Describe your most glorious academic achievement

bong420tripper

Bluelighter
So, everyone has to have had that one assignment, exam, paper, or whatever that challenged them to the very max. You worked your ass off and put a lot of hard work and pride into the assignment. You did your very best. To top it off, you got a great grade that you were very happy with.

Hopefully, at the very least!

I would love to hear these stories, so if you would perhaps share them. Perhaps they could even be of inspiration to those who may currently be in a bind at school with a rather tough task of some sort. If you work hard, there may always be a light at the end of the tunnel. And I don't know about you, but the feeling I get when I get a good grade on something I worked really hard on is just a great feeling.

So please, do tell :D

Senior year, AP Biology, My favorite subject. Day before finals, my grade is such that I need to get a 97% on the final exam to get an 89.5% (A-) in the class. My test average for the semester is something like 95%, but my homework grade is quite low (59%), thus my tough situation.

I studied my ass off for the entire day prior to the exam, from the time I got out of school that day at 11, to 12 that night when I could no longer stay awake. I set my alarm for 5, and studied another 3 hours that morning. I get to school, barely on time, take the exam, barely finishing it.

Come back the next day to look at grade chart. 98% on Final exam, I got the A.

I probably have a greater achievement, but this is the only one I can remember right now. Although the grade really didn't matter, it was a huge deal to me, because it was my favorite subject, and I wanted to prove to everyone that I could get away with doing barely any homework, not turning in lab work, but pulling out all the stops for exams. It was actually an ongoing joke in the class that I didn't do any homework yet always got the highest test grades.

BTW, the exam was 120 multiple-choice, 5 page-long (approx) essays.

My greatest achievement in school so far was all of last semester. I got a 4.0.

My parents told me that if I got a 4.0, they would buy me a laptop..It always helps to have something to work for.:)

<boasting>

in college i got 2 100%s. once in freshman chem and once in inorganic. in the inorganic exam i left about 20 minutes early and apparently the professor graded it right there and announced it to the whole fucking class. the grades weren't released for a week, so whenever i ran into my chem friends they'd make fun of me - totally worth it.

also i'm proud of my B+ in my freshman writing classes. my writing totally improved from those, and the B+ was a ton of work for me.

</boasting>

I have designed a java program that emulates a Von-Neuman Harvard-16 architecture CPU. You can write your own assembly programs for it, and run the program. It has a GUI for it too, so you can literally see the program bouncing around between all the different CPU registers. This project bolstered my confidence in my own capabilities more than any other thing I have done. I love code. I would love to write code for NASA, or work with SuperComputers.

I wrote an Economics paper that the teacher photocopied and handed a copy to the rest of the class when we got them back. I was not the slightest bit embarresed and was stoked. Funilly enough, the teacher was still giving the paper out 2 years later when my sister did her HSC. I dunno, I've got too many glorious achievements to mention 8) ;)

I did a research paper for a social psychology class last spring that was by far the most difficult assignment I've ever tackled in school--especially considering that I had only a bare bones background in both sociology and psychology. I did original research, backed it up with similar scholarly studies, and worked it up into tidy little tables and everything.

Not only did I get an A, but the teacher liked it so much that she actually invited me to present it at a sociology conference among grad students and professors, which I did just this Spring Break. It was one of the proudest moments of my life. :)

diegoblunt said:
I wrote an Economics paper that the teacher photocopied and handed a copy to the rest of the class when we got them back. I was not the slightest bit embarresed and was stoked. Funilly enough, the teacher was still giving the paper out 2 years later when my sister did her HSC. I dunno, I've got too many glorious achievements to mention 8) ;)

that is hot! i've always wanted that to happen, but my writing sucks...

Originally posted by diegoblunt

hehe. When I was in Year 5 (1993) I wrote a poem about ANZAC Day. Apparently the same woman still teaches the class and still hands my poem out on the day (or day after). Funny. Actually, that may well be my greatest academic achievement :p

having a 4.0 this semester while taking 18 hours with every class being for one of my two majors (no electives here folks)
Lemme tell ya...18 hours KICKS YOUR ASSSSSSSS...but I'm doin it again next semester in the hopes of early graduation

i got a 4.0 one semester while taking 16 credits, doing field work, and working.

I've gotten a 100% on two papers I have done. One in a Neuropsych class and one in a Philosophy/Anthropology class. Those both felt good because I did a huge amount of research for them and felt quite validated by the grades.

I've also gotten the highest scores on tests twice, once in Physics and once in Organic Chemistry. Those both felt good because people assume that I'm not that smart for some reason or another. I get some weird looks when people find out I got 20 points more than them on a test.

spork said:
My greatest achievement in school so far was all of last semester. I got a 4.0.

My parents told me that if I got a 4.0, they would buy me a laptop..It always helps to have something to work for.:)

lol I wish my parents gave me a laptop for that. All I got for mine was my mom saying "Good, you better keep it so you can get into medical school."

Go figure. That's my greatest too :)

in 1st semester last year I had an absolute mine field of major tragedies to deal with - I lost my license for DUI and had to go to court, I was having horendous fights with my flatmate, I was dealing with major anxiety and depression and most significantly my ill father passed away :( . I still managed to get 76%, 68%, 84% and 82% in my subjects and the highest exam mark of the class in marketing communications.

After getting respective grades of D on the midterm, then a C and C- in the next two quarters, i pulled a 5 on my AP Chem Exam. And on my AP Lit and AP US History Exams.

Now if only my grades were higher that year, but i damn well showed those teachers. I mean, what the hell does homework and busy work have to do with an AP class???

i worked hard - finger-crushingly hard - on an essay about medieval islamic heresy. the tutor gave it the highest mark our department has ever given :) which made me a-tingly.

the best thing about getting good results is that it clearly affects your motivations levels & urges you to work more.

thats tough:

Finishing the AP bio exam 30 minutes before everybody else, and getting a 5 was cool. Much cooler though, was editing my high school paper, and having students, teachers, and parents all approach me (to this day, 4 years later) and tell me how great it was the year I ran it.

Those were both highschool. College hasn't been as rewarding. I think my finest moment here, so far, has been my folklore collection and analysis project on drug addict and alcoholic "bottom stories", though I hope to do my directed study regarding modern or contemporary art in the fall. I hope that blows everything I've ever undertaken out of the water.

Well.....last semester I got a 4.0 taking matrix algebra, trigonometry and phys. chem. I was pretty stoked. I'll be happy if I can pull a B in the chem I'm taking this semester.