• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Benzo Potentiators?

Darvocet (propoxyphene) slightly decreases peak plasma levels, but it drastically reduces clearance and increases half life. They work well together.

Last edited:
I'f tou really wanne be kockout by benzo's try some REMERON.....fuck man i did that today and slept for ages

I took 60 mg liberium and 30mg remeron....pfffff....you feel like shit do when you whake uo......

Darvocet (propoxyphene) decreases xanax clearance by 38%, increased half-life by58%. It drops peak plasma [] by 6% (not multiplied by 4 like I said previously). I was wrong in my previous post.

CYP3A inhibitors reduce clearance, increase plasma concentrations, and extend half life of xanax (not all benzos I think). The xanax needs cytochrome P450 3A to get metabolized, so taking a cyp3a inhibitor increases plasma levels significantly. I prefer (and always have a gallon in the fridge) grapefruit juice. Big glass an hour before - and another when you wash down your sublingual xanax...

Last edited:
Just to muddy things up a bit more, I heard that most of the chem in gf that inhibits 3a4 is found in the skin/husk/hull/whatever, and barely any/alot less is found in the actual fruit inside. I don't know how much of the skin is used to make the juice. There's also the fact that diff juices have diff amounts of 'real' gf juice in them.

So only god knows how much a glass will inhibit 3a4, and it also probably differs greatly between brands, hell maybe during the season within a single brand.

Cimetidine increases the duration and sedative effects of triazolo analog benzodiazepines which include Alprazolam, Estazolam, Loprazolam (not lorazepam), Triazolam, Midazolam, and Ketazolam to name a few. However, it also increases the sedative effects of Diazepam which is not a triazolo analog. You want to take the Cimetidine 45 minutes before consuming the benzodiazepine and if possible one more right when you take the benzodiazepine. Grapefruit juice increases potency and sedation of certain benzodiazepines. Alcohol and barbiturates would both increase the potency of benzodiazepines as they both affect the GABA-A receptors. Muscle relaxors, especially Carisoprodol will increase potency. Propoxyphene, as mentioned earlier, is also another potentiator. Just about any other depressant.

About how much of the 'good stuff' is found in ruby red/generic ruby red?

Is there any in the juice/fruit or is it ALL in the husk?

Oh fuck me.

What about mixing Valerian with benzos? Would it be dangerous?

My 2004 PDR mentions that valerian and kava kava may potentiate benzodiazepine sedation and if there is any source that I trust, it would be the PDR...

One more thing, smoking tobacco after consuming hypnotic benzodiazepines decreases the effects.

IF Alprazolam is not affected by consumption of grapefruit juice, than why, may I ask, do both my Instant and Extended release Xanax (brand-name) prescription bottles have labels on them that say, and I do quote, :
"Never consume grapefruit products while taking this medication", along with the normal 'no alcohohol and be careful driving lingo?

I believe the potentiation works quite nicely, having had sizable results myself. I have no way, however, to scientifically prove this. Just thought I'd bring up the label issue, which, if it has been discussed before in this thread, i apologize as I am wacked on Xanax at the moment and couldnt bear to read all of the posts before making mine.

K'dOUTinAZ said:

One more thing, smoking tobacco after consuming hypnotic benzodiazepines decreases the effects.

Very, very interesting... and I was just about to go have a cigarette, too:(

Would you mind providing a link, K'dout, explaining why this is? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

About the post before last...what do you mean? The Bergamottin in grapefruit/juice inhibits the CYP-3A4, hepatic, metabolic pathway quite nicely. Cimetidine, about an hour before ingesting alprazolam works even better (IMO).

Better yet, do the cimetidine AND wash your alprazolam down with a nice hefty dose of grapefruit fruit, and you should feel the effects that this enzymatic inhibition provides...:\

Vaya said:
Would you mind providing a link, K'dout, explaining why this is? It would be much appreciated.

Sorry, I get my information from my copy of the 2004 PDR and the 2005 Nurse's Drug Guide. I get some of my information from the internet but that is not where I got this information. I trust the PDR over anything (For obvious reasons!) else. After I read about this I decided to do my own testing on this claim and it sure as hell made an impact, it was so much harder to get sleep and the effects weren't nearly as sedating. I make sure to smoke before taking my medication.

Remember, this only goes for hypnotic benzodiazepines, not anxiolytics, antipanics, or anti-convulsant property benzodiazepines. Examples are ProSom, Halcion, Restirol. Don't worry about smoking with Xanax, Valium, Ativan, Klonopin, etc. The effects aren't reduced.

^Do you think smoking really effects its effects to a degree that its noticable? Why does smoking effect the effects?

As I mentioned earlier, I noticed less sedation. I would also like to know why it is that smoking decreases the effects, the PDR doesn't even expand on this topic. I'm thinking about going out on a Google search and see if I find anything useful.

The following mentions that smoking decreases Ativans effects

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:...+benzodiazepine+decrease+effect+smoking&hl=en[/url]

I didn't even think that smoking decreases the effects of non-hypnotic benzodiazepines but from this source, supposedly Ativan is effected by smoke...

There were many other hits on Google but can't find a reason why this is.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I'll admit I'd trust the PDR myself as well.

Xanax was the benzodiazepine in question, so if that is not affected by cigarette smoking, well.... bring on the nicotine!

I was going to hypothesize that perhaps the rush of dopamine caused by the smoking of a cigarette in some way inhibits the action of the effects Xanax has on the GABA-A receptor, but other benzo's with same molecular attachment sites ARE affected by smoking whilst Xanax is not.

Sounds like a job for Mr. BilZor to me...

K'dOUTinAZ said:
After I read about this I decided to do my own testing on this claim and it sure as hell made an impact, it was so much harder to get sleep and the effects weren't nearly as sedating. I make sure to smoke before taking my medication.

I had never heard of any research before but was fairly convinced smoking interfered with oxazepam (Serax/Serepax) so would try not to smoke when i took it (and i took it alot and smoke alot). However oxazepam is an anxiolytic so it could have easily been all in my head, i was perscribed it for sleep though and oxazepam like Ativan is an anxiolytic that can be used as a sedative (according to the below linked chart).

A look at http://www.bluelight.ru/publi/benzodiazepines_chart.pdf
also shows:

Increased BZ levels by: allopurinol, oral contraceptives, cimetidine, estrogen, erythromycin, fluoxetine,
isoniazid, omeprazole, valproic (less DI effect on lorazepam, oxazepam, temazepam, but increased effect on 2-Keto BZ);

BZ levels decreased by: carbamazepine, phenobarbital, rifampin & smoking.

Last edited:
I've noticed this (subtle, but definitely there) interaction between both anxiolytics that I've been prescribed regularly (alprazolam & lorazepam). Here's a little info. from "Stockley's Handbook of Drug Interactions":

"Clinical evidence, mechanism, importance and management-

Some studies have suggested that smoking does not affect the pharmacokinetics of diazepam, chlordiazepoxide, clorazepate, lorazepam, midazolam, or triazolam, but others have found that the clearance of alprazolam, clorazepate, diazepam, lorazepam, and oxazepam from the body is increased by smoking, but not all the changes are significant. The Boston Collaborative Drug Surveillance Program reported a decreased frequency of drowsiness in those on diazepam or chlordiazepoxide who smoked, which confirmed the findings of a previous study. The probable reason is that some of the components of tobacco smoke are enzyme-inducing agents, which increase the rate at which the liver metabolises these benzodiazepines thereby reducing their effects and side-effects. The inference to be drawn is that smokers may possibly need larger doses than non-smokers to achieve the same therapeutic effects, and smoking also possibly reduces the drowsiness that the benzodiazepines can cause. However, one study suggested that caffeine intake, and others suggest age, may affect the response to benzodiazepines, so the picture is not altogether clear. Whether any of these interactions has much clinical relevance awaits assessment."

So it does seem that this is something being looked at... :\

Last edited: