living in such isolated conditions?

Quite possibly not.... And there-in lies a certain irony. In 3rd world countries like Burma, a good percentage of people committing these "crimes" are doing so to survive (at least relative to the lifestyles we know and love). Yet, - to quote a Steely Dan phrase- "Here in the Western World" the "need" mostly pertains to greed. Yet, in terms of the ethical principles underlying motivation, the penalties very seldom equate, .

Very interesting article.

I like to chase my gear, so I was very interested in the discussion of the difference between no3 (smokable) and no4 (injectable) heroin.

I did previously understand at a basic level how caffeine in no3 heroin aids release of the drug when it is smoked.

I often wondered why some gear seemed more 'euphoric' than other gear - maybe b/c it is the (correct) smokable form. Unfortunately, I am unaware of any way of easily distinguishing no3 from no4. Any views?

You know, this may seem just a tad off-topic, but it kind of is in a way relevant to what receptorless was saying.

I have not once come across the "brown tar" Heroin here in Melbourne, I hear it is almost non-existant all across Australia. In America on the other hand... it's apparantly rampant and in alot of the states in the U.S(of A) the users have trouble coming across the "injectable" gear.

What I was wondering... why is the brown tar gear preffered for smoking? Does it somehow have more potent effects when smoked, or...??

Ohhh and as I understand it... most American backpackers and Pommy backbackers I have come across claim that our gear shits all over the Heroin from over their way.
Before I heard this, I thought it was quiet the opposite.

just a side story on the legal growing areas in tasmania. i had a teacher in high school who pulled off the side of the road, in the middle of nowhere he thought, to take a piss in the bushes. within three minutes two black jeeps with fully armed security guards jump out and begin interrogating him. turns out he was next to a poppy plantation
so peeps, the moral is the gov guards its heroin just as much as the drug lords, oh and dont stop anywhere in tasmania.

also forgot to mention that it is pretty well known that singapore would not be a city if it wasnt the major port from which se asian heroin is exported from

also forgot to mention that it is pretty well known that singapore would not be a city if it wasnt the major port from which se asian heroin is exported from

Is Singapore still a hotbed for narcotic dealings? It seems incredibly improbable that this is still the case, particularly in relation to the actual trafficking of the drug. I have heard of a money laundering and a drug investment relationship between Burma and Singapore flourishing in the past but is this relationship still in effect. Singapore is now notorious for its Draconian and brutal drug laws, especially in regards to heroin importation. Anything upwards of 50grams (or it might be even less) can result in life imprisonment if convicted, or public execution in the form of hanging. Many foreigners have been executed in this city without favour or lenience. In fact a 27 year old Melbourne man is currently waiting sentencing for attempting to import approx 750 grams of Heroin through Changi airport while transferring onto a flight for Oz. His chances of survival are very slim.

I cant imagine that Singapore would be a place for export at all anymore. I can understand that maybe some mules are forced to switch planes at Changi airport to reach their greater destination, but i imagine this would be avoided at all costs. I am guessing Singapore's ports and cargo transportation were once an important place for narcotic trade - it is, afterall the busiest port in the world. But even still, the deterrents are there, and i for one could not picture myself, in the most dire of needs, desparation or withdrawals, attempting to traffic heroin through Singapore.

I always thought Hong Kong has been both in the past and currently the hotbed for SE Asian narcotic trade. Hong Kong, definately owes its history and importance to the origins of the Chinese Opium cultivation that occurred in the mid nineteenth century. The British used Hong Kong as the major distribution point for opium trade, and as part of the settlement that ended the second Opium War in 1842, Hong Kong was ceded over to British as a form of repatriation. Their rule lasted over 150 years and was finally handed back to China in 1997 as a Special Administration enclave. I believe Hong Kong is still notorious for its clandestine organised crime and narcotic trade. Im not entirely sure though, anyone?

I find it very fascinating to learn about the trade, customs and history of this drug and i definately recommend to anyone also interseted, to visit the Golden Triangle region in Norther Thailand, Laos & Burma. There are very interesting musuems on the history of opium, alot of culture and sometimes poppy fields that you can visit.

Yes - I've never seen or heard of black tar or brown over here. Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra... its always white SEA that i've seen. This is good! I think it is generally accepted that SEA in its unadulterated form is much stronger than tar or brown.

I would assume that even no4 SEA heroin ('injectable' heroin according to the DEA) would be better for smoking than brown (generally speaking) for this very reason. That is, perhaps brown is labelled as smoking heroin mainly because of is low purity, rather than any special process designed to improve the rush when smoked, such as addition of caffeine.

So... if the SEA heroin no3 and no4 distinction is in fact real, which is more common in Oz?; and could chasers add caffeine to their gear to get a better hit? Not the easiest of questions to answer, I know...

twonk said:
Is Singapore still a hotbed for narcotic dealings? It seems incredibly improbable that this is still the case, particularly in relation to the actual trafficking of the drug. I have heard of a money laundering and a drug investment relationship between Burma and Singapore flourishing in the past but is this relationship still in effect. Singapore is now notorious for its Draconian and brutal drug laws, especially in regards to heroin importation. Anything upwards of 50grams (or it might be even less) can result in life imprisonment if convicted, or public execution in the form of hanging. Many foreigners have been executed in this city without favour or lenience. In fact a 27 year old Melbourne man is currently waiting sentencing for attempting to import approx 750 grams of Heroin through Changi airport while transferring onto a flight for Oz. His chances of survival are very slim.

I cant imagine that Singapore would be a place for export at all anymore. I can understand that maybe some mules are forced to switch planes at Changi airport to reach their greater destination, but i imagine this would be avoided at all costs. I am guessing Singapore's ports and cargo transportation were once an important place for narcotic trade - it is, afterall the busiest port in the world. But even still, the deterrents are there, and i for one could not picture myself, in the most dire of needs, desparation or withdrawals, attempting to traffic heroin through Singapore.

I always thought Hong Kong has been both in the past and currently the hotbed for SE Asian narcotic trade. Hong Kong, definately owes its history and importance to the origins of the Chinese Opium cultivation that occurred in the mid nineteenth century. The British used Hong Kong as the major distribution point for opium trade, and as part of the settlement that ended the second Opium War in 1842, Hong Kong was ceded over to British as a form of repatriation. Their rule lasted over 150 years and was finally handed back to China in 1997 as a Special Administration enclave. I believe Hong Kong is still notorious for its clandestine organised crime and narcotic trade. Im not entirely sure though, anyone?

I find it very fascinating to learn about the trade, customs and history of this drug and i definately recommend to anyone also interseted, to visit the Golden Triangle region in Norther Thailand, Laos & Burma. There are very interesting musuems on the history of opium, alot of culture and sometimes poppy fields that you can visit.

yeah dont know about anymore, but what i was saying is that its formation and success has a lot to do with its role as a major port city and place from which drugs where exported. but i belive that a major port like singapore so close to these areas would still play a big part in the process.

Yeah... I'd say alot of the drug "kingpins" would have the Singaporian(is that a term??) officials in their back pocket anyways.

In countries like these, money and status does tend to make the "powerful" almost invincible.