• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Nitrous Bulbs

Nitrous oxide from the dentist is reasonably inert and harmless. Nitrous bulbs however are not clinical grade but industrial grade and very impure. There are 5 oxides of nitrogen and only one of them should be injested. One oxide actually damages the immune system and nerve transmission. Industrial grade nitrous contains a mix of all of these oxides as well as toxic metals.
Avoid the cream whipping bulbs and go for clinical grade from CIG. A "D" size canister is luggable and can be rented for a year and refilled. Make sure you sound legitimate tho as they may not let you have it.
Happy new year everyone!

Oh another thing - some of the effects of having nitrous oxide is not the gas itself but Oxygen deprivation. make sure to have lots of air with it (even hyperventilate before hand) Otherwise some of that effect you are feeling could be brain damage.
Stay healthy crew!

regarding nitrous bulbs.
i've done lots of cream bulbs and haven't had a problem with them.
what do you mean by "oxides" of nitrogen? and what are the 5, can you name them?
and lastly, where are people supposed to get the clinical grade of N20?

I cant remember all of the 5 oxides (NO,N20,NO2 were some I think there is an N2O3...) They are however all listed in any copy of "SI Chemical Data" which every school/university/lab would have. My copy is in storage at my parents. Data on various Nitrous Oxides is undoubtedly online somewhere, and is well worth looking up if you are into Nitrous. In Australia CIG will sell you clinical grade nitrous, its not illegal, you just have to have a company name, open an account with them and sound legitimate. Hire a canister and have it filled. i did it myself a few years ago. Great for parties, and the effect is noticeably different from Cream bulbs.

Doesn't the N2O in cream bulbs have to be of food grade or something? If they're of a grade that "should not be ingested", why are they being used to whip cream (especially if, as you claim, they contain "toxic metals")?
"The reason why nitrous oxide is used as a propellant is that it dissolves in the liquid cream. When the cream escapes from the can, the gas expands and in doing so whips the cream into a foam." (Erowid)
They would make sure that its damn pure if its actually being dissolved into the cream.
One site labels nitrous a "pure gas", and sells one grade of N2O for all uses: "Used as an anesthetic, a leak detection fluid and as an oxidizing gas. It is also used in pressure packaging of foods such as whipped cream." (Airgas)
I've been researching this a bit in my bf's chemistry textbook, and it lists 4 oxides of nitrogen:
Dinitrogen monoxide (our beloved nitrous oxide, N2O)
Nitrogen dioxide (NO2) - brown in colour.
Nitrogen monoxide (nitric oxide, NO) - immediately oxidizes in air to produce NO2 (see above).
Dinitrogen trioxide (N2O3) - a blue liquid that dissociates to gaseous NO and NO2, and N2O5 (dinitrogen pentoxide) which is a solid ( so you'd get crystals).
You cannot mix all of those oxides and come up with N2O (I know nothing about chemistry, but from the little I've read in this book, its obvious), and adding "toxic metals" would surely cause more reactions with the gases.
I hope that makes a bit of sense...I've never had brown gas come from bulbs, or crystals of any kind other than ice forming around the metal of the cream whipper nozzle. I was always under the impression that nitrous used in cars was of a lower grade than that which is used for bulbs and anaesthesia, but I cannot find anything that says even that is true. I think its safe to assume that the nitrous in bulbs is of a quality fit for inhalation.
Well, that's my ramble for tonight...keep on nanging
smile.gif
smile.gif

------------------
the bluelighter formerly known as Joelle
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by E Bee (edited 21 December 1999).]
[This message has been edited by E Bee (edited 21 December 1999).]

unfortunately NO2 when inhaled takes the place of oxygen in red blood cells. so all the other crap in bulbs shouldnt really be a worry.......the problem is oxygen deprivation to the brain which as we all know will cause irreversible brain damage.
but hey....we are all risk takers here so really what does it matter....do it in moderation and it wont hurt you.

The different gasses are not mixed to make nitrous, they are impurities in its creation. Im pretty sure the article about one of these impurities affecting the immune system was in New Scientist. Also note that Nitrous use depletes the body of Vitamin B12, so keep the multivitamins at hand. Watch out also for the brand made in Hungary, I have had fine black particles come out of this brand (Clover?)which stained my T-shirt so badly it wont wash out. (and I inhaled dozens of these? - argh!) Since it is not technically a food just a whipping agent and preservative, what health regulations are obeyed especially in Hungary? Hmmmm.

no, its not a food, but it is used in the food, so there would have to be controls on it.
spazmoe: one site (erowid I think) said that you need at least 20% oxygen when inhaling nitrous, so as long as you take a fairly deep breath with it, it should be fine.
------------------
the bluelighter formerly known as Joelle :)

I know we would all LIKE TO BELIEVE that Nitrous from cream bulbs is completely harmless, and that corporations always have the consumers health utmost on their minds, especially with products that are not used for the intended purpose. But the truth is usually a much grayer area. Yes of course smoking is safe, lead doesnt harm you, and yes "Ebee" there definitely are no contaminents in cream whipper nitrous bulbs.
I know my 2 years of Chemistry at Uni. doesnt mean anything especially since I work in a completely different science, but again I state my subjective and verifyable findings.
*Nitrous from cream bulbs tastes as much like Clinical grade nitrous, as water does to milk.
*Get a clean washed cream bulb machine, bulb through say 4 dozen boxes of bulbs (especially imported bulbs - Clover). Open the bulber and wipe your finger inside the whipper. A thick black grime of oily fine particles is deposited in the whipper, and can be easily collected on your finger. Sometimes I have even had small metallic particles which had a dull shine like lead, or perhaps the metal from seal on the bulb.
*Inhaling Nitrous without oxygen will kill your brain cells (dont try this at home). Medically it is mixed with pure oxygen, otherwise use 5 times as much normal air (which is only 20% Oxygen).
Further research at : http://www.resort.com/~banshee/Info/N2O/
Has disclosed all sorts of other issues including:
*unsubstiated reports of lead in cream bulbs
*impurities in the production of the gas including NO2, NO, NH3
*Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) is extremely toxic, leading to the rapid destruction of lung tissue, even if inhaled in small quantities (from memory this was the compound which also affected the immune system) Nitrogen Dioxide damage to the lungs is permanent and cumulative. http://www.resort.com/~banshee/Info/N2O/nitrous.synthesis.html
*"Occasionally, certain anesthetic agents become misused drugs. Nitrous oxide is an example. A gas of low anesthetic potency, it is incapable of inducing deep levels of anesthesia if an adequate oxygen concentration is maintained. Nitrous oxide induces a state of behavioral disinhibition,analgesia, and euphoria. One of the problems occasionally encountered when nitrous oxide is used for recreational purposes is that, unless the compound is administered with at least 20 percent oxygen, hypoxia (decreased oxygen content of the blood) can be induced. But in order to achieve high enough concentrations of nitrous oxide to get a good behavioral effect, concentrations of 50 percent or greater must be inhaled. If such concentrations are mixed with room air, inhaled oxygen concentartions drop to low levels and the hypoxia may result in irreversible brain damage."
(E Bee - "so as long as you take a fairly deep breath with it, it should be fine" - INDEEED!) http://www.resort.com/~banshee/Info/N2O/nitrous.dangers.html
Very interesting. It loosely seems to match my subjective impressions after 10 years of Nitrous use. Well 'E Bee' aka 'Joelle' I am not sure what your agenda is here, but I thought the aim of Bluelight was to present an objective view of the things we take and do, so that individuals can make INFORMED decisions as to what they may be doing with their bodies. You may want to falsely justify to yourself that your habits are completely harmless, but it is highly destructive to dupe others with disinformation which could well result in permanent brain damage.
Anyway I am tired of this topic.
Now where can get some of those beige CKs?
Wishing you all an 'out of it' New Year.

Sorry about the multiple posts. The server said that there was an error about 7 times. By the time it was accepted with a single notification, it seems that 3 copies were posted.

don't worry, i cleaned up after ya... you know you can delete your own multiple posts? just click on the li'l pencil/paper icon above your post and choose delete message when you get the editing screen. if you posted the message you should be able to delete it, if not, well its that bugy software again.
jb

Well, "Kaleidoscopic Psychedelic", if you had of included such information in your first post, you would have been informing us alot more, instead of just leaving it open for comment (which obviously makes you narky).
Manufacturers may not care about nitrous abusers, but I'm sure they care about health regulations, and if there are no such regulations in the country of manufacture, then maybe we should all take more notice of what we buy.
The point I was making is that I could find no information on the different grades of nitrous available, not even the difference between production for clinical and engine uses.
I am not defending nitrous, but the general consensus is that (as with all substances) moderation is the key to "healthy" use. I found in the articles that I read that the authors were refering to extended use (30 - 120 minutes) of nitrous, when they talked about serious damage being done (and anyone who would inhale nang after nang for that long would have to be brain dead already to think it wouldn't do any damage). How long does it take for your brain to start becoming damaged from lack of oxygen? If its less than the time you hold in a lung full (minus a breath of air) of nitrous, then most of the population must have suffered a fair amount of brain damage from holding their breath when swimming underwater or holding in a toke of pot for the same amount of time.
Anyway, I'm tired...I don't have the time or energy to defend myself against your flaming. If you can't handle people questioning what you say, don't post to public forums.
------------------
the bluelighter formerly known as Joelle :)