• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS 8-6-2004 - 5 heroin overdoses in sydney.

themagicmushroom

Bluelighter
7 news just said there was 5 heroin ODs in sydney this afternoon:(, supposedly from super strong gear... I figured I should menton it in the name of harm minimisation. If you use, be safe yeah?

I'm pretty sure the 'Heroin Toll' count in the Herald Sun jumped last week from 39 to 47 in two days last week but no other mention was made in the paper of this. Surely this must be an updated tally that encompassed a couple of weeks worth of heroin deaths?

Just to reiterate; yeah there does appear to be strong gear around.

crap!! Insurge of opiates, spose we should all blame bush and his war on a free world hey!

It took some searching;

7news on Seven - it's the third one down... It's a video, and so small it doesn't seem worth typing out.

:)

There's been an increase in heroin overdoses all over Australia in the last couple of months.

I'm always a little sceptical about the claims of "super strong batches" going around. Even when the heroin is strong, the number one cause of fatal heroin overdose is mixing benzos and/or alcohol.

has the situation in Afganistan effected Austrlian Herion supplies at all? I havnt heard anything, I thought the media would latch on if it was the case?

^ One could imagine that if there were political points to gain from making this link, it would have been exploited already?

BigTrancer :)

BT: Very true. I did hear some stories about heroin production over there absolutly sky rocketing after the Bush Debacle. I imagine it would be a tenuous link to argue in parliement though. Realy hard to prove how much drugs are being made not like bush has "Drug Inspectors" yet, is H classed as a "Drug of Mass Descruction" yet.

They forced lots the poppy farmers in Afghanistan to start growing other stuff a little while ago...the farmers weren't too happy because poppys make a lot more money than whatever obscure grain they had to plant instead.

Almost all heroin in Australia is imported from the "Golden Triangle" region of south east Asia. Afghan heroin goes to Europe.

how would u know that? i saw a thing on 60minutes a few weeks back about the opium from Afghanistan. they reckon 90% of the worlds opium is grown there... so some how id say everywhere in the world gets shit from over there.

maybe 90% of the worlds opium goes to europe and from there elsewhere, then?

because geographically; asia is closer to our continent than, say, afghan for example.

I'd trust what Flexistentialist has to say, if I remember correctly he works for a needle exchange program?

:)

actualy I read something here recently about heroin being diverted through other countries (europe was mentioned) before reaching its desination. The artical was mainly about the golden triangle area. This was apparently done to divert attention and racial proffiling at entry points to countries. Anyway it all getting a bit OT...

drugfuked - I wouldn't trust 60 Minutes to give the correct info.

Australian Institute of Criminology
Researching Heroin Supply
Shona Morrison

Australia’s Heroin Supply

The bulk of heroin entering Australia originated from opium poppies cultivated in the Golden Triangle (UNDCP 2002b). Myanmar (formerly Burma) is the largest source country for opium in this region (Figure 3).

apollo - You're correct.

lol meh we cant really argue about something that neither of us will ever know 100%

But..

if 50% of Afghanistans economy is raised through the sales of opium paste, and 90% of the worlds OPIUM is grown in Afghanistan then 1 would assume that the vast majority of the worlds HEROIN is produced from OPIUM PASTE exported from Afghanistan??

How much of the worlds total heroin consumption would u think australia could take responsibilty for? i dont really have any idea but id guess that the relative Heroin Consumers / Population ratio would be much higher in Australia (2 % at a guess) than it would be in places like africa and asia where its probably something more like .02%?

i assume from basic living conditions in these over crouded countries.

ill just point out again that i said Heroin consumption. meaning not them funny old ladies smoking opium paste from massive bamboo pipes that i have seen photos of =D

meh i dont really care either way. 1 thing i have learned in the last 6months (began recreational drug taking) is that 99% of the shit we have ever been told about drugs was false or grocely exagerated so ill just finish this one with a " meh who really cares? :D "

bit off topic but just my thoughts ;)

was bored anyway hehe

Last edited:
OT:
meh i dont really care either way. 1 thing i have learned in the last 6months (began recreational drug taking) is that 99% of the shit we have ever been told about drugs was false or grocely exagerated so ill just finish this one with a " meh who really cares? "
That's where the purpose of BL comes into play, by attempting to provide factual references when we post information we aim to dispel the myths that surround the 'taboo' drug information that is made so difficult to obtain. We encourage people to provide sources for their statistics, for example, so that if someone quotes a number like "2% at a guess", they need not weaken their argument by pulling a number out of thin air, but rather hammer their point home by quoting from a reference. There's no need to resign yourself to a 'who cares?' answer, when the facts are available... and there's also no reason to perpetuate the spread of misinformation when we can correct the misconceptions forced upon people by others who are not in the know.

BigTrancer :)