• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

14 Year Old O/D's on "Ecstasy" (Minor updates 3/23/05)

E-llusion

Bluelight Crew
14 Year Old O/D's on "Ecstasy" (Updated Jun-25)

Town Responds to Middle School Ecstasy Overdose

April 26, 2004

BELMONT (BCN) -- While a 14-year-old girl who apparently overdosed on Ecstasy this weekend remains hospitalized in critical condition, her community is coming together to discuss how to keep its youth off drugs.

Just three weeks ago, parents attended an informational meeting on drugs at Ralston Middle School, where the girl is an eighth-grader, according to Belmont-Redwood Shores School District Superintendent John McIntosh.

The parents were given pamphlets detailing the kinds of drugs their students could come in contact with, including the drugs' effects and what they look like.

However, McIntosh said he was surprised to learn that a drug like Ecstasy was circulating among such a young age group.

"This drug was a real shock," McIntosh said, adding that this is the first time Belmont police have dealt with an Ecstasy case involving a middle school student.

"When you get into the more hard-core drugs, the use is much less prevalent," he said.

The young teen took Ecstasy with two other 14-year-old girls during a slumber party at a home on Lincoln Avenue, according to police.

Shortly after 7 a.m. Saturday, someone called police from the home reporting that the girl was unconscious. She was rushed to an area hospital, where she has remained in critical condition ever since.

Police arrested 20-year-old Belmont resident Antonio Rivera, along with an unidentified 17-year-old boy, for allegedly supplying the drug to the girls.

In the course of the investigation into the overdose, police say they have uncovered an array of other drugs, including rock cocaine, powder cocaine and marijuana.

Acting police Capt. Patrick Halleran said he did not have information on the quantity of drugs confiscated or whether the girls at the slumber party had come into contact with drugs other than Ecstasy.

Officials at the National Institute on Drug Abuse, which is part of the National Institutes of Health, say Ecstasy, or MDMA, has earned an underserved reputation among some users as a "safe drug."

That, along with the fact that many users experience a temporary euphoria while on the drug, has contributed to a rise in the drug's popularity, according to a NIDA report.

The drug's pleasant effects include "feelings of mental stimulation, emotional warmth, empathy toward others, a general sense of well-being and decreased anxiety," according to the report.

However, "MDMA is not a benign drug," the report reads. "MDMA can produce a variety of adverse health effects, including nausea, chills, sweating, involuntary teeth clenching, muscle cramping and blurred vision. MDMA overdose can also occur - the symptoms can include high blood pressure, faintness, panic attacks and, in severe cases, a loss of consciousness and seizures."

As the Belmont school community deals with the potent reminder that drugs are available to its kids, district officials are working to open communication lines between schools, students and parents.

McIntosh said letters are being sent home to parents by both the district and the principal at Ralston.

A meeting held Monday morning was attended by staff and counselors from the middle school, counselors from a local high school and the district, school psychologists and a Police Department counselor.

Teachers at Ralston were given a statement to read during homeroom period, and one counselor "shadowed" the schedule of the hospitalized girl, attending all the classes she normally attends and speaking to the girl's classmates.

"It's actually going well," McIntosh said. "The students are dealing with it the best they can."

Police Capt. Halleran said he hopes the incident can serve as a "wake-up call" to those who feel shocked that such an event could occur their own community.

"Hopefully some good can come of this," he said.

Link

Last edited:
They busted the girls with CRACK and powdered cocaine, but they are focusing on the MDMA.....seems kind of sketchy to me. Wouldnt one be more inclined to OD on the CRACK/COKE than the MDMA ?

Have you noticed that whenever they do realize that it wasn't mdma in the pill that they never make this announcement? They just keep making everyone believe that it was e.

That's shady....:\

it didnt say the girls had rock and pot the botys they got it from had the rock and pot..... re read

HF

how do you know they had crack + cocaine? yeah i read the story today in SF chron. mentioned neither.

I bet you they were drinking heavily, smoking weed and running up a bit of coke too, well throw some E on top of that and that's a trip to the hospital.

People drink and end up in hospital (or a morgue) all the time... yet ethyl alcohol is yet to be scheduled.....

Update

April 28/04

Belmont police are hearing numerous reports that the 14-year-old girl who overdosed on Ecstasy last weekend is brain dead despite an official statement from the hospital that there is no change in her condition.

“The official answer is that she has not been declared dead,” Acting police Capt. Pat Halleran said last night.

For the past 48 hours the girl has been listed as comatose. And with no official change in status, there is speculation that the overdose may have been fatal.

The unconscious eighth-grader was taken to a local hospital early Saturday morning after she and two friends took the illegal drug at a slumber party. She was originally listed in critical condition.

However, Halleran said he has received many calls from friends and family reporting the contrary.

“I’ve been hearing [the speculation] all day,” he said.

If the girl does die, her death will likely upgrade the criminal charges currently lodged against 20-year-old Antonio Rivera and a 17-year-old male who police believe provided the drug.

Rivera was formally charged yesterday afternoon with seven felonies and one misdemeanor — charges that could send him to prison for 15 to 20 years.

A death could hypothetically leave Rivera facing a murder charge although Chief Deputy District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said manslaughter is generally more appropriate in this type of case. He declined to be more specific unless the girl is officially declared deceased, but said a manslaughter conviction carries about four years in prison.

Medical tests would also be necessary to determine if another condition was responsible for her condition.

Although he was arrested in connection with the 14-year-old’s overdose Saturday, Rivera is believed to have sold drugs to minors on April 18, Wagstaffe said.

Rivera and his privately-retained attorney will return to court May 18 to enter a plea. Meanwhile, Court Commissioner Joseph Gruber reset Rivera’s bail at $1 million. Rivera’s defense attorney Charles B. Smith said in court he would review the case to see if a bail reduction hearing is warranted.

Authorities cannot discuss the case against the 17-year-old because he is a minor.

The girl and two other 14-year-old girls reportedly took the same amount of Ecstasy Friday night during a slumber party in the xxxx block of Lincoln Avenue. The victim was found unconscious Saturday morning and an adult phoned 911 at 7:15 a.m.

At about 6:45 p.m. Saturday, the 17-year-old youth was arrested and charged with furnishing Ecstasy to the victim. The next day, police arrived at Rivera’s home with a warrant and confiscated Ecstasy pills, rock cocaine, powder cocaine and marijuana. Police believe Rivera gave the Ecstasy to the 17-year-old who in turn gave it to the victim.

Rivera’s charges include three counts of providing drugs to minors — one for each girl (including the victim) who took the Ecstasy — furnishing drugs to a minor to sell, possessing drugs for sale and misdemeanor possession of marijuana.

The Belmont-Redwood Shores School District responded to the news of the overdose by sending letters to parents and having school counselors speak with students at Ralston Intermediate School.

From Here

Last edited by a moderator:
Man charged with giving girl ecstasy

A 20-year-old Belmont man who allegedly provided ecstasy to a 14-year-0ld Belmont girl now hospitalized in critical condition was charged Tuesday with seven felony drug charges and one misdemeanor.

Antonio Rivera Jr., who was arrested at his Belmont home Sunday, did not enter a plea. He remains in San Mateo County Jail on $1 million bail. If convicted of all counts for allegedly furnishing drugs to a minor and possessing narcotics, he could be sentenced to 12 years in prison. A 17-year- old Belmont boy was also arrested during the weekend for allegedly helping to supply the ecstasy to the girl and two of her friends.

Police said the three girls took the drugs during a sleepover Friday night. Only the 14-year-old experienced problems. She remained in critical condition Tuesday.

source

CousinNick650 said:
this happened very close to where i live, EVERYBODY at my school is yapping on about it. our english teacher even gave us a lecture on "the dangers of ecstasy" how it rots your brain (hahahaha) and yadda yadda. lots of kids are now very scared to try it or continue using it, just cuz of this dumb girl

Looks like the teachers are doing there job then if kids are scared to use it. 8th graders shouldn't be doing drugs anyways.

Teenage girl, low dose...I'd wager a small amount that this was a hyponatremia case. It's rather difficult to have a serious overdose from a pill or two (of anything.)

[size=big]Ecstasy victim, 14, dead[/size]
By Yunmi Choi, Daily Journal Staff

[size=big]T[/size]he 14-year-old girl from Belmont who overdosed on Ecstasy this weekend was officially declared dead after being taken off life support last night.

As first reported in the Daily Journal April 28, the girl was declared brain dead in the days following the incident despite an official statement from the Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital that there was no change in her critical condition. An official statement declaring the girl deceased came at 7:25 p.m. Wednesday.

In the 48 hours leading to her death, the girl was comatose.

Belmont police Cpl. Elizabeth Ritter said she didn’t know which family members were on hand to make the decision to take the girl off life support. An autopsy will begin sometime today.

The unconscious eighth-grader was taken to a local hospital early Saturday morning after she and two friends, both 14, took the illegal drug at a slumber party in the xxxx block of Lincoln Avenue. The victim was found unconscious Saturday morning and an adult phoned 911 at 7:15 a.m.

The death will likely upgrade the criminal charges currently lodged against 20-year-old Antonio Rivera and a 17-year-old male who police believe provided the drug. The case is being handled by the San Mateo County District Attorney’s Office.

Rivera was formally charged Tuesday afternoon with seven felonies and one misdemeanor — charges that could send him to prison for 15 to 20 years.

Chief Deputy District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe has said the girl’s death could hypothetically leave Rivera facing a murder charge, although manslaughter is generally more appropriate in this type of case. A manslaughter conviction carries about four years in prison.

Medical tests would also be necessary to determine if another condition was responsible for her condition.

Although he was arrested in connection with the 14-year-old’s overdose Saturday, Rivera is believed to have sold drugs to minors on April 18, Wagstaffe said.

Rivera and his privately-retained attorney will return to court May 18 to enter a plea. Meanwhile, Court Commissioner Joseph Gruber reset Rivera’s bail at $1 million. Rivera’s defense attorney Charles B. Smith said in court he would review the case to see if a bail reduction hearing is warranted.

Authorities cannot discuss the case against the 17-year-old because he is a minor.

At about 6:45 p.m. Saturday, the 17-year-old youth was arrested and charged with furnishing Ecstasy to the victim. The next day, police arrived at Rivera’s home with a warrant and confiscated Ecstasy pills, rock cocaine, powder cocaine and marijuana. Police believe Rivera gave the Ecstasy to the 17-year-old who in turn gave it to the victim.

Rivera’s charges include three counts of providing drugs to minors — one for each girl (including the victim) who took the Ecstasy — furnishing drugs to a minor to sell, possessing drugs for sale and misdemeanor possession of marijuana.

Read Original

:(

[edit: address + contact info]

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I have yet to figure out why this guy is being charged with 7 felonies and possibly murder. He sold the stuff to a 17yr.old who then gave the stuff to the girls. He should be charged with one count of drug trafficking, no? And the murder charge... well, we've all discussed that before. How could he have possibly murdered someone by handing them a pill? (not that HE even gave it to her!) Did he force it down her throat? No. God, personal responsibility please! 8)

"personal responsibility please!"

he's the only adult (18+) so he's going to get the most punishment. also we dont know the situation.. perhaps dude enlisted the 17 yr old specifically to deal to the school. if the guy was fronting him the pills knowing he was selling to school kids i think he should be held somewhat responsible.

Hmm, I really wish I knew what pills she took. This happened fairly close to where I live and the thought that pills like this are floating around is sort of frightening. Well, I am glad I have a MDMA powder source (stares at 100mg for tomorrow :D )

shezinphx said:
Looks like the teachers are doing there job then if kids are scared to use it. 8th graders shouldn't be doing drugs anyways.

but telling 8th graders outright lies about the drug? doesn't that do more harm than good?

^^True, but it's more of the medias fault for all of the propaganda. I mean, the teachers wouldn't be saying such things if the commercials said something like "Teen dies after taking two tabs of PMA" or "Teen dies from dehydration". MDMA is never the killer in these situations (well, only in certain cases). I hate it when I see commercials especially this new one that's always being aired that's like "Ashley died after taking two tabs of Ecstasy in a night". I'm sick of commercials and television shows that blame ecstasy (MDMA) for deaths.