Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Herald-Sun 18 Jul 04: Kids caught in drugs misery

BigTrancer

Bluelight Crew
Kids caught in drugs misery
By Jessica Lawrence
18jul04

A STAGGERING number of young people have been caught up in a flood of hard drugs on Brisbane's streets, campaigners say.

New figures from welfare groups reveal the shocking truth behind Queensland's worsening youth crisis. Youth workers say there has been a huge increase in the number of young people using heroin in the past three months.

They say more are becoming homeless through abuse and violence, with most turning to illicit and legal drugs to cope.

And they warn the average age of kids in crisis seeking help is getting younger.

Figures from Brisbane Youth Service's Drug and Alcohol Survey from December 2003 – their most recent – show the earliest age of first-time intravenous drug use is now just eight; for first-time solvents-sniffers it's seven.

And they reveal a despairing lack of services available to young homeless people and those addicted to drugs.

There are only 15 beds available in supervised accommodation in Brisbane for homeless youth, catering for a population estimated to be at least 350.

The most common drugs used are solvents, marijuana, speed (amphetamines), prescription pills and heroin.

Of the youths surveyed, 70 per cent were injecting drugs such as heroin, with the average age of first-time drug users 14½.

The survey interviewed 50 youths aged between 12 and 25. Most were homeless and relied on Youth Allowance for income.

One was introduced to injecting drugs by a parent. Half had parents who were drug users.

Brisbane Youth Services director Michael Tansky said the organisation was providing food, showers and support to about 200 youngsters every month.

Survey results found 60 per cent of the drug users had sought help for their addiction. However, Mr Tansky said, a lack of resources for young people addicted to drugs meant many were fending for themselves.

"The problem of young kids injecting drugs is getting worse . . . and problematic drug use is getting worse," Mr Tansky said. "But we don't have anywhere to place children and teenagers.

"There are not enough foster carers, but there are no alternatives and there is very little supervised residential care. These kids are at risk from blood-borne infections and accidental overdose.

"Of the 42 per cent of those surveyed who had used a dirty needle, the main reason stated was that they didn't have access to clean syringes.

"They're taking drugs as a way of coping because they are traumatised . . . and they get into a pattern which is habitual and destructive.

"And we are seeing a lot more females coming to us for assistance than we have in the past, and more are becoming pregnant and having children."

Salvation Army Youth Outreach Centre spokeswoman Chris Cohen said heroin use was "going through the roof".

Ms Cohen said the centre had seen a 20 per cent increase in the past five months in the numbers of street kids injecting drugs.

Centre workers were collecting up to 100 needles every two days from locations in the city centre.

"Six months ago there was a little bit of use of (heroin) amongst teenagers, but speed was the preferred drug.

Now it's unbelievable the number of kids aged 15 to 19 who are using heroin.

"We are seriously concerned. These are not just kids from violent backgrounds, but kids from good homes.

"There are girls on the street who are pregnant and even those who've got their babies with them. It's not unusual to have mums as young as 14 and 15."

The survey results also show young people are turning to crime and prostitution to support their habits.

Almost 40 per cent have dealt drugs, 6 per cent have engaged in prostitution, almost 50 per cent have stolen and 40 per cent have committed break and enters.

Thirty per cent have spent time in jail or detention for drug-related offences.

Mr Tansky said young people who became homeless and used drugs often were exposed to violence and abuse within the home.

Many homeless kids came from the outer suburbs and regional areas and had no social network to support them when their home environment broke down.

"Kids believe it's their fault and they can't run away, so the way they cope is to switch off," Mr Tansky said.

"They're not growing up in safe family environments.

"Their ability to grow up normally is affected.

"They get expelled from school. Then they end up on the streets mixing with other kids in the same boat, unsupervised. They become homeless and then are introduced to a drug-using culture as a means of survival and coping."

The youth workers called for an urgent review of services available to young people in crisis, labelling the situation "scandalous".

"Some homeless kids are severely disturbed and need a high level of supervision," Mr Tansky said. "Fostering is not always appropriate for teenagers.

"Youth shelters only offer a short-term stay and won't take them if they are drug users.

"With those who are addicted to drugs, it's difficult to get them in to adult facilities.

"We need receiving and assessment centres in every state, and then ways of putting these children into safe environments.

"It's only then they can start to think about finishing their education or doing a traineeship."

To Ms Cohen, the situation is "just nuts" and there seems to be zero interest in providing support.

"We need to teach these kids life skills and help them re-enter the community.

"Otherwise they are going to turn into the older homeless people that we also see on our streets."

From: http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,10170140%5E421,00.html

BigTrancer :)

wow :| i am actually in the center of brisbane city 7 days a week and while i see these homeless kids around i was in no way under the impression that there were 13 year olds shooting heroin. this is disturbing news but i cant help but find it to be somewhat misleading. i personally know some of these homeless youths and theres certainly no signs of heroin use with them. they dont have any money for it. if anything they are dropping pills but not anything much harder than that.

im gonna ask around and see if this stuff is true. i certainly hope it is not..

I am not surprised.

It's pretty widespread in the outter-Brisbane suburbs like Deception Bay, Scarborough, Loganlea and towards Ipswich. There's a lot of young people shooting up substances these days, because it's becoming so cheap. and they end up addicted to it.

But it's not just the homeless, I have heard tales from my workmates that went to private schools and how they witnessed classmates that were shooting up on weekends because they often had big pocket money from their rich parents to blow on drugs.

Last edited by a moderator:
people as young as that only have access to heroin because it is part of the 'street' culture most homless people have to deal with. If heroin was legalised and controlled you will find that the criminals and dealers that make all the money wont have anything to sell and kids will no longer have to turn to them. Heroin is legalised and controlled in switzerland and addicts are treated as equals to alcoholics and they are still able to take care of themselves, their families and hold down jobs because the cost of their drug is nothing.

drugfuked said:
they dont have any money for it. if anything they are dropping pills but not anything much harder than that.

i think youll find it would cost them more to get high off one pill than what they would pay for a smallbaggie of heroin.
i used to work next to an alleyway many of these youths hung out in in the city and also where the soup van was at king george square was and AFAIK most of them were on prescription drugs and the obvious one, chroming, some smoked pot. generally, they would get high on anything, whatever thy could get their hands on.

As Urbie said drug use amongst this minority group is very widespread throughout Brisbane.

the reason for the article being in todays paper i couldnt quite work out though.
pg.4 or something it was on, dont quite remember. apart form making people aware of whats going on and to open some peoples eyes up to the problem, i really couldnt see a point.
they are constantly trying to 'fix' the drug/homeless youth problem in Brisbane.
I would like to see an article where something has been done and we can see results in helping these kids off the streets more.

...... accommodation in Brisbane for homeless youth, catering for a population estimated to be at least 350.

350, what a rediculous under-estimate.
as a reference i offer [name deleted]'s "suburban campers" who collect and distribute blankets and sleeping bags to the homeless in victoria. theyve helped out over a thousand young people on the streets, and its just the tip of the iceberg... and as a former street kid i expect he knows something about this. although brizzy is a third the size of melbs i suspect that the problem is far larger than suggested. "invisibility" is a skill the homeless develop thru necessity.

Last edited:
Being a Sydney-sider, I dont have '1st hand' experiance with the brissy scene, but a Friends sister just moved down from brissy to get away from it all....shes been shooting for 5 years and is only 20....It saddens me to see the state she can get herself in when she dosnt get a fix, even though her dosages and getting lower and lower, and father apart, when she needs a hit.....get out of her way....I dont see why some many younger people in one city are homeless...is life really better in Sydney, or was I just raised by 'good parents' ect??

morphee said:
Being a Sydney-sider, I dont have '1st hand' experiance with the brissy scene, but a Friends sister just moved down from brissy to get away from it all....shes been shooting for 5 years and is only 20....It saddens me to see the state she can get herself in when she dosnt get a fix, even though her dosages and getting lower and lower, and father apart, when she needs a hit.....get out of her way....I dont see why some many younger people in one city are homeless...is life really better in Sydney, or was I just raised by 'good parents' ect??

It's no better anywhere on the east coast, infact the increse in heroin usage is happening in Melb atm as well. I'm not really sure about anywhere else, but I imagine Sydney would have exactly the same problems.

Moving away to another city isn't always the solution to the problem as it's quite easy to find hookups wherever you are. To want to stop you really really have to stop, and be strong about it, and even then sometimes that's not enough.

As for how people were brought up, well even the most well brought up kids can get caught in the ugly cycle of addiction. Sometimes it's not actually the parents fault, sometimes it's more a case of curiosity killed the cat...

pekkie said:
Moving away to another city isn't always the solution to the problem as it's quite easy to find hookups wherever you are. To want to stop you really really have to stop, and be strong about it, and even then sometimes that's not enough.

It can help as far as getting away from a group of people and a certain scene.

I have noticed used syringes in the gutters in Melb a little more recently. I live in a bit of a hot spot for H use. Take that as a gauge as you will.

Doodle said:
It can help as far as getting away from a group of people and a certain scene.

I have noticed used syringes in the gutters in Melb a little more recently. I live in a bit of a hot spot for H use. Take that as a gauge as you will.

I agree with you there. :) I guess different things work for different people? *shrug*

Kids as young as 7 years old, shooting Heroin?? What the fuck is all that about??
While, I know that it definately does happen, I'd say it wouldn't be a widespread thing with kids as young as this.

If I was 7, I wouldn't even know how to use a syringe (Heck, I probably wouldn't even know how to now) let alone shoot from it every day. This is definately not a good thing... but I'd say it would be in extremely rare circumstances.

Most people at the age of 30+ that have steady, good-paying jobs struggle supporting their habit, where the fuck would a 7 year old find the resources to get the money for his/her next hit??

Ohh, yeah... this goes out to those drug dealers that actually have stooped so low as to sell any form of drug to a 7 year old. I hope I see you dealing drugs to kids this age in front of me... I don't care if you carry knives guns, or whatever!! I will kill you!!

Drug Survey Results

In joining this discussion we would like to introduce ourselves as the authors of the drug survey that was used in this article. We run the Drug Survey every 6 months and the results are then used to assist us in our delivery of service to young people who access our service. The figures shown in the report are in fact very specific to BYS' primary target group - young people between the ages of 12 and 25 years of age who are homeless or at risk of homelessness in inner Brisbane City.

A significant number of the young people who access this service use drugs to varying degrees and with only two drug intervention workers at the service we must be creative in the ways that we deliver services. We tend to place a lot of emphasis on the principles of harm reduction and peer education/support.

Results such as the 7yr old injecting heroin are true, however tend to thankfully be one offs - in this instance the young person was initiated into injecting via a parent as a means of behaviour control. A number of the young people who do have contact with BYS are generational street people.

In relationship to the types of drugs that young homeless people use - it's not just pills (morphine is one of the largest used at present) but tends to be amphetamines, heroin, inhalants, alcohol, cannabis and any other substance that alters one's state of mind. Many young people indicate that their preferred drug of choice tends to be cannabis. As for obtaining the financial means to purchase such drugs many young people engage in criminal activities such as break and enters or armed robbery. Another means of gaining drugs, accommodation et al is via engaging in either paid or opportunistic sex work (sex for favours). Our young people are not "bad" they are using survival techniques to get want they want/need.

One of the only ways that these issues will be dealt with is by addressing the underlying systemic causes of homelessness such as family breakdown, sexual and physical violence, poverty, societial and familial pressures around developmental issues.

Keep up this discussion - we need more of it!

suburbs like Deception Bay
D-Bay represent! :D Seriously though... I've hung around and shot up meth/heroin/coke with people as young as 15 in D-bay (I was only 16 before anyone gets on there high horse)... and although it's pretty sad, these people aren't new to the scene, many have been shooting up for years (from as young as 12-13).

I don't know why this is a big suprise. With the avaliability of high purity heroin (Australia's gear is just amazing) and syringes all over Queensland, it's no wonder the homeless are turning to this magic fix-all-your-problems drug.

I shall hopefully be studying Social Work next year at University, and my ultimate goal is to work in this type of field, so hold on kids =D

Last edited:
Most people at the age of 30+ that have steady, good-paying jobs struggle supporting their habit, where the fuck would a 7 year old find the resources to get the money for his/her next hit??

- Exactly. Within only a few months my habit was costing me $1,000 a week. Heroin is only cheap if you use it recreationally.