• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

buying first pistol, suggestions?

JV

Bluelight Crew
ok, i want to get a pistol of some kind, but i dont know anything about guns. i want it mainly for target shooting. i have never shot a real gun before (as in, a gun w/ bullets, ive only shot bb & pellet guns). i would also like the gun to be somewhat small.

what would you guys suggest???

Do you want an actual target pistol, or something that would also suit home protection purposes?

i would suggest you

a) take a gun safety course, and
b) go to a range that allows gun rental and shoot a few first.

I would, of course, stay away from the larger calibers of guns. Not only are they heavy, but ammunition tends to be more expensive.

I know they have .22 semiauto pistols out there, if you're looking to shoot a lot on the cheap, this would be the way to go. If you've ever been to Wal-Mart's gun aisle they have huge huge boxes of .22 ammo for cheap.

With anything, I would get some pre-ban clips. There are tons of these at any gun show. Pre-ban clips are clips manufactured before (1993?) when some federal law or other said you can't manufacture clips that hold more than 10 rounds. You want to spend your time shooting, not constantly reloading your clips.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/ is a good place for online window shopping where you can get a good idea of prices to look for. I've never ordered anything using their service, but it comes highly recommended by a few libertarian columnists.

Shotgun News is a bigass magazine that they might sell at your local Tower Records or Borders. It has a lot of gun-oriented stuff, not just about shotguns.

A really easy way to learn about guns is walk into a gun store and ask questions. As long as you don't seem like a gang member or a psychotic loner, most of those places are pretty friendly.

And never, ever buy a gun at Wal-Mart. They're okay for ammunition and supplies should you need them, but a.) they're selling guns because they can and don't care one way or another about your Second Amendment rights and b.) they often have a large selection of crappy rifles and shotguns. And there's a chance the clerk behind the gun counter won't know anything useful.

Good luck, and be safe!

home protection, as well as target shooting. and im going to take a class this summer.

CMB: thanks a lot for that post. very informative.

For all around use, I personally prefer Glocks for handguns. CMB's suggestion to find pre-ban clips is spot on, you have NO idea how annoying it is reloading today's wimpy little 10-round clips over and over. I hate it!

BTW if you live close, Nevada is THE place to go if you want to purchase guns. It's like the Best Buy of the gun world.

Perhaps you should educate yourself on the workings of a gun and the laws and regulations concerning its use before buying one.

I would go for the .40 Glock for home protection. That is what I have, they have great stopping power for intruders. IF you want a target gun get a .22 because bullets are a lot cheaper.

i'm not for the use of weapons, but i consider the heckler & koch usp compact to be a good gun.

Ruger-336751.jpg

Ruger Mark I

If you want a nice little pistol, this is a great semi-auto .22. Pretty cheap too. I suggest you get one with the bull barrel (thicker and heavier) because it looks better, and reduces kick quite a bit.

And if you want a rifle, the Rugar 10/22 is great for going out and plinking stuff.

^ That looks like a bb gun....LMAO. If you use that for home protection that will just piss the robber off....

Now here's a hand gun....

glock40l.jpg

Glock Model 34, 35.

Caliber: 9mm Para. (M34), 40 S&W. (M35), 10-shot magazine.
Barrel: 5.32". Weight: 22.9 oz. Length: 8.15" overall.
Stocks: Integral. Strippled polymer. Sights: Dot on front, fully adjustable white outline rear. Features: Polymer frame, steel slide; double-action trigger with "Safe Action" system; three safeties; Tenifer finish. Imported from Austria by Glock, Inc.

Price: Model 34, 9mm . . . . . . . . . $770
Price: Model 35, 40 S&W . . .. . . . .$770
Price: Box of 9mm Para (50). . . . . $7-25 (Average)
Price: Box of 40 S&W (50) . . . . . . $9-26 (Average)
b]Price:[/b] Average price per bullet (9mm) ~14-50 cents.
Price: Average price per bullet (40 S&W) ~18-52 cents.

Heckler & Koch USP

Caliber: 9mm Para., 10-shot magazine, 40 S&W, 10-shot magazine.
Barrel: 4.25". Weight: 28 oz. Length: 6.9" overall. Stocks: Non-slip stippled black polymer. Sights: Blade front, rear adjustable for windage.
Features: New HK design with polymer frame, modified Browning action with recoil reduction system, single control lever. Special "hostile environment" finish on all metal parts. Available in SA/DA, DAO, left- and right-hand versions. Imported from Germany by Heckler & Koch, Inc.

Price: Right-hand . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $699
Price: Left-hand . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $714
Price: Stainless steel, right hand . . . . . $749
Price: Stainless steel, left-hand . . . . . . $799
Price: Box of 9mm Para (50). . . . . . . . . $7-25 (Average)
Price: Box of 40 S&W (50) . . . . . . . . . . $9-26 (Average)
Price: Average price per bullet (9mm) ~14-50 cents.

Heckler & Koch USP Compact

Similar to the USP except has 3.58" barrel, measures 6.81" overall, and weighs 1.60 lbs. (9mm). Available in 9mm Para, or 40 S&W with 10-shot magazine.

Price: Blue . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $719
Price: Blue w/control lever on right . . . . $744
Price: Stainless steel . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $769
Price: SS w/control lever on right . . . . . .$794
Price: Box of 9mm Para (50). . . . . . . . . . $7-25 (Average)
Price: Box of 40 S&W (50) . . . . . . . . . . . $9-26 (Average)
Price: Average price per bullet (9mm) ~14-50 cents.

Rugar Mark II Standard Autoloading Pistol
(Similar but updated version of what I posted)

Caliber: .22 LR, 10-shot magazine. Barrel: 4-3/4" or 6". Weight: 25 oz. (4-3/4" bbl.)
Length: 8-5/16" (4-3/4" bbl.) Stocks: Checkered plastic. Sights: Fixed, wide blade front, fixed rear.
Features: Updated design of the original Standard Auto. Has new bolt hold-open latch. 10-shot magazine, magazine catch, safety, trigger and new receiver contours.

Price: Blued (MK 4, MK 6) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $278
Price: In stainless steel (KMK 4, KMK 6) . . . . $364
Price: Box of .22 LR (500) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $18-26 (Average)
Price: Average price per bullet ~3-5 cents.

Nothing was said about using this for home defense. I believe I read 'mainly for target shooting'. Why would he want to spend upwards of $700 on something to target shoot with? With expensive ammo no less...8)

Last edited:
I have a .44 magnum, bitch'll tear half of someones head off.

Why use a .22 or something, for home protection, not even street protection or somewhere a gunfight could break out, thats like for special ops teams that may need to shoot a bunch of people all of sudden (.22 apparently has more mobility than a .44 magnum) or be more quiet or something. like a silenced .22 like a spy would use.

You have to be critical with those small guns and go for a headshot or heart shot specifically...otherwise they could pull their shit and shoot you or harm a family member or something.

.44's are fun too shoot too.

if thats not possible for you then go for a .50 AE desert eagle or .357 magnum.

I agree they are expensive. But, they are alot funnier to shoot than a .22, but like you said the bullets are more expensive too.

A .22 can be just to fun to shoot as any larger caliber pistol. Due to the fact that you get 10 times as many shots on the dollar as you would with the big boys. More shots = more fun.

Ok, I missed the post about home protection. But a Desert Eagle isn't needed.

Desert Eagle Mark XIX Pistol

Price: 357, 6" bbl., standard pistol . . . . . . . . $1,199.00
Price: 44 Mag., 6" standard pistol . . . . . . . . $1,199.00
Price: 50 Mag, 6" bbl., standard pistol . . . . . .$1,199.00

For a mix of target shooting, home protection. I say go for something like the Browning Forty-Nine Automatic Pistol [40 S&W ($440)], the Taurus Model PT-957 Auto Pistol [357 SIG ($508 )], if you're doing more target shooting. And the Beretta Model 3032 Tomcat Pistol [32 ACP ($333)], or North American Arms Guardian Pistol [32 ACP ($359)], if your focus more towards home protection.

Guns

Off-topic post removed: please read here before posting further in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Off-topic post removed: please read here before posting further in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator: