PDA

View Full Version : DXM or Alcohol?

mew151
25-05-2004, 04:27
Which one of these two substances are more damaging to your body? I was thinking alcohol, but im not sure.

See, my friend thinks that 700mg of DXM will do much more damage to my body than a bunch of alcohol. I disagree with him.

Problem is, he wont let me trip at 700 at his house, which is the only place I can trip at cuz his folks wont be home.

Hes never Dexxed before, btw. I think hes just paranoid.

Edvard Munch
25-05-2004, 12:29
Given if you only do it once, (ex. 700 milligrams compared to 6 shots of vodka, accountaing for body weight, tolerance and all that good crap) they're just about equal in not doing much long term damage.

Ill give the award for short term damage (memory impairment, motor cordination) to DXM. Ill give the award for long term damage to alcohol considering its toxicity of the liver, kidneys, mental function, etc.

And then there is of course the concept that you really cant compare the two because "a lot" in DXM form maybe two 700 milligram trips and alcohol's "a lot" nowadays seems to be a glass of wine here, a can beer there, every single day.

Whats redder? Lemons or blueberries?

[THC]God
26-05-2004, 00:55
I would have to say that alcohol is overall worse for you, mainly long term. DXM can differ in the way you take it. Drinking robo takes a toll on your liver like alcohol, but if you do it in the form of coricidin's...now thats horrible for you. What would you rather have, a bad liver, or lesions on your BRAIN. DXM has the worst short term effects, or "DXM Brain", but alcohol will kill ya faster over time if you drink a lot.

mew151
27-05-2004, 00:30
Dude, Olneys Lesions have been disproven:
http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/dxm/dxm_health2.shtml

K'dOUTinAZ
27-05-2004, 01:26
Alcohol is more neurotoxic and physically toxic than the majority of all recreational drugs. The only (recreational) drug that actually kills gray matter, drink enough over time and you may get "wet brain". It also produces withdrawls that may lead to seizures, convulsions, and death.

I dunno what is worse for one night...what is (a lot) of alcohol?

mew151
27-05-2004, 01:57
A lot of alcohol, i think, would be enough to physically impair you. You know, cant walk straight, speak right, or remember anything from the night before.

dark_angel177
27-05-2004, 02:17
I'm going to agree with the general consensus on this one and say alcohol. K'd hit it right on the head.

mew151
27-05-2004, 06:03
So how safe is DXM compared to other drugs based on the damage it does to the body and mind?

geetered
27-05-2004, 17:12
DXM is actually a bit more dangerous than other drugs, but i think its about even with alcohole... neither one are safe, but a low dose of DXM (under 600mg) every week would probably do the same damage as a medium dose of alcohle (under 8-10 shots)... www.erowid.com

Mr.Codeine
28-05-2004, 17:11
DXM is probably between Ketamine and PCP in dissociasive
drugs acording to PCP the more worst after effects... I never see any article comparing DXM with alcohol because the damage are not sharing the same type of health problem

lyXw33d
27-08-2004, 03:14
if you get to the third or fourth plateau with dxm it's a shitload worse than say 12 shots of vodka. also "a low dose of dxm"....under 600 mg? not low...low is under 200 (for the ~150 weight range)...600 mg's once a week for a month is really damn bad for you, especially compared to the 'medium dose of alochol' you wrote

deviate
27-08-2004, 07:45
just from feeling the drugs on myself i would say dxm is worse but both are bad.

Laquatus0
27-08-2004, 07:59
Short term, DXM. Long term, Alcohol.

Don't do DXM.

geetered
27-08-2004, 08:21
Originally posted by Laquatus0
Short term, DXM. Long term, Alcohol.

Don't do DXM.

Do not flame in Drug Basics. This is your only verbal (well sorta verbal) warning, next time you will receive a CLAWS.

For me DXM is a wonderful drug!!! Its actually one of my favorites.

K'dOUTinAZ
27-08-2004, 13:40
I hate people who say certain drugs suck cause they didn't like 'em

Adam X
27-08-2004, 16:55
Except for the dangers of combining large amounts of DXM with serotonin increasing drugs, DXM is fairly with a very wide therapeutic margin. DXM can actually be neuroprotective in some instances. DXM-only fatal overdoses are extremely rare.

Alcohol is a toxin which can damage every single cell it comes in contact with. Alcohol is associated with an increased risk of many cancers. Alcohol overdoses are commonly fatal.

X

MattPD
27-08-2004, 18:35
Alcohol, from all I've read and experienced, is certainly worse for you than DXM.

DXM, while it may have some neurotoxic effects (none of which I've seen conclusive studies about) has, as Adam said, been found to be neuroprotective in some cases.

Whereas alcohol is basically just poison.

lyXw33d
02-09-2004, 06:50
^lol maybe it'll take a few hours of research but no that's not correct (unless of course you compare someone who drinks 20 shots a day, every day, with someone who does dxm every 5 days)

[edit - i think it's just a bl/druggie thing - they think that alcohol is just terrible poison compared to drugs (oh especially weed...i love the alcohol vs weed debate [i'm not saying that weed isn't 1000 times safer than alcohol considering neurotoxicity levels of alcohol, but that's a different issue])...probably because most of today's society thinks that alcohol is pretty damn harmless and this is the druggie's protest against the illegality of drugs]

MattPD
02-09-2004, 06:59
Any drug is bad if you abuse it. If you'll notice the poster asked about a single occasion, i.e. using 700mg DXM versus getting sloshed. There was nothing said about habitual use.

However, I challenge you to find me a study that states that DXM is directly neurotoxic. Go ahead, do it. Betcha can't. I'd also like you to find me an article regarding DXM (in its pure form i.e. not combing it with guaf, or pseudo or APAP) and it's hepatotoxic properties.

Now, while you spend hours on that I can whip up 100+ articles on how alcohol is directly neurotoxic and 100 more on its effects on the liver.

So, please, cite your sources before you post.

MattPD
02-09-2004, 07:05
Hell, here I've got four on neurotoxicity already! You're getting behind!

Saghir M, Werner J, Laposata M. Rapid in vivo hydrolysis of fatty acid ethyl esters, toxic nonoxidative ethanol metabolites. Am J Physiol 1997 Jul;273(1 Pt 1):G184-90

Calabrese V, Scapagnini G, Catalano C, Dinotta F, Bates TE, Calvani M, Stella AM. Effects of acetyl-L-carnitine on the formation of fatty acid ethyl esters in brain and peripheral organs after short-term ethanol administration in rat. Neurochem Res 2001 Feb;26(2):167-74

Mantle D, Preedy VR. Free radicals as mediators of alcohol toxicity. Adverse Drug React Toxicol Rev 1999 Nov;18(4):235-52

J Nutr 1973 Apr;103(4):536-42 Related Articles, Books Nutritional interrelationships among vitamin E, selenium, antioxidants and ethyl alcohol in the rat. Levander OA, Morris VC, Higgs DJ, Varma RN.

Sun AY, Sun GY. Ethanol and oxidative mechanisms in the brain. J Biomed Sci 2001 Jan-Feb;8(1):37-43

Lieber CS. ALCOHOL: its metabolism and interaction with nutrients. Annu Rev Nutr 2000;20:395-430

;)

Chubba75
02-09-2004, 07:05
DXM at the 3rd (or 4th if you're that crazy) level in my personal experience is so damaging to the mind and body that even the heaviest of drinking nights cannot match up to (remember, I'm posting this purely on how I felt mentally and physically, not scientific data).

I've tripped at 300mg, 600mg and 900mg... the 300mg dose I only suffered a slight day after hangover. 600mg I had negative side effects for 2 - 3 days after. At 900mg I was still feeling negative side effects for a full 7 days after the trip.

I would rather my friend drunk alcohol at my house then trip on 700mg of DXM.

Bad_Boy_Blue
02-09-2004, 17:07
Originally posted by MattPD
Whereas alcohol is basically just poison.

I don't like disagreeing with you, as most of the time you're right, but I have to say that from what I've read, in low doses, alcohol can prevent age-related decreases in mental function, heart disease, cardiovascular disease etc.

Also, to my surprise, in low doses, alcohol can actually help to maintain the health of your liver.

I agree though, in recreational doses, alcohol is simply poison.

Bad_Boy_Blue
02-09-2004, 17:09
Since alcohol and DXM act on completely different parts of the brain, objectively it's hard to compare the extent to which they are neurotoxic.

Bad_Boy_Blue
02-09-2004, 17:12
Originally posted by mew151
Dude, Olneys Lesions have been disproven:
http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/dxm/dxm_health2.shtml

Can I just say that in the article it basically explains that Olney's lesions haven't been disproven. It only states that no firm conclusion can be made as to whether Olney's lesions are caused with the current data/evidnece available and that William White was wrong in concluding this. There is no evidence that supports the idea that Olney's lesions do not occur in humans. It's still perfectly possible, it just quite unlikely.

MattPD
02-09-2004, 17:42
Originally posted by Bad_Boy_Blue
I don't like disagreeing with you, as most of the time you're right, but I have to say that from what I've read, in low doses, alcohol can prevent age-related decreases in mental function, heart disease, cardiovascular disease etc.

Also, to my surprise, in low doses, alcohol can actually help to maintain the health of your liver.

I agree though, in recreational doses, alcohol is simply poison.

That I can definetly concede. If someone takes 1-2 drinks a day it can be healthful.

But we are talking about recreational usage here, not supplemental.

tramagesty
02-09-2004, 21:20
Originally posted by K'dOUTinAZ
Alcohol is more neurotoxic and physically toxic than the majority of all recreational drugs. The only (recreational) drug that actually kills gray matter, drink enough over time and you may get "wet brain". It also produces withdrawls that may lead to seizures, convulsions, and death.

I dunno what is worse for one night...what is (a lot) of alcohol?
I would say, butane/other such inhalants are the most harmful rec. drugs (but that's only if you consider them rec. drugs...)

ll vapid ll
03-09-2004, 00:34
from my personal experience, id say DXM was worse for you.

I can easily drink every night, day after day with only a little hang over which goes away easily and fast.

But when i tried doing DXM 3 days in a roll once by the end of the 3rd day i could not focus (vision was blury), could not speak with out slurring, walked like i was drunk, my whole body felt like it was ran over a few times, and i could barely think about anything long enough to remember. This did not go away as an alcohol hang over would after a few hours, but more like it lasted with me over a weeks time.

Adam X
03-09-2004, 01:10
If someone takes 1-2 drinks a day it can be healthful.

Any amount of alcohol ingested on a daily basis increases the risk of cancer. Yes, some of the compounds in red wine have antioxidant and blood-thinning properties. However, alcohol at any dosages is acutely toxic. A reduced risk of a heart attack is nice, but not at the cost of an increased cancer risk.

X